It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:28 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Yes, I think you can set to max speed if you go into the bios and disable override fan speed in the HP section and then go back to the health section and modify the zone 1 and 2 settings. if you reduce both settings(when it goes to 100% and when it's forced to go 100%). I reduced the drives by 5 C by messing with the settings. But if you don't disable the HP override it just reloads the original settings.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:17 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I checked the cpu temp and it was 44C so I think the fans are ok, just those old maxtors.
I plan on being mean to them anyway before they go to the bin. They are setup with storage spaces so I plan on pulling one, format it and add it back just to see how that goes.
I really don't want to mess in the bios unless I have to. After I get use to storage spaces I may play in the bios.
Thx for the info.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:42 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Ok I finally installed WS2012E on my quad MSS, I installed Lights-out and Drivepool.

I'm a little lost on how it works...
I'm not sure if Im suppose to add my system drive to the pool or not. When I do add the only other drive I have, I then go to move folders from the systems drive to the new drive and it gives me the option of D (drive pool) and E (other drive windows sees). Is this behavior correct?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:28 pm 

I see the option on my server to add the C Drive and the OS Backup Drive but I have not bothered to add those drives and am not certain it would be actually wise to do so. I believe in previous versions of Stablebit Drive Pool you would not be allowed to add those drives so after seeing your post I got curious.

You can actually have multiple storage pools. I have yet to play with a multiple pool environment but the option to do so is still there. I think once you start playing with Stablebit Drive Pool you will find it to be very reliable and easy to use. Once you have it setup its really set it and forget it. I tell you honestly it works so well I rarely think about it and so long as the drives are in good shape there is very little to worry about.

There is a Health Reporting ADD-IN that when configured will send you daily emails and much like Alex's Remote Notification and if you set it up your server will send you email alerts when issues arise. Then with HomeServerSMART2013 installed and watching your drives or other SMART Monitoring Software that can run on WS2012E your good to go.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:11 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Im not sure why its showing 2 avail 4tb locations for folder moves when I only have one 4th drive installed.

Also while setting up anywhere access it says I should make it remote.Server.com what is the point of Remote?

when i type http://server.com it goes to that location anyhow. also the server software want to put https in from and for some reason my address only works with http. How do I fix that?

I gathered pictures incase Im not making sense. It could be this behavior is just normal. WS2012e is a little scary because really its my first exposure to the metro tiles theme. I miss the start menu.

Attachments:
File comment: Showing that D is the only 4tb in my pool
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 5.01 MiB | Viewed 19903 times ]
File comment: E & D are the same 4TB drive
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG [ 2.89 MiB | Viewed 19903 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:58 pm 

Your server will show all the drives including the Storage Pool Drive. If you add another drive to your storage pool you will see your D Drive increase in size and the other drives will still be listed. This is completely different then what your use to in WHSv1 where the actual drives were not displayed unless you looked at Disk Management. So what your seeing is actually only one drive with 2 letters one represents the storage pool and the other is that actual physical drive. So when adding folders to your storage pool drive just make sure it goes to the correct drive which I believe is listed as D. Just confirm the actual storage pool letter before adding folders to the storage pool.

Because I have 20 bays I have actually named all my drives to reflect the actual bay the drive is located which is completely different the say the Physical Drive number you will see in Disk Management. I suggest you might also rename the drive to help you identify its location be it internal and external and which bay the drive is in or any means to help you identify the drive location. Also once you have properly identified the Storage Pool Drive letter then you can always just add the new folders to the storage pool much easier.

Some people do not like seeing the drives so they opt to take away the letters so the drives will not be shown as your looking at them and so you would only see the C & Storage Pool Drives but I personally want to see all my drives so I leave the drive letters.

Hope this makes sense to you now.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:09 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

How do I add location info to the drive letter?

The Idea of not seeing drive letter is also interesting. Not sure if Id do that but interesting none the less.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:28 pm 

Its as simple are renaming a file but you can do the same with a drive. Actually when you format a drive you have the option at that time to create a name for it. So from the desktop just Right Click on the Drive and you will see the option to Rename the drive. This should help you a lot especially when you start adding more drives to the server.

I currently have like 17 drives in my server but at one time I actually had 24. With the drives only getting larger I know my server drive compliment will continue to shrink as I have been adding 4TB Drives. The cool thing is that when I am inclined to purchase new drives for other devices I just purchase one or more 4TB Drives and just pull the number of 2TB Drives I need out of the server.

Your just starting this server off so you get to just go with the larger drives but the question you actually need to look at is can the server properly support your storage needs and can you find an external enclosure that will work properly without dropping drives.

I am actually about to build a couple new servers which I will sell later this year I just need to beat the hell out of one of them to make certain the build is solid but these will support 10 drives in an SFF enclosure using a DTX Motherboard but I can also get these to support 14 drives but would need to change the enclosure to house the additional 4 drives.

On another note I would encourage you to add a backup drive to your server to allow the server to backup the OS twice a day. You can do a manual backup to a drive but if you should ever want to perform a recovery you will need to have a backup to recover from and the cool thing is it will only take about 1 hour and no need to reconfigure the server like in WHSv1. You can use an external connected drive for the OS Backup. Again I urge any one running WHS2011 or WS2012E to setup a dedicated OS Backup Drive. The other thing I will mention is you can easily image a System Drive and change the System Drive out with the imaged drive without having to change anything and this is a much more flexible solution to imaging a potentially failing system drive then what we had to do for WHSv1.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:12 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Just like WHS v1 and DE you can't have a pool with only 1 drive.
Win2012E and drivebender or stablebit is the same.
If you don't want to pool the os drive or backup drive with the 4tb storage (which I wouldn't) then you can't have a pool till you get another 4tb drive (ideally) or at least more then one drive, then you can pool them and setup duplication.

I have a raid (dual ssd mirrored) for the system drive NOT POOLED.
I have a 1 TB red setup just for the OS backup drive NOT POOLED.
Then I have 4 2tb drives for storage that are pooled with stablebit and I set it to have (3) copies of each file over the pool.

I keep my OS and OS backup out of the pool to keep the pool (data) all to itself.

I hope this helps make sense of the pool, really it's not much different then whs 1....
Goodluck

P.S. I have a 5 bay external with 5 drives in it and I just today, made a second pool with stablebit for just those external drives and set them to have 3 dupes of each file just like the main pool.

So I have 2 pools Pool1 is 4 internal drives set for 3 dupes of each file and I have Pool2 with 5 drives set for 3 dupes of each file, you manage them just the same, each one is on it's own page in stablebit, kind of cool.

So I figure I have the main data pool that is safe and I will use the external pool to backup the internal and it is setup safe.
Should be no way to lose data :crazy:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:36 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Thanks for the info. Ill pick up a USB drive to back up the system drive then thank you. Should I have 2x the space on that drive or mirror the system drive.

I like the fact I can re-image and place a new system drive in the system and not worry about my data like in the WHSv1.

Gardian,

What was the thinking about the 2 pool just cause one is internal and one is external?

Comp1962 I would like a rack mount Gen8 multi bay unit for my Structured wiring cabinet I'm building. it would be nice to put everything in one location and can support multiple bay inside main unit. right now its cost and power (electrical) prohibitive. I would want something with multi core also quad or higher.

Any Ideal about the Domain name set up that WS2012e makes you do? Im not sure why I was asked to set it up remote.server.com instead of server.com

I appreciate all your help

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:59 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Ok here is how I labeled the drives: (see Photo)

Attachments:
photo3.JPG
photo3.JPG [ 3.41 MiB | Viewed 19892 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:47 pm 

The Domain Setup opens up a series of options not available if you set it up as a Workgroup. Now I have mine setup as a domain which automatically sets up a VPN for the clients which is wicked cool for accessing your shares away from home and allows you full access to the Dashboard and allows you to backup your clients offsite as well. I believe but am not sure but I believe if you want NIC Teaming you need the Domain Setup too but again I am not sure on this one but the NIC Teaming on WS2012E . I did have it working but along the way something went wrong with it and so I removed the team until I am again motivated to set one up but I want to do it with my INTEL Drivers because it just works better but WS2012E like Win8 keep changing my Intel NIC Drivers with MS versions which has royally annoyed me and so I have to dig deep into the updating but there to MS screwed around with that so its not so simple as it was before but I have not yet dedicated much time into it.

