It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:48 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I was really annoyed by the fact that the desktop background is disabled when you access your WHS via RDP. So I decided to try and get it working.

I trawled the registry but found nothing and opted to look into local policy settings.
Running gpedit.msc I found that a lot of the policy settings were missing (it seems MS has removed them on purpose) so I went about getting them back.

The local policy settings are stored in c:\windows\system32\GroupPolicy in the following folders and files: Adm / Machine / User and GPT.ini. (Don’t try to edit these directly)

On a Windows 2003 SBS server I created a blank Group Policy Object (GPO) .
On the WHS I moved out the files and folders in c:\windows\system32\GroupPolicy for safe keeping and copied in the blank GPO files in to the c:\windows\system32\GroupPolicy folder. (Note: the GroupPolicy folder is hidden)
Then on the WHS when I ran gpedit.msc all of the missing policy objects had returned.

I then altered the following settings in the Local Computer Policy:

Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Terminal Services/Enforce Removal of Remote Desktop Wallpaper – Disabled
User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Desktop/Active Desktop/Enable Active Desktop – Enabled
User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Desktop/Active Desktop/Prohibit changes – Disabled
User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Desktop/Active Desktop/Prohibit adding items – Disabled
User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Desktop/Active Desktop/Prohibit deleting items – Disabled
User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Desktop/Active Desktop/Prohibit editing items – Disabled
User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Desktop/Active Desktop/Prohibit closing items – Disabled
User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Desktop/Active Desktop/ Active Desktop Wallpaper – Enabled
(This setting also allows you to specify the full path to the background you want e.g. c:\install\q-1024x768_24bit.bmp – the standard WHS background)

User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Display/Prevent changing wallpaper – Disabled

After logging off and back on the wallpaper I set appeared!
However in display properties the option to change the background is still greyed out, so if anyone finds a fix to that I would like to know.

Also make sure you enable wallpaper on the RDP/RDC client in the experience tab. (Although I think the Policy changes now override that setting)

If anyone wants the GPO with these settings in please let me know and I’ll send them to you – or maybe an admin can have them available here.

Also if you are not familiar with GPO setting then be very careful as you could cause issues including locking yourself out of the server – however for me there have been no issues as you can see the setting I changed allow more access as opposed to locking the system down the main use of GPOs generally.

Enjoy.

:sanjuan:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank opensvr for this post
giltesa, JohnBick, spamclark15, yakuza

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:05 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

You can put the settings?
I would try to change the background n_n"

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:45 am 

Can someone please post the blank GPO?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:40 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

After repeated requests here are the GPO files....

Attachments:
WHS GPO {Set a Wallpaper Minimum}.zip [405.93 KiB]
Downloaded 791 times

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:15 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

opensvr wrote:
After repeated requests here are the GPO files....

Thanks.

I have already put a wallpaper.
But now the icons are shaded. And lets not remove it but no matter.

Greetings.

Last edited by giltesa on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:47 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Well. The reason why the browse button is greyed out in display properties is because of the "Wallpaper" entry in the registry at the following path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Delete it and you can browse for wallpapers. I have yet to determine if the GPO hack you have used is needless since I used it myself the first time around.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:17 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Now to those who wish to remove the solid background on the desktop icons do the following:

Press the windows start button. Type "regedit" and the registry editor opens. Go to the path - HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Policies -> Explorer. This folder contains ForceActiveDesktopOn. If it is set to 1 then modify it and set it to 0.

Press the start button and right click on My Computer. Choose properties. Click the advanced tab and choose settings under Performance. Make sure that "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is checked.

If the icons and labels still aren't transparent try the following. Right click on the desktop and choose properties. In the desktop tab click customize desktop. Make sure that nothing is selected in the "Web" tab.

Right click on the desktop. Choose "Arrange Icons By and make sure that "Lock Web Items on Desktop" is deselected.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:10 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

And here is an image of the desktop on my WHS :P

Thanks