It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:30 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have SMART on this setup, Ex490-Win2012E, but am wondering what anybody is using to monitor the CPU temp and Fan speeds. I feel like I'm running blind...
Hoping to find something that would email me or shutdown if a fan stopped or cpu got to warm.
I'll keep goggling but please shout out if you have already found something.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:48 pm 

Your server should shut itself down when things get too hot. I have this issue currently occurring with one server which I have left down until I have the time to tear things apart and see if the fans are working properly because I believe they are running way to slow or not at all. I believe even the PSU will shut down if it reaches a critical temperature for its protection.

You should already be monitoring your hard drive temps and if they are elevated then its a good indicator the fans maybe at issue this is what I happened to notice in the unit I currently have down now. For monitoring the CPU Temp, Load and Frequency I use a simple utility called CORE TEMP http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ If you chose to install it do a custom install because it will load a bunch of crap ware and toolbars that you will not appreciate. I use it more for troubleshooting or when I an concerned about temperatures of a CPU. I have an 8 Core CPU in my Desktop and its been reported to run HOT and some have had to put a water cooler on the CPU but this was not the case for me because I am not into gaming or any processor intense applications. I only opted for an 8 Core Processor because I though it would be cool not because I needed it for any specific reason.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
Gardian
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:52 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I guess that was more my question, does W2012E monitor its hardware and you are saying it does which makes sense, why would a server OS let itself burn up.
I know there is a reporting app you can install so I was thinkin it might be somewhat self aware.
I did turn on the (Shut Down in Smart) if any drive gets way to hot.
Then I will just keep an eye on the smart and it if shuts down then I will know it could have been the OS that did it or smart.
I'm playing with two old junky maxtors 500 gig drives and they are showing warm temps which made me nervous, because the ssd icydock raid does not give smart data.

I was thinking I might need to get into the bios and up the fans a bit but really didn't want to.
Thx

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:12 am 

The Health Alert Add-In provides you with reports from the actual server event logs. Its nice but there are some things that get reported that you will start scratching your head on. It does provide a snap shot of your drives showing you how much space is being used and if they are healthy but you and I know that's a false sense of security since the drive hardware could be failing and still get reported as being healthy. Oh its a cruel joke MS plays with use I tell you.

Its not the OS which will shut your server down but its actually controlled by the BIOS in all MSS Servers starting with the EX470. Go back and read about the servers shutting down when people were trying out different processors but for the most part Alex's Fan Speed Control ADD-IN resolved that issue. The point here is that the hardware will monitor itself and shut itself down should the CPU over heat.

The small utility I mentioned is useful for monitoring your processor temps, utilization and frequency. As I have already mentioned I use to it so I can observe these things on computers and servers I am working on to get an idea of how the processor is fairing. There is an Overheat Protection where you can set the temps and have it shut down the device the software is running on. I have never installed it on WS2012E so I am uncertain how it will work out but it may be worth giving a try.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
Gardian
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:31 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Well cool, I did not know that the hardware was intelligent, cool. Another good reason to use this hardware, yah!
HSS has a setting to shut down the server if the drives are HOT so I turned that on and if the bios is watching also, that's cool.

If one of the two back fans stopped, would the bios do something or would the something be because of the rise in temp as a result of the stoppage?
Again, thx I feel like I don't have to watch it so close, with WHS v1 we had the lights, so I was feeling a little blind. I feel better now.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:06 pm 

Your welcome but I would recommend you find a utility to help you determine what the normal operating temps are. Knowing this will help you troubleshoot the server when issues arise. Lets say your processor normally runs between 40-55c and it runs there everyday without issue. Then when you start having issues if the cpu is still within that range you will know its something else but if its up around 65c then its a different story. Of course the operating temperature for each CPU is different so knowing the range it can run at is also helpful.

Point here is you need to know what's normal so you can identify the abnormal.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks