It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Outside, looking in
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:58 pm 

My original EX475 was showing it's age. Finally the network interface on the motherboard quit. I found a good deal on a used, working server cabinet. I swapped in my 2gig ram, and all 4 of my original drives in the correct order. The server boots up just fine. The strange thing is that I can remote access the server and change password through the Console, monitor or make any changes I want through the remote access, But... when trying to load the connector software on any of my networked PCs the password that I know is correct (because I just changed it) is not accepted. If I try doing a Server recovery, it progresses to searching for Home Server and stops (repeatedly). Help!!! I am frustrated.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Outside, looking in
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:15 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I think the connector has a unique hard coded key.
Since somehow you changed the password. Which you can't do on whsv1.
Unless you ran a server recovery or reset.
Have you tried uninstalling the connector on a client and then re-installing it?

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:33 pm 
Founder
Founder

Also try installing from the server instead of from the client CD if that's what you've been doing: http://<servername>:55000

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:21 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

You lucked out that the ex47x drivers that were loaded into your existing hard drives will run the mobo in the server cabinet you picked up. Otherwise you'd not have console or remote access. You changed the server password from the console in settings/passwords, yes?

I'm guessing your probably not able to do the recovery because the HP OS disks are pinging for a server that's in recovery mode before beginning the recovery process. Maybe someone with more knowledge than I would have a work around to get the OS to begin loading into recovery on non-HP hardware.

Here is a couple of other ideas should nothing else work for you. Hopefully one is palatable enough to get you running trouble free again:

1) Try updating the mobo LAN driver. If I'm wrong about the above maybe there is some kind of driver conflict preventing correct communication between the terminal and server when your waiting for the server to be found (yes I'm definitely guessing on this one).

2) Using a different HDD, use the console to do shared drive backup. Then get a hold of Yakuza's WHS BDBB and backup your client backups (note that the BDBB backups will not be readable data unless restored back with the same program). Then with a clean drive, get a copy of unbranded Microsoft WHSv1 with PP1 (believe it or not, their still out there on the interweb) and see if you can restore the data to that after completing a fresh install (again using different drives in case this doesn't work). Once the OS is in you should be able to load in any missing drivers by USB & you can fully update the OS with WHSOL (details on another MSS thread).

3) Since you have access to the console, pull the data off of your terminal backups that you want to keep as well as what you want that's on your network drives. If console access to the backups fails for some reason, you could at least get your networked data off the individual drives using a HDD dock wired to a terminal. Once you've got your data safe and sound, get a copy of Vail and start running that. There are lots of guides how to transfer from v1 to Vail here on MSS as well. This might be your best option because Vail load like a standard OS does (meaning it wont need to sense a WHS in recovery mode to load) & will also still update using Window's Update.

4) Repurpose the server cabinet, grab a working used ex47x off of ebay, and run with it.

Hope this helps, good luck sorting it out.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:31 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

OP, not sure if your still here.

For others having a similar issue with a dead LAN port, I also found the following post that offers a fifth solution.

5) Setup an USB to LAN adapter to provide connectivity to a failed LAN port with a headless server:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/06 ... ur-server/

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks