It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: New Server - New Start
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:11 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hey guys,

Well it's been a journey that's for sure. In 2010 I bought my first MediaSmart EX490 and installed 4 Drives and set about filling it up. After around 7 months I had filled the 7TB up and went on to purchase a Sans Digital e-Sata enclosure and by this time last year that was full. Now I'll admit it wasn't an easy process at all. I had upgraded the CPU in the Media Smart but still thought it was very clunky (Most likely to do with the 2GB Ram) and I had a full sever melt down once and lost over 4TB of Data which was a complete nightmare. I decided I needed to upgrade when I had filled mine up and I knew I could have got USB enclosures but I was concerned about speed as I rip all my Blu Rays in .m2ts and was worried about lag. I also kept having the enclosure die on me half way through a movie so the whole system needed a full reboot just to get it working again.

At the end the server had stopped working. Every time I switched it on it could come up with some error on the three lights, I was just simply fed up with it so I have been waiting and deciding on a new server for a good few months now and finally bite the bullet and purchased the parts yesterday and ATM have a half working server.

My parts list:

Lian Li PC-A76X Full Tower Case (holds 12 hard drives)
Intel Core i3-3220 3.30GHz (Ivybridge) (Semi low powered - decent speed)
Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (had 6 sata's and good PCI slots)
Corsair 2013 Edition Gamer Series GS 700W PSU (Cheapish but not Modular :/ ATM the fan is running full speed constantly - Might have to RMA it?)
Corsair Vengeance Blue Low Profile 8GB 1600Mhz (More than enough)
Corsair Hydro H55 Quiet Liquid CPU Cooler (Thought i'd get something quiet yet efficient)
Lian Li PW-SA3 Molex to 3 x SATA Adapter (Extra Sata ports)
Seagate Barracuda 4TB 5900RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB

I plan on buying a Supermicro 8-Port SAS/SATA Card as soon as it is in stock as the new v3 realise is out now (I believe it is due in stock later today) along with two 3Ware multi lane SFF8087 to 4x SATA fan out cable (slightly concerned about the 0.5M length but can't seem to find a 1M one anywhere)

Software: Microsoft Windows Home Server 2011 64Bit

Right well It's all sort of together now - apart from the snake pit of cables I need to sort through. I have installed WHS 2011 on a 1TB WD Black drive which had the OS from WHSv1 on it, I have installed Stablebit Drive Pool (30 Day Trial) and have created a small pool of around 5TB atm and I'm currently placing one by one the hard drives from old sever (6x 2TB & 1x 1.5TB) drives and taking off all the data via DE (this time take some time :P)

So far WHS 2011 and DrivePool seem efficent and rather easy to use.

I want to know if you guys have any advice me on WHS2011 as looking at the Server Manager there are SO many more things you can do with this than you could with WHSv1. All I really use my server is streaming home media but obviously if you guys have got any good guides or stuff to read on any other things I may be able to do that would be great.

If not just let me know what you think or what I could improve on.

Thanks

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:05 pm 

Newegg has the 1m SFF8087 forward break out cables available:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6816116099
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6816132041

Not sure if your in an area where you can order from them but they are available if you know where to look. Just make sure you know the difference between forward and reverse breakout cables as they are directional in how they work from the SFF8087 connector. If that connector connects to the actual controller you want forward breakout and if it connects to a backplane you want reverse breakout. Thing is I use both and it gets confusing because they all look the same to me so I have to mark them.

You will love Stablebit Drive Pool for WHS2011 its a much simpler and friendlier solution then DE ever was with WHSv1 so that's a plus right from the start. My current server Highlander originally ran WHS2011 with Stablebit Drive Pool and recently I upgraded the OS to WS2012E and was able to migrate my Stablebit Drive Pool over to it without much difficulty. Just had to recreate the shares and point them to the Drive Pool and rename some of the WHS2011 folders in the storage pool and was done.

I do quite a bit of media streaming with my server as do many others and I use Remote Potato to stream online as I never made use of the media functions built into the server because of its limited support for video formats. I still run WHSv1 and WHS2011 servers in the house for other tasks but for the most part you will like WHS2011 it really runs problem free and should not give you too much grief over time.

I would recommend installing HHS2013 and setup the email alerts built into WHS2011 and just let it run. Terry Walsh has many eBooks out from WHS and WHS2011 that you may find interesting to help you set up additional things on your new server. http://store.wegotserved.com/

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:59 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Just to check quickly with you is this the correct cable I will need:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3ware-mu ... ngle-cable

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:14 am 

Here is the catalog the site you provided references: http://www.3ware.com/products/pdf/3ware ... ochure.pdf

The cable appears to be correct but its only .5m not the 1m your looking for. So the part number for the cable you would be looking for is as follows: CBL-SFF8087OCF-10M where the 10M actually means 1.0M and the one you referenced ended in -05M meaning 0.5M but your on the right track.

Now if you do not require a 1M long cable then why go that route but it will all depend on the size of your enclosure and how you desire to tackle your cable management but a 1meter cable is fairly long.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:33 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I'm going to go the 0.5 as its easy to get hold of and if it doesn't fit send it back but by the looks of it it should just about fit. Fingers crossed I'll find out in a few days and let you know.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:36 pm 

Hopefully it will and you will be good to go. Look forward to seeing how you make out.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:32 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Well I keep getting bloody issues which is annoying.

I have atm 6 HDD's plugged into the server and 3 of these in the drive pool. 2 of the other hard drives have data on them from the old server.

I'm trying to copy over the data from the DE drives into the new pool but when I try and copy over a lot of info at once. Say 500GB it starts to copy does a bit then just freezes while copying and doesn't do anything. Then I started transfering small amounts say 20GB and I keep getting this error: Error 0x8007045D: the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

Now I'm really stumped and would just love for it to work so I can get everything up and running.

Any ideas as to why?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:14 pm 

I would move the drives to a client and see what happens when you move data to the client. Thing your looking for is if you experience the same thing if so then the issue could reside with the actual drive and if not then you may have to look at the hard drive controller drivers to see if they are up to date or find out if others have experienced the same issue and what they did to resolve it. There could be a remote chance that the server doesn't like something about the drives and you may have better luck moving the data off the drives from a client which takes longer but right now your not making any forward progress anyway.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:14 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

The listed hardware is more than enough for a good WHS setup.

Thanks