It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:00 pm 

I sent you a PM so please take the time to review what I wrote to you.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:55 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

jrolmstd wrote:
Final posting on this topic. If you decide to leave the cable attached and to tuck it away beside the fan in back, be damn careful of the capacitors on the MB.

They seem to pop off rather easily....

:oops:

PM me if you want to buy a slightly used VGA/PS2/Serial Debug Board...

Wanted to make sure there was no misunderstanding on this post. The cable works without issue and is a great solution for a headless system The problem was completely PEBKAC based - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:41 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Turns out I was premature with declaring this project dead. Keeping the cable and purchasing a daughter board from a member here. Back in the hunt again \:D/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:47 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Just received mine yesterday and had a chance to install it today. It was a REALLY tight squeeze running the cable up along the back of the chassis and getting the backplane re-installed (and man those connectors on both ends are really freaking tight. I also freaked out when I first hooked the VGA cable up and re-booted the machine for the first time as I saw "Windows modules need to be configured" which caused my boot-up to take about 15 minutes (it actually showed this on two boot cycles)... but now things appear to be working properly.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:23 pm 

I just placed an order for 2 KVM.

Thank you so much for thinking of this little addition.

Pete...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:01 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I wanted to find out if the Gen 3 was/is still available. I noticed on the topic page that it is. So do I just follow the instructions in obtaining the device? I have a couple of hp ex-470 that I've decided to update to the soon to be extinct 2011.
I apologize if this is a "duh" type question but just trying to gather what I need to proceed. I already have a few AMD LE-1640 on hand with several 2gb ram. If push come to shove then I'll go ahead and at least make a connector myself but would rather forgo having to buy extra crimping and other tools that I have or might not have. Once again any helpful answer to the question would be great. And if the ship has already sailed then I'll either install it headless or go ahead and build my own. But it seems the older I gotten the less adventures I've become hence the delay in not doing this several years back.
If anything I might have a few vintage HP EX-470, with 2GB Ram for each and a couple LE-1640 for sale.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:55 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Hi Rickie,

As the first post says, the service is available.

Quote:
So do I just follow the instructions in obtaining the device?

Yes. Be sure to read the Frequently Asked Question to understand the order process. When the service does stop, this forum will be updated to reflect this change.

- Charles

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:24 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Rickie wrote:
I wanted to find out if the Gen 3 was/is still available. I noticed on the topic page that it is. So do I just follow the instructions in obtaining the device? I have a couple of hp ex-470 that I've decided to update to the soon to be extinct 2011.
I apologize if this is a "duh" type question but just trying to gather what I need to proceed. I already have a few AMD LE-1640 on hand with several 2gb ram. If push come to shove then I'll go ahead and at least make a connector myself but would rather forgo having to buy extra crimping and other tools that I have or might not have. Once again any helpful answer to the question would be great. And if the ship has already sailed then I'll either install it headless or go ahead and build my own. But it seems the older I gotten the less adventures I've become hence the delay in not doing this several years back.
If anything I might have a few vintage HP EX-470, with 2GB Ram for each and a couple LE-1640 for sale.

I do apologize as I decrypted the email to send to. I missed it completely of the indirect posting of the email.

Last edited by Rickie on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:43 pm 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-PS2-Board-A ... 3a729ea0b8
I recently got an lx-195 and was thinking of swapping the os.
has anyone seen these? would this be an easy conversion to use?
for 6 bucks could be an easy way to make these things awesome.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:01 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

@database00: It's an interesting compact design. I have a few versions similar to this sitting at my desk. At least one small problem I have with it is that it has no enclosure. I would add more protection on the top and bottom of the PCB to prevent accidental short-circuits. Have you considered making one or modifying one? If you do, please consider sharing your experience.

Most people already know this but I'll say it just in case someone out there doesn't know: the board pictured above is in NO WAY compatible with the MediaSmart Server debug adapter.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:59 am 

I decided not to order it. I found an old vga extension cable cut it in half, and figured out what pins go to what color on the male side. So on the female vga plug I can either find an adapter which I cant find one yet, or just solder the raw wires into the connection using the diagrams
Attachment:
File comment: kvm header
kvmheaderpinouts_211.jpg
kvmheaderpinouts_211.jpg [ 28.66 KiB | Viewed 24354 times ]

Attachment:
db15.jpg
db15.jpg [ 58.17 KiB | Viewed 24354 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:15 pm 

Good luck with the cable build. I have a custom made cable I picked up off eBay and it works well but I found out I was not able to get into the BIOS on an EX490 even with the jumper installed. I believe your LX195 will require you to install a jumper to get into its BIOS and if your not able to and find the need to do so then I do urge you to get a VOV Technologies DEBUG Board with the PS2 ports.

Other then that I moved that same custom cable to an EX470 Test server and the screen colors are not quite right but this test server also has know motherboard issues which is why its function is for testing only. I will have to move that cable to another EX470 I have which is a fully functional server to see if I get the same results.

Personally you can not go wrong with the VOV Technologies board its works perfectly. I may order a 4th unit very soon for a project I have in mind. I often thought about playing move the board but I do not like messing with that cable connection end.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:17 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I now have my Gen3 debug board and an extra cable so don't need to keep swapping it between units. The board is really well made and excellent quality. I would not hesitate to recommend these boards to anyone.

Charles at VOV Technology provides a great service and I urge anyone like myself who pondered over its purchase to go ahead. You will not be disappointed with the product when it arrives! No way could I have made something this good.

The package somehow missed the attention of the Customs Duty (labelled as 'computer cable') so that was a big relief as several previous posts on this thread mention extra charges for importing to the UK. \:D/

Right, now where's that new Q8200S CPU that arrived in the week!

The cloud is for people with their heads in them!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:19 am 

database00 wrote:
I decided not to order it. I found an old vga extension cable cut it in half, and figured out what pins go to what color on the male side. So on the female vga plug I can either find an adapter which I cant find one yet, or just solder the raw wires into the connection using the diagrams
Attachment:
The attachment kvmheaderpinouts_211.jpg is no longer available

Attachment:
The attachment kvmheaderpinouts_211.jpg is no longer available

Howdy!

If your in need of the 26-pin plug and the wire crimps to make you own cable just let me know, I have a few hundred coming and I will put a set up on eBay for you. I will be building 50-60 cables of the next few months and taking many pics and having step by step on how and where to get everything you need. Has anyone ever seen or used the Acer Debug board?

Attachments:
File comment: Acer-Debug1
acer-debug.jpg
acer-debug.jpg [ 60.27 KiB | Viewed 24141 times ]
File comment: Acer-Debug2
acer-debug2.jpg
acer-debug2.jpg [ 60.24 KiB | Viewed 24141 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:37 am 

That looks like the same board HP used. Take a look: viewtopic.php?p=7555#p7555

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next