It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:30 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hey guys so I got my replacement server built and booted. I have installed Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials but I need some help.

I am using this to replace my HP MSS and I want to use it the following ways:

I have two computers, a desktop and a surface pro 2 along with a Boxee Box

My main goal is using this as a NAS to be honest, housing my movies and recorded TV along with my software installation files.

Like my MSS, id love to just open explorer and see my server under network and be able to view the shared folders on both my desktop and surface pro 2, hopefully like i could on the MSS via my boxee i could see the device and log in that way I could see my movies and recorded shows

I dont really care about the automated backup to be honest, i usually do manual backups and my desktop is just a gaming machine so nothing critical is on there and on my surface pro 2 i would backup a few things. If i can get automated backup working without having to reinstall on either desktop or surface pro 2 great, otherwise it doesnt matter.

How do i begin setting this up? I have created my storage pool. Do i just add users? As of right now i cannot see my server on my network via explorer, but im thinking its because its on its own domain?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:05 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Don't have R2 but essentials turning on the media sharing should get ya closer, then besides the backups, you need to decide if you want the connector and all the goodies that go with it or just get the shares on the network.
If you had users before, you will most likely want to make those users again.

I ignored the domain stuff, my was setup workgroup.domain.

But as I said, turning on the media sharing will get you a long way.

Goodluck.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Gardian for this post
Circaflex
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:31 am 

I do not know much about the Surface 2 Pro but I do know that if you set that server up to run as a Domain that you can easily access the content via a VPN connection when your outside your home. Its a very nice feature to have. If you set the server up as a Domain it will take sometime to get use to in a blended environment between a WORKGROUP and DOMAIN. I run WS2012E and not the WS2012E R2 so I can't comment specifically on the R2 as much as I like. Can't really comment on the Surface 2 Pro either but would like to have one here to play with.

Anyway what you want to do is quite easy and should not pose a big problem with accessing your media content within the home. Your WORKGROUP devices will still be able to access the content on the server but you will have to work at it a bit to get them connected if the server was setup as a DOMAIN. I created a user account for my media extenders to use to connect to the server so I could continue to use them. Others used the Guest Account to accomplish this.

If the server was setup as a WORKGROUP then its a piece of cake but you would lose the VPN an option I personally enjoy using very much but I also backup my notebook offsite while I am at work plus I enjoy using the servers ample storage capacity to store and access data thus keeping my notebook clean. This is all well and good until you lose internet connectivity then it really sucks. The VPN has also come in handy for my family because I live 1100 miles away from them so it allows me to help and support their needs as well.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
Circaflex
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:18 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

how did you setup the server as a workgroup instead? i found this link http://www.tinkertry.com/ws2012e-domain-removal/ but there is a post stating they could not connect a win 8 unit to it.

How can i get the server to show up under Network? Right now all i see is my server under media devices. Do i need to connect via the essentials website first? i found a reg hack that lets my computer connect without domain

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:25 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

After some trial and error i have it setup pretty much how i need, even with backups and what not even with backups. Man this thing is sweet, now im moving data from my external back onto the server at blazing speed

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:32 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

can anyone help me with this error? http://sdrv.ms/1dFbBye

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:38 am 

Circaflex wrote:
How can i get the server to show up under Network? Right now all i see is my server under media devices. Do i need to connect via the essentials website first? i found a reg hack that lets my computer connect without domain

Check the network settings and make sure network discovery is turned on. You know I have it turned on and for the most part the server shows up on some days and not others but the Launchpad will always get you to your shares or you can always Map out the Shares. I can access my server which is setup as a domain from my workgroup devices without much effort but on one of my older servers I actually for some odd reason had to setup a VPN connect to get it to see the files so that it could stream them which is a long story but to sum it up I want to discontinue streaming from my WS2012E Server and use my other server to do the heavy lift to take load off my primary server or at least that's the thought process which is always a work in progress.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
Circaflex
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:46 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks for the info. I have run into this strange problem, or strange to me because I dont understand why its happening.

I have 3 x 2TB drives and 1 500GB drive in my server for storage, OS runs off an SSD

I am getting a low capacity warning when I am trying to migrate my old data from my WHSv1, the data is roughly 2TB. How can i fix this without adding more drives to the server? If i have to kill the pool and start over not a problem, as my server is backed up to an external drive.

Should i switch to a different program? Drivepool by stablebit or drivebender?

Here is a photo

http://sdrv.ms/1dFbBye

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:23 pm 

I chose not to use Storage Spaces so its difficult for me to properly answer your question. However your picture has singled out Drive F and so I would look to see how that drive is being used in the server and quite possibly is it set for a specific storage that may differ from your primary storage pool. I wish I could answer your question I really do but I opted to go with Stablebit Drive Pool and never bothered with looking at how Storage Spaces worked but my feeling was that Stablebit Drive Pool offered more flexibility then Storage Spaces. Heck I was running it on my server when it was running WHS2011 and I was able to migrate the pool to WS2012E very easily in fact you could move the pool to any device running Stablebit Drive Pool and use it. This is something you can not or I believe you can not do with Storage Spaces.

Anyway look closely at Drive F to see how its configured for use in the server.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
Circaflex
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:26 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

ill check it out when i get home, i was honestly looking at stablebit or drivebender. Found a few forums where most prefer stablebit but there were a few for drivebender, i think ill download their trial and see if its easier to manage

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:01 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

My only guess is that you have configured one (two way Mirror) storage space with your 4 disks. That is not how it should work, it is not like in whs v1. Two way Mirror needs two disks of equal size, same if you put 4 disk in the same pool you need them to be same size. But you have 3 3T disks and one 500M. The 500 is your limitation.
I would suggest you redo your storage space to this setup: 2 X 2T disks in one (two way Mirror) storage space; then one 2T disk plus one 500M disks in one (single) storage space, this means with no redundance.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank VieuxJules for this post
Circaflex
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:03 pm 

You can follow VieuxJules's advise and then determine if Storage Spaces meets your needs. I know it offers you a wide variety of options but if you find it overwhelming then you may want to look at other solutions like Drive Bender or Stablebit Drive Pool.

I can only comment on Stablebit Drive Pool and tell you it works very similar to DE in WHSv1 but its not a sensitive to drive issues as DE was and its a very forgiving pooling software and its easy for anyone to setup and get running.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
Circaflex
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:45 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

So I installed drivepool this morning along with drive scanner, I absolutely LOVE it so far. It seems to fill my needs in an easier path than storage spaces. Thank you guys for putting up with my novice questions and guiding me.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:56 pm 

Happy to hear your having a good experience with Stablebit Drive Pool and Scanner........

If you run external enclosures and start experiencing drive drop outs in the external enclosure you may want to uninstall the scanner to resolve the drop out. While not all external enclosures will experience issues there are some that seem sensitive to the scanner. The Drive Pool Software how ever is a win win and I think you will come to appreciate it very much.

You may also like Storage Spaces and you can run a Storage Space Pool and multiple Stablebit pools if you like. You may find Storage Spaces to be useful and possibly faster then Stablebit Drive Pool and you may still want to play with it. For me personally I find Stablebit Drive Pool meets and exceeds my needs and have no complaints thus I have not immediate need to try other solutions but you may have very different needs then I do.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
Circaflex
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:07 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thank you for the kind words, I don't plan to use any external enclosures, well at least not now, the case I purchased is a Full-tower with I believe space for 10 drives which is nice, but I will keep these notes for future reference.

I think so far I will stick with drivepool, performance seems good so far I just need to look into duplication later in the day. Thank you all once again.

Thanks