It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Re: HP Gen8 Micro Server
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:30 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

It's looking like your spot on, this thing just gets pricier every time I find something more cool for it.
That Big Lian Li case build is looking cheaper all the time and I could roll it around if I needed to.
I mean the Gen8 is cool lookin, but Dang!

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:33 pm 

Ya its a way cool looking unit and quite nice for most consumers who desire an already built unit as is the MSS. Its a very viable unit only if you can work within the hardware constraints. Once you start needing to add other things to it and then start thinking you need a spare unit to support the current one then you really need an alternate solution.

For those who can spec and build a unit they would be better off to do so or purchase a unit that meets their needs. In the long run I think building although sometimes can cost you more up front will actually save you more over the life of the unit. Then comes the availability of off the shelf components and longer warranty periods.

The HP Gen8 does not come with a preloaded OS where you can take it out of the box and start using it. For some this is a blessing and for others it could be a deal breaker. For those who have no desire or ability to build a unit this is a solution that may work well.

Regardless of what solution a person opts to go with the thing to do is to explore all the options available to them so that when a decision is made they can feel comfortable with their choice.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:26 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I built one with a 45w Xeon E3-1265LV2, maxxed it out with four 4TB WD Reds hung off a P222, two of the 1TB 2.5" Reds (on a custom built plate) off the B120i , 16GB SM an a 9.5mm blackjack ODD to run ESXi 5.5. Pretty terrific unit. only problem I have had with it is a driver issue with the HP custom VMware image in that the 16TB LUN once raided up on the SAC presents itself to ESXi as a 10TB MBR partition and won't let me make the nice fat VMFS 5 volume I wanted. Hopefully a driver update will fix it. There is a workaround, but I'm not satisfied with it. Must say, it is a nice unit rigged up this way. Now if only HP had a nice external enclosure I could use the external port on the P222 with.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:24 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have to agree, with the 2.5 x2 plate to mirror up a couple of OS drives and use the 4 front bays for 4 or soon 6 tb drives.
Still a little pricy, but getting closer to a canned hardware option for those that don't want to build one.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks