It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Picking between med
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:44 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

A friend of mine is flying to Paris, and it might be a chance to get a new player, improving on my WD TV Live Streaming.

The only store I know (it has to be a store, not a web) that seems to stock MPs is HDLand, and it has mostly Mede8er and Dune types.

From the Mede8er types they stock the MED800X3D and the MED1000X3D, both with the same Realtek 1186 chip.

From Dune HD they have the SMART B1, H1 and 303 with Zappity.

Any suggestion on what should I go for?

I need this media player to accept external DVD or BD players, which I know for sure the Mede8er do, as I asked their support.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Picking between med
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:35 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I would definitely go with the Dune Smart Series D1 or H1. How much. Are they selling for? If you want 3D playback the Mede8er is the best one at the moment.

PCI-Intel Pro NIC
CASE-AZZA Helios 910
PSU-Corsair 750W
OS-UnRaid Final V5.0
Storage: 15 TB and growing!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:40 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

My friend ended up buying the Med8er MED1000X3D for me.

I definitely want this unit to play 3D mkv files with 3D subs, and it has to accept external optical sources through USB. The Med8er seems to do both, and will likely upgrade firmwares as new MKV versions are released.

Hopefully it will do things better than my WD TV Live.

The Dune D1 was not available in Paris. In any case, it looks as if the Dune Smarts are likely to get "old" soon, particularly if they do not play 3D properly.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:28 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

carlmart wrote:
My friend ended up buying the Med8er MED1000X3D for me.

I definitely want this unit to play 3D mkv files with 3D subs, and it has to accept external optical sources through USB. The Med8er seems to do both, and will likely upgrade firmwares as new MKV versions are released.

Hopefully it will do things better than my WD TV Live.

The Dune D1 was not available in Paris. In any case, it looks as if the Dune Smarts are likely to get "old" soon, particularly if they do not play 3D properly.

It isn't that the Dune Smart Series are old, they use a different chip. However, the Dune Smart Series media players are probably the most stable and reliable media player up to date. You could of bought a Mede8er online rather than waiting for your friend to buy it for you in Paris.

Here's the website: http://www.mediaconceptusa.com/index.html

However, the Mede8er at the moment is the best 3D media player. I am not sure what you mean by external optical sources. If you think that you can use an external DVD or BD player with the Mede8er, you will find out this won't be possible due to Cinavia. You can attach an external hard drive, and this will work.

PCI-Intel Pro NIC
CASE-AZZA Helios 910
PSU-Corsair 750W
OS-UnRaid Final V5.0

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:29 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

By external optical sources I mean external computer DVD or BD players, entering through usb into the media player. That shouldn't be blocked by Cinavia, as the Med8ex has no such things, as well as the Dune Smart.

About where to buy my unit, I live in Brazil, so getting it from Mediaconcept would mean high shipping expenses and import taxes, which may double the price I originally had paid.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:36 am 

carlmart wrote:
By external optical sources I mean external computer DVD or BD players, entering through usb into the media player. That shouldn't be blocked by Cinavia, as the Med8ex has no such things, as well as the Dune Smart.

About where to buy my unit, I live in Brazil, so getting it from Mediaconcept would mean high shipping expenses and import taxes, which may double the price I originally had paid.

The Mede8er does not support playback from an attached ROM drive via USB. In order to be able to do this the Mede8er would need to have a Blu Ray license which would mean Cinavia, etc...

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank dbone1026 for this post
GFOviedo
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:52 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
carlmart wrote:

The Mede8er does not support playback from an attached ROM drive via USB. In order to be able to do this the Mede8er would need to have a Blu Ray license which would mean Cinavia, etc...

Thanks for confirming this!

PCI-Intel Pro NIC
CASE-AZZA Helios 910
PSU-Corsair 750W
OS-UnRaid Final V5.0

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:24 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

My information from Med8er support is that it does, at least on the 3DX line. Let the MP get here to confirm what it does do.

In any case, what I need is for it to play external DVD through usb, as I don't have or plan to have an external BD player.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:34 am 

carlmart wrote:
My information from Med8er support is that it does, at least on the 3DX line. Let the MP get here to confirm what it does do.

In any case, what I need is for it to play external DVD through usb, as I don't have or plan to have an external BD player.

OK, I think for DVDs it should work (although I have never tried, everything should be in place to play back since full DVDs play back fine), I was talking specifically about Blu ray (which it won't).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:18 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I wrote again to support to confirm on the information I had. The answer was:

1) I have a DVD Rom that I use all the time for testing on the MED1000X3D and it works 100% for non DRM content So if I have DVD’s that are burnt in my PC or CD’s they play fine.

2) I don’t own a BD Rom but user son at the forum have tested it and it works with non DRM content.

When the unit gets here I will test it for external DVD. External BD if I find one.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:40 am 

carlmart wrote:
I wrote again to support to confirm on the information I had. The answer was:

1) I have a DVD Rom that I use all the time for testing on the MED1000X3D and it works 100% for non DRM content So if I have DVD’s that are burnt in my PC or CD’s they play fine.

2) I don’t own a BD Rom but user son at the forum have tested it and it works with non DRM content.

When the unit gets here I will test it for external DVD. External BD if I find one.

OK, so by non DRM that means a retail disc will not work (which would be expected)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:56 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Damian,

My MED1000X3D arrived this week-end, and at least on an external LG DVD player it seems to play everything I threw at it: retail discs, burnt discs, mkv files burnt on them. The DVD menus show as on a DVD or BD player.

About mkv backup copies, which I burn in DVD, some did have hiccups. But they were completely solved with the latest Beta firmware which they are trying now. Hopefully I will suggest some ideas for it on their next FW release.

As I don't have an external BD player, that is not something I could try yet. Hopefully will soon.

GFOviedo,

Code:
I am not sure what you mean by external optical sources. If you think that you can use an external DVD or BD player with the Mede8er, you will find out this won't be possible due to Cinavia. You can attach an external hard drive, and this will work.

This is what I meant, and it seems to work fine with external DVD players. My guess is it may also accept external BD players, with no Cinavia restrictions.

I am not saying this player is perfect, as it does take too many steps to do some simple operations. But it surely seems one of the most complete.

Thanks