TZO.COM and HP MediaSmart Information
TZO Pricing and HP options
TZO Dynamic DNS services can be found as the default remote access option for HP MediaSmart and MediaVault servers. TZO has a partnership with HP to provide DDNS and related services to users of the HP MediaSmart. TZO DDNS was selected since the MS Live Domain Service (comes free with any Windows Home Server) doesn't provide support and TZO offers much more flexibility with SMTP and Domain/DDNS services such as the HP Custom domains offering - it allows you to get YOURNAME.COM for your server.
Pricing is as follows (all discounted from the normal TZO retail pricing)
- HP Personal Domains - free first year, then $9.99 per year, no additional fees.
- HP Custom Domains - $24.95 per year for the DDNS, If you already have a domain, you can simply point it to the TZO DDNS servers and just pay for the DDNS service ($24.95 per year)
- Domain Registration / Transfer - $14.95 per year for domain name registration or transfer. If you already have a domain, you can simply point it to the TZO DDNS servers and just pay for the DDNS service ($24.95 per year)
- Whois Privacy - $7.95 for one year, 2 years for $15.90, 3 years for $23.85 and so on. Whois Privacy can help protect your domain name registration details from SPAM,Domain Name scams and Identity theft. When you order WHOIS Privacy, your registration details such as your name, address, phone number and other details are hidden to help protect you.
TZO Support hours are 9AM-8PM EST Monday through Friday. TZO Offers a helpdesk option for email support tracking, and email@example.com is routed through the helpdesk by emailing us. If HP customers have a problem, they can call us and speak with a live TZO support rep, typically within seconds of placing the call. This super fast support, along with rock solid reliability and a strong knowledge of the product and it's inner workings are something you will not find with most DDNS providers...that old saying "you get what you pay for". TZO Support can be reached by phone at 978-433-6865 and press "2" for support.
With the SMTP services and photo webshare notifications, this is a free addition to the DDNS services that MS Live and many others will not offer. This is a free service provided along with the HP Personal or Custom domain option.
For those of you that wish not to use the TZO options, SMTP emailing could be trouble and you may not be able to send any webshare notifications. Why you ask? Many ISP's block port 25 OUTBOUND, and some not only do this but also restrict the usage of their SMTP server to email accounts within their domain name, so if you have your own custom domain and wish to setup SMTP delivery, you could be in for trouble. The TZO email notifications require ZERO setup and we send the email(s) for you. Outbound SMTP blocking and restrictions are becoming increasingly popular - all in attempts to control SPAM and Phishing attempts...but if can bite you if you don't realize this.
TZO also provides HTTP relay for relaying to the HTTPS port to secure all connections to your MSS. If you happen to have SSL blocked, the TZO HTTP relay can redirect the SSL connection to any port of your choice. Again, something that other DDNS providers may or may not offer - this is all included with your TZO service when using the HP custom or HP Personal domains
HP Personal Domains
The domain names are below that you can select from for free for 1 year - these are considered HP PERSONAL DOMAINS. After the first year, this HP Personal Domain can be purchased for $9.99 per year. At the time of writing, there is no "certificate" solution for the HP Personal domains below. If you select a CUSTOM domain name from TZO, you can get your own private SSL certificate
Examples of how they are used: You can get a domain name like Yourname.GotoMyHP.com and this would be the domain name you can use to get remote access to your server. This domain name can also be used for other things, so if you got a Linksys camera for example, you can set it up, forward the ports in your router and then use this domain name to connect to your camera as well. For example, the camera would probably be on port 1024 since port 80 is used by the HP Server, and if you wanted to reach the camera on port 1024, you would use http://www.Yourname.GotoMyHP.com:1024
HP Custom Domains
TZO also offers CUSTOM DOMAINS to users with the HP MediaSmart server. A CUSTOM DOMAIN name allows you to get your own private domain name for your server such as YOURDOMAINNAME.COM or YOURFAMILY.NET, etc The TZO Custom domain names are not free and there are no free trials for custom domains. You can choose to upgrade your free personal domain name at anytime to a CUSTOM DOMAIN. If you are using the HP Personal domain names and are getting a certificate error, you can solve this by selecting a CUSTOM DOMAIN and ordering your own SSL certificate for your private domain name.
TZO offers custom domains for $25.95 per year, and also offers domain name registration at a rate of $14.95 per year.
Examples of how custom domains are used: You can get a domain name like YourFamily.com and this would be the domain name you can use to get remote access to your server. This domain name can also be used for other things, so if you got a Linksys camera for example, you can set it up, forward the ports in your router and then use this domain name to connect to your camera as well. For example, the camera would probably be on port 1024 since port 80 is used by the HP Server, and if you wanted to reach the camera on port 1024, you would use http://www.YourFamily.com:1024
Using your HP Personal or Custom Domain for other things
Once the HP Personal or HP Custom domain names are setup they can be used for anything else too....not just the HP Home server as shown in the example above. You just need to setup the router, IP's and ports for the devices you wish to have remote access to. When using your domain name to remotely connect to other devices, use the "www" subdomain name. You should also use the "www" subdomain name when PINGING the domain. If you do not use the "www" subdomain, you'll get a different IP address - this IP is one of the TZO Web Relay servers used to redirect all requests (other than www) to the secure port set on the server - typcially port 443
TOP HP MSS questions for TZO Support
- SSL Certificate issue, How to get one, Why it comes up, how to get rid of it (See http://www.MyHomeServer.com under tutorials)
- TZO Pricing, pricing structure for HP customers (answers above)
- Using Remote Desktop to control the Mediasmart (use the "www" subdomain - see TZO HP MediaSmart Tutorial at http://www.tzo.com under support, tutorials)
- Pinging the domain name of the Mediasmart I get the wrong IP (web relay - ping the www subdomain - see TZO HP MediaSmart Tutorial at http://www.tzo.com under support, tutorials)
- Remote access is not working, ISP blocks port 80 and 443 (See http://www.MyHomeServer.com under tutorials)
- Help, I can't seem to login to the webshare (see http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01213339&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3548165)