It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:01 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I am hearing lately that HP has stopped pushing out patches.
If that is the case, do we have them stored somewhere? Or are we just out of luck?

I'm going to reload one of my spare servers soon to check this, but thought I would ask.

Thx for any all help info links.....

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Last edited by Gardian on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:43 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have found two updates. Are these all the patches?
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-MediaSmart-Servers/3969714/model/3969716

Edit:
I just confirmed that this link will get you to 2 of the patches for mediasmart/data vault
Patch 3.0 patch 2
Patch 3.0 patch 3
But, I can not find Patch 3.0 patch 1 for download.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just did a factory reset on a spare x-510 and I can confirm on this day 10-8-2016 that HP is still pushing out all (3) patches.
Then I went to windows updates:
158 windows updates
4 windows updates
1 windows updates
Then added Smart addin.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
Think I found patch 1 if you have access to a server that has already been patched you can find it here:
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP MediaSmart Server\data\.updates\.applied called MSDV301433083ServerPatch.exe
(about 150mb) I assume you could run this, reboot, then ran hp update which let you install patch two and then three, which would put your server at software version 3.3.1.35433.
I have not done this, but found it using google on another forum.
So FYI! I noticed in this area a "Pending" folder, I wonder if you could put all 3 patches in there and then run the HP updater in the console and it would find them and allow you to install them? May have to try it with a fresh recovery unplugged from the internet and see if it flys....

So anyone that is worried about HP stopping the patches, you can grab a copy of all 3 and be ready for down the road, Maybe, Yah! \:D/

Last edited by Gardian on Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:31 am, edited 12 times in total.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
beachdog
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:33 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I just downloaded the patches just in case. Too bad they're not cumulative so it looks like we are still dependent on HP to keep pushing out the updates to get patch set 1. Fingers are crossed. As someone who has other discontinued HP products, this can come without warning since it seems that the discontinued products are in "support no-man's land". As long as no one bothers to take down the support server and the server doesn't die or get decommissioned, the "support" continues.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:38 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

If the above works I will feel alot better about the future of WHS v1 which I will run till it won't work no more. And I just don't see that happening.
Microsoft may stop pushing the 2003 server updates, but I can download them using the offline downloader, so I see WHS v1 working for a long time.
:mss: :whs: :sanjuan:

GoodLuck to all and Thank you again Alex for an awesome website!!!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:40 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Does anyone know if the files still get pushed?
I'm in the process of re-installing, so it is sort of interesting at the moment. The folder .applied, does not exists on my Data Vault X310, so i cant steal them from there... (.pending is empty, so i suppose they have been applied, but cleared of the system at some point... It's been running for years at this point, i might have done something...)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:08 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Two weekends ago I reset my extra X-510 and HP was still pushing out the updates.
Microsoft was not pushing out as many as before, but at least HP still is.

When you get done, you might want to go to the folder I mentioned above and grab a copy of all three for when they do stop.

Good Luck.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
lioninstreet
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:20 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hi Guardian,

Thanks for the detective work on the HP updates.

Are you aware of how we can also save the Microsoft KB updates? Today 6/11/18 they are still available for download when installing the WHS V1 OS (all the way thru PPK3) but I'd sure feel more comfortable if I had them sitting on a local drive somewhere...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:02 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have tried to use WSUS OFFLINE UPDATER and it hung about half way through, so ended up just going out to MS and grabbing what I could.
But this page offers a few one could try: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/offline-windows-update/

I believe mS has made it where you can't store them for later because they don't want us using them to long. I believe they do it on purpose.
But that's just my opinion.

I don't have the time to try all of these to see if any will work. I just reloaded all 4 of my and put two back in the boxes for later, just in case.
I would run WHS v1 without the windows updates, since we have the three WHS v1updates, I could live with that. Some could not. Depends on your usage.
I don't have mine open to the internet, so I don't worry.

Sorry I don't have more, If I do find the time and find something that works, I will post back, assuming this board is still here :-)
Good Luck and enjoy!

Thanks