The other thing you can do with WS2012E is set it up to be the DHCP Server and there are benefits to doing this but for me it was just easier to allow the router to handle that function until the day I gain a better understanding on how to allow the server to handle that function but some have written about it in the forums.

I did have some initial issues blending a Domain and Workgroup environment but it was not over complicated to get my Workgroup devices to work with my server and visa versa.

I am not sure if you played with IIS8 but it opens up a world of possibilities for your server making it very simple to add things to the server itself. There is a lot to it and I have not had much time to fully explore all that one can do with it but I have to tell you it may be wise for you to pick up a book or two on WS2012 to help guide you with things you may want to do with your server but keep in mind there are differences between WS2012 and WS2012E and now with the R2 out probably the information for WS2012E will be skipped over.

Just take it very slow with your server because its very easy to break but not overly difficult to correct any mistakes you may make along the way but it can be frustrating. For me just having the VPN working is a big thing because it will allow me to have my family backup their computers and utilize my servers vast storage capacity. Its a way cool feature to utilize.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:39 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The workgroup and domain merge thing is instresting can you expound on that? I want to be able to access WHSv1 and WS2012E at the same time with the same machine. I will also need to start Copying data over to really test my set up.

I got the book that was offered on WEGOTSERVED, but that has a few gaps for me. Ill need to get some more resources.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:06 pm 

On my Win8 clients I had to turn on network discovery so that they could see all the network devices. On my WHSv1, WHS2011 and WS2012E servers I have setup the same accounts as my client using the same User Name and Password so that when I logon to the client the network shares on all my servers would be available to me. If you use different User Names and Passwords then when you go to access the content you will need to provide your credentials.

On my media devices I actually setup accounts for them to utilize with access to the content I want them to be able to stream. Some just setup the Guest Accounts and use them but that's a personal choice. I did not have issues connecting my domain clients to my Workgroup configured printers or print servers so that was a win win.

I did have some issues getting my WHSv1 servers to access content on my WS2012E so I had to setup the network credentials to allow certain applications I run on the WHSv1 servers to access the shared content on the WS2012E server which was the trickiest thing I had to do.

I don't have any DLNA devices to work with so that I can not help you with. My primary notebook which runs 64 bit Win8 Pro 8.1 connects to everything at home and at work. At work I have networked printers, Security Servers, a Production Monitoring Server and an EX470 to backup the clients and also share files.

There are times when all my network devices do show up on my network but other times not but its not a big deal because I can just use \\device_name and I will be able to access the shared files. You can also map out each device so you can see it at all times. I basically only use my WS2012E server but do use the other servers to run certain dedicated applications to shift load away from my WS2012E server and to demonstrate to others what you can do with those other servers but its not necessary to run multiple servers its just a preference I have to do so plus those other servers hold client backups so until the day the clients are discontinued I will hold those backups and I have also redundant server backups to protect them even further.

On Win7 and Win XP accessing the content did not present an issue and they actually do a much better job showing the network devices then Win8. I still have clients running Win XP for critical applications that can not run on VISTA, Win7 or Win8 and I have a couple Win XP clients I use exclusively for WHSv1 Server Restoration which work without issue.

I have 2 WD Media Players in the house which work well with all my devices but I have them configured to connect to my WS2012E Server to play my media collection but I also have a Win7 Client I use as an HTPC that I recently built.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:35 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I didn't want to take a chance on mixing internal drives and external drives in the same pool. I have read to many problems with dropout so I am just playing it safe.
With (4) 4tb internal drives I will have plenty of room to keep my data on the internal set. Then keep the backup of that data on the external set.

Goodluck.

Thanks