It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:20 pm 

With the larger drives now available the need for a large compliment of drives is greatly reduced. I have been shrinking the number of drives slowly in my server as I add 4TB Drives I will remove a couple 2TB Drives and repurpose them. When they come out with larger then 4TB Drives that are reasonably priced I will go with those.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:17 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I tried both Drivebender and Stablebit (per Comp1962 suggestion) I went with stablebit, drivebender worked, but that's about all I could say for it, kind of plain. I tried storage spaces for a bit, it worked, again, kind of plain. The stablebit scanner created all kinds of problems with my external drive bays. Uninstalled that quick :-)
I would use that 500 gig drive just for the server os backups and pool the big drives with 2 or 3 copies. That is how my win2012E box is setup.
I have 2 ssd mirrored for the os, I have a 1tb red just for server os backups and all the other drives are pooled with 3 copies of my files.

Don't have R2 can't speak to that.
Goodluck.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:26 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So I'm looking at spending some time with My MSS Quad core to install WS2012E over the holidays. I have my 180GB SSD that I am using for the main drive. I have installed WS2012E to see what the install process looked like and what I should prepare to address. I'm to the point its time to pull the trigger on a real install. I've been waiting to see if one of my co workers could get me the 2012 R2 but that isn't going to happen I'm sure. I don't know if its even worth the wait anyhow. So Ive been looking into Stablebit drive pool and I noticed this plug in:

Archive Optimizer
Author: Covecube Inc.
•With this plug-in you designate one or more disks as special Feeder disks.
•Feeder disks will receive all new files created on the pool.
•It will be the balancer's job to move all the files from the Feeder disks to the Archive disks in the background.
•You can use this plug-in to designate one or more fast disks as special feeder disks in order to improve write performance.

anyone have experience with it? I'm thinking that this might speed up uploads to the server and let the server do the heavy lifting for me later. I'm thinking I should make a 50GB or less landing spot. Im not sure what the minimum amount of space needed for WS2012E should be. Also, do I need to partion the system drive to set up a landing spot or can I use the system drive for the landing spot. I think no matter what the system drive space is, its got to be better the 20GB that WHSv1 gave me. But once I add add-ins, plex, and iTunes.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:49 pm 

Personally I have never used that software but I would run the server first without it to see how you like the performance particularly with file transfers and what not. I think you will be very pleased with that part then after your familiar with then then if you like give that software a try to see if you like it or not.

I would be interested in knowing how things work before and after but I would be reluctant to create a landing zone for files, to me if your files are moved to the landing zone then they would have to be moved to the storage pool and then duplicated and to me that means the server would have to work harder to move your data around. Then if your landing zone is too small and you send more data then it can handle what happens then does the transfer get delayed while files are moved around the server. Maybe I am missing something here but there are times when I will move a ton of data over to the server and I have not noticed any degraded performance with the pool.

I should look at the software more closely as I could be missing something but to me its just another task for your server to run and I am not clear on how that can benefit the server. Its similar to the way WHSv1 operated when it first came out and MS did away with that feature if you recall.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks