It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:02 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

WHS 495 box? I don't know the internal components and whether the hackintosh community has tried it. I will search there as well. Thought I'd try here as well.

I have heard of HP laptops being converted to hackintosh, so it isn't totally a foreign concept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:05 pm 

You know that's an excellent question and one which I have never given a thought too. You should google Hackintosh and you will find information on how to build your own MAC which if memory serves me correctly you will need to format a hardrive in a MAC to a suitable format to install the OS on. From my brief reading on this you are limited to the versions of OS X you can do this will but I am certain you will find all the information you require to see if its possible.

I would urge you to get a DEBUG Board and a USB DVD Drive to make the installation easier to perform and if your successful in doing so I certainly would love to hear about your experience. You may also want a more robust processor to increase the performance over the stock processor but you can determine that if your successful.

You may have to deal with driver issues and not sure if you will be able to get the LED's functional or somewhat functional as I am not sure if there is an Intel RST Driver for the MAC but if you have the time and the ambition to make it happen you might just be able to accomplish this and bring new life into your EX495 and maybe others would follow. BYW the X510 is similar so those with those servers may also be interested in repurposing their servers to run MAC OS.

How cool would that be? :encore:

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:18 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962, did some research at Tonymacx86. It has been done and while not a lead pipe cinch, is very do-able. I just ordered an E8400 processor and a 4 GB RAM stick to boost the hardware. With this I should be able to finagle a Mavricks install ultimately, though I may do with Snow Leopard or whatever 10.7 was called and add the server as well. Not sure I'll wait until the new hardware arrives as I believe once the new processor goes in, I can update to Mavricks directly.
I would prefer to get something working first then boost. I have a house full of Macs and Apple hardware, so an Apple server would be huge. Could run iTunes for everyone off it. I have ripped a bunch of blu-rays and they play well on Apple TV v3, but may need that extra horsepower to transcode for playing on PS3.

Will likely be a few weeks, but I'll try to remember to post back when done.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:55 pm 

Just make sure you verify that E8400 is a low power version E8400S before installing it in your EX495 otherwise you may run into issues with the server you may not appreciate. Good luck with your project and I certainly hope it all works out for you.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:01 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hows this coming? Im interested in maverick server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:37 pm 

Not on my end yet. I have been busy with new builds. I have some DTX Boards which turned out to be a bit too long for the Lian Li enclosure so I am seeking out an SFF enclosure for those. I do have plans to tackle a Hackintosh build but they are not my top priority at the moment.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:41 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Hows this coming? Im interested in maverick server.

I know this is a late reply, but what would you like to know? I have OS X 10.9.3 with Server.app running on an EX485 that I upgraded to 4GB RAM and an E8400 CPU. I've had it up for about a week or so now and haven't had any issues, yet. I've got a Time Machine backup server running on it and even a MythTV backend. I upgraded the CPU and RAM a couple years ago with WHS v1 on it, using the hacked BIOS linked in one of the discussions on a thread in MSS.net.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:49 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Very interesting..

what is server.app?

How hard was the install? I have to ex495's here and might be interested in running one as a maverick server. Im sure there are a ton of there people that would find this interesting.

I would love to see some install tips and screen shots and hear about the headaches you experienced.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:32 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I got it to work. Took a lot of thinking about it, but I have it running. I will be upgrading the cpu and RAM once I found where I put them. First, there are a couple of tutorials on tonymacx86.com. Invaluable site.

Firstly, get a good sized USB drive. My Kingston is 16 GB. You also need a working Mac that can use Mavricks for the install.

Set up an installer USB drive for Mavricks using the installer and Mavricks capable computer.

Install the ink east and Multibeast drivers

Get a hard drive from the HP MSS, use an external Sata dock to install Mavricks on the drive. Add the university and Multibeast add ins. Boot and check install is OK

In Multibeast, engage easy east, and not much else. In Mac preferences, activate remote access, remote screen sharing etc and try logging in from a second Mac on the network. If it works, you should be golden.

Restart.

Then restart with Mac native drive to free up external drive. Put external drive into MSS, boot up. Try and log in using Remote Access. Mine was good on second try, I had to disable some things I stupidly activated in Multibeast. kSS is the rule.

It is actually reasonably snappy with the 495 EX hardware, I need to get my media on there and install the server application to really get full use.

Good luck!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:21 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Gonna try this http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-des ... ex490.html

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:28 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Yep, that's the recipe.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:42 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Got Yosemite installed. Now to install Yosemite server. Any clue on being able to install more RAM the WHSv1 would allow? What about a RAID setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:15 pm 

Anyone try El Cap? Just wondering if the new "root-less" mode causes any issues.

Thanks!

Thanks