It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:36 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I wanted to ask on how well are the client backups are for 2012 and whether they are reliable? Especially for bare metal restore operations.

I have initially tested 2012E on a spare server I am using for testing right now, but the only thing that's holding me back from using WSE full time is the fact that it doesn't support older clients like XP. I know some would suggest simply upgrading to 7 but I have legacy software for my video work that will only work on XP. I had considered possibly just using WSS 2008 R2 for that purpose since it does support older clients, but would've been nice to use only one server product.

I currently have another server running WS2008 R2 with WSS running in the VM via Hyper-V and so far that combo works well. Lots of stuff to work with here, but still undecided on a solid server setup solution.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:54 pm 

Actually I have the same issue you have with the need to continue to support the older clients because of the software which runs on them. My solution to the problem is to continue running the servers which those clients are backed up on and use WS2012E to support the clients running Win7 and 8.

I have restored 1 client using WS2012E already and it worked as well as WHSv1 and WHS2011. What I like most about WS2012E is the simple automatic VPN Setup it does if you configure it to run as a DOMAIN and how it allows me to backup my clients when I am not at home. However the RWA and VPN setup for some routers is a real PITA working well with some and not others and it can drive you crazy trying to figure out where the problem is.

The real sad part about WS2011E is that the client software only works with Win7 and Win8. While XP is falling by the wayside its still used by many, heck even my Bank still uses XP on their terminals, I still think MS should of provided a client solution for XP and VISTA. In time those OS's will fade but if your looking to run only one server and support all your operating systems then WS2012E may not be for you.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:14 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
Actually I have the same issue you have with the need to continue to support the older clients because of the software which runs on them. My solution to the problem is to continue running the servers which those clients are backed up on and use WS2012E to support the clients running Win7 and 8.

I have restored 1 client using WS2012E already and it worked as well as WHSv1 and WHS2011. What I like most about WS2012E is the simple automatic VPN Setup it does if you configure it to run as a DOMAIN and how it allows me to backup my clients when I am not at home. However the RWA and VPN setup for some routers is a real PITA working well with some and not others and it can drive you crazy trying to figure out where the problem is.

The real sad part about WS2011E is that the client software only works with Win7 and Win8. While XP is falling by the wayside its still used by many, heck even my Bank still uses XP on their terminals, I still think MS should of provided a client solution for XP and VISTA. In time those OS's will fade but if your looking to run only one server and support all your operating systems then WS2012E may not be for you.

Actually, I do like 2012E as it works very well and has seamless integration with Win 7. I only have one XP box so what I may end up doing is just using independent backup software like Paragon and just have it backed up to a network share on 2012E. The VPN option is pretty sweet as I have briefly tested. With WS2008 R2 I can also set up a VPN, but has to be setup manually (and alot more work) compared to 2012E which does it automatically. I am also wondering about 2012E R2 and whether it would be a viable upgrade.

As for a domain, I do have my own domain name and SSL so I can possibly use it with 2012E.
The testing continues.....

Thanks