It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:36 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hi Everyone,

Having all sorts of problems connecting to WHS 2011 since installing Win 10 on ten clients followed by WHS reinstall due to long running non running of client backup cleanup. Since reinstallation of WHS 2011 managed to run connector on one client following which the server will communicate with it but not vice versa. Have now uninstalled the connector on another laptop and get the runtime error:

Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

I HAVE NOT A CLUE WHAT IT MEANS AND CAN LOOK IT UP ON THE SERVER AND DEAL WITH IT IF SOMEONE WOULD KINDLY TELL ME WHERE AND WHAT TO DO PLEASE.

UPATE. HAVING CONNECTED TO THE DASHBOARD ON ANOTHER LAPTOP - SEE POST THREE BELOW, I NOW FIND THE FIRST LAPTOP WHICH WOULD CONNECT APPEARS IN THE COMPUTERS AND BACKUP TAB IN DASHBOARD CONNECTED TO THE SECOND LAPTOP. BACKUP STATUS UNKNOWN AND ICON GREYED OUT AT PRESENT ALTHOUGH LOGGED ON!

I have gone from a situation where all clients but one on Win 10 were communicating fine before WHS 2011 reinstall to one backing up but not being able to access the server using Launchpad or Dashboard.

Your help and suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

Last edited by mikefarnham on Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:28 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Have had another try at running the repair the remote web access wizard and am getting a: Remote web access to your server is blocked message. Have been using this Netgear DG834GT router for years and never had this problem. Have changed no settings.

I do have a newer, as yet unused, router from SKY I may have to try and swap in but would like to sort this, as is, if possible.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:08 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

On running another laptop today, the old connector installation (pre reinstalling WHS 2011) the dashboard connector works. I did get several messages about having no remote web access available although do not recall pressing that on Launchpad six times either deliberately or accidentally.

Mike.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:46 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

WOW! No solution here, but do feel your pain. Dang!
I was fearful with Win10 local account vs MS login account and WHS v1, but to hear it acting up on 2011 is even worse.
Changing a router can be bad all by itself. That is what caused me to have to do my first server recovery was a router change. It ended up failing so Comp1962 pointed me to pulling the drives and grabbing the raw files. Which I was able to do, did a factory reset and copyback. Now I have two non-pool drive backups plus synctoy to another backup server. Just to make sure. All this on WHS V1 (9) win 7 pc's and (1) Vista pc.

I have win10 on a test laptop, installed as a local login (just like win7) no microsoft email login. But still don't trust it to connect it to the server for backups.
Again, sorry, no help, I am saying no to win10, win7 works just fine and will be around till at least 2020.

I have a win2012E DIY server, but I hear their is a Windows patch bug on win7 pc's that will not allow you to access the backups unless you uninstall the update, which I clean out, so now I fear I won't be able to use my new 2012E box except for shares.
MS is really losing touch with their customers. I'm thinking about MAC / Chromebook OMG! I said it.

Goodluck with your thing, all I can do is wish ya luck..... I have always had remote access off anyway.....

My solution has always been a factory reset and copy back and re-install the connectors and start over.
I hope it doesn't come to that for you.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:08 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Good to hear from you.

Would not be surprised if there were not more than one issue here. I agree, changing routers can make problems! Have a spare on e the same and may swap it in and see if it works; just wondering if the old router is causing problems.

The problem is, I can see folk have trouble configuring my new, unused router too. At least I know the Netgear DG834GT has been configured by WHS 2011 itself in the past.

Yes, I can see another fresh WHS 2011 install on the horizon too!!

None of this stuff works for two minutes before something goes wrong and I am fast developing contempt for those companies selling us products which, effectively, are not of merchantable quality. My considered opinion now is, if two or more products are, or need to be bundled together in order to work and don't they both providers are culpable. I do not expect things to work magically but the amount of user input is ridiculous. After all, this is a home server!

The current state of play here is that, trying to set up remote access I am getting a: The router is not working message. It is working but maybe part of it is not behaving. UPNP is on and the two expected ports are configured. If I try and access remotely I am now getting a server error page which is better than yesterday when no page could be found at all.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Thanks