It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:51 pm 

Years ago, I had two Win7 PC's backed-up on the Server (they are dead and gone); but there backups are still on the WHS along with a front panel red light.

I now own a Mac OS X 10.8.4; it also has Parallels v8 (w/ Win 7) so I can use a Microsoft interface/tools

I can access the Server/Files through my router. However, When I attempt to RDP into the system it gives me a "Logon Message" that says I must be granted the Allow log on through Terminal Services right. By default, members of the Remote Desktop Users group have this right....

Anyway, I already have all the components to upgrade to WHS 2011.

from what Alex said on the "Smoke and Mirrors" articles, I need to get rid of the red light first, before I proceed.

Please Help
Ron

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:05 am 

Hi Spiderzmobile welcome to the forums,

It looks like your trying to make a Remote Desktop Connection to the EX485 running the original software. If I am correct then you must logon a Administrator and use the Servers Password to logon.

The RED LED I am assuming is the Health Light to find out why its RED you can always press in the Status/Recovery button with a paper clip. Just press and release it then count the blink codes and look them up for the meaning. So long as its not a hardware failure you should be ok to upgrade your EX485 to WHS2011 should you chose to do so. There is no simple upgrade path to going with WHS2011 so your data will need to be copied back to the server its not as simple as performing a Server Recovery with the original WHSv1.

I am not certain how well it will work with your MAC's but Windows Server 2012 Essentials does have some integration for MAC's but the cost of the software maybe prohibitive for you and running on an EX485 may not offer you the best performance but that just comes down to your expectations anyway.

Changing the OS on the EX485 or any MSS will cause the LED's not to function properly and this has been written about many times and for some the loss of LED's is a rather annoying experience.

Best way to install any OS is to use a Debug Board so you can see whats going on. While blind installs work they can be at times difficult if you do not follow the proceedure properly and not seeing whats going on can make for a bad experience.

Whatever you chose to do, good luck and I hope everything works out well for you!

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:32 am 
Founder
Founder

The paperclip trick to get at the blinky codes is only relevant when the server is failing to boot, it does not do anything when the server is booted into Windows which it sounds like the OP is saying since he can get to the RDP logon screen.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:37 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Get a debug board, its well worth the money, and I also upgraded my ex485 to WHS2011.

WHS 2011 64bit

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:10 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

While the debug board is convenient, it's really not necessary. You should be able to temporarily unhook all the hard drives in your desktop PC, temporarily plug in your WHS system drive, boot it, log in, fix the RDS permission issue, then shut it down and stick it back into your MediaSmart.

Thanks