It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:54 am 

Just when you get us to WS2012E here comes WS2012E R2.

So anyone going to install it?

Is there a migration path from WS2012E to WS2012E R2?

Guess I have to start reading up on it to figure out what it may have to offer to see if it might be worth my time to install. What I do not know is if it needs to be a complete new installation or if there is a migration path and then because I am running Stablebit Drive Pool I am uncertain about the impact of that or if Storage Spaces might be worth implementing but I am a big fan as most know of Stablebit Drive Pool because its simple and user friendly.

So just when I get settled in with one solution and option pops up with another and I am not certain nor do I know every little detail about WS2012E R2 but I am curious as I imagine others are too. Top that off with Win 8.1 and my mind is just becoming overwhelmed with things because I have yet to finish working on my other projects.

So what I am interested in knowing is who is installing WS2012E R2 and what are your impressions on it? If you have run WS2012E which do you like better and why? Also is there a migration path from WS2012E to WS2012E R2? Something tells me that it would require a full install and if correct then it may not be viable for me at this time. Then there is the cost and I have not seen anything about the cost yet and for those who recently purchased WS2012E will they get an free or reduced cost to upgrade to the R2.

Lots of questions and why a new version so soon when they could of just finished development of the R2 and released it or is this a sign of a new annual OS release which would drive me crazy but now I can firmly say Microsoft is now the leader in driving me crazy more then all my ex-wives combined.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:39 am 

Is there anywhere that notes the specific differences between WS2012E and the R2 version? I am still battling a few leftover demons with WS2012E (as you know already) so I probably wouldn't touch R2 unless there is an obvious benefit for my setup (which includes compatibility with Stablebit, etc...)

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:00 am 

So far I pick up more Cloud Integration, Office 365 is not integrated and not an ADD-IN, more support for virtualization, HTML5 Tough Screen integration for mobile device support, more mobile devices supported. My mind is just swimming in reviews and blog posts from others. Not clear on the migration path, no posted pricing and if you just purchased WS2012E can you go to WS2012E R2 for free or a small cost or if you have to purchase a new license.

I have been searching for information all morning but the more I search the more questions I have and there are still a lack of answers out there but its early. I first saw it in email from Microsoft to let me know it was available for download on TechNet and my first question was why so soon? I mean when Win8 was out the rumor popped up about Blue which is 8.1 but WS2012E R2 that took me by surprise and it leads me to believe WS2012E is not a complete product but that's just my speculation and is not based in fact. I always knew an OS is a work in progress and that even though its released its still being developed and I also know work on the next OS version is underway but why so soon does WS2012E R2 show up?

Just have to throw my hands in the air let others play with it and then like everything else determine if its the right way to go. If you have to install it as a new installation as with most server installs then I am not certain I am up for that task unless it will really rock my world and I am not into the cloud storage unless of course its on my end under my control as it can get expensive. I just want to keep my solution as simple as I can.

Last thing I want to do is to jump through hoops and pay for upgrades every year. So its wait and see and I know the will be enough people to install it and review it to help me form a much better opinion on it.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:47 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Here is a link that discusses the latest in the Server 2012 R2 releases. Essentials is included.
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/07/windows-server-2012-r2-preview-your-cloud-on-ramp-is-under-construction/

Looks interesting to me, maybe after my furlough I will be able to get something to put it on.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:37 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I am most certainly interested, especially if I can install R2 over the top of my current installation.

Even if not, I'm prepared to backup my data and blow the lot away just to give it a go. Reading the articles make it sound like it'll play nice with Windows 8.1, too.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:02 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

well what I can say for office 365.
Even though it is really office 2010 with some addons. For workgroup sharing and collaboration.
It is just the newer version of sharepoint. That Microsoft dropped.
So I see no benefit since it is really leased software.
So it expires every year just like other software like norton ,etc.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:37 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I can see it coming, sometime down the road we will rent our OS'es, server and client. Monthly and cloud based so you will have to have a internet connection and if you don't pay up, blank screen or just a pay your bill at Microsoft screen. :twisted: . Hang on to those old os'es boys and girls, you'll need them. :rofl:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:31 pm 

Guardian was it you who use to have in your tag line something like Fear the Cloud. Personally all I want to do with my server is to have all my toys be able to interact with it and I am doing that now but not quite 100% but enough to make me happy. If R2 enhances that capability then I am on board and if not then I guess I will be stuck with what I have and will have to live with it for quite sometime.

I have no clue just yet if R2 is right for me or not just have to play wait and see.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:21 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Yep, I ran out of room for "Fear the cloud" but I just spotted something in my PC mag that, well, didn't surprise me.

Attachments:
go go gone.jpg
go go gone.jpg [ 117.63 KiB | Viewed 15161 times ]

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:54 pm 

Well boxed software is on its way out as more and more software can be downloaded and installed off the internet which makes the optical drive less and less important and who knows soon to be obsolete. Who knows what the future will bring but the more we progress the more I think we are returning to the past. Only the word Cloud is new but the concept for what it actually is existed long ago when companies use to use terminals to connect to main frame. Now if they can take away our ability to store data locally then we will be forced to use the cloud and at what cost?

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:57 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I agree with guardian, we should fear the cloud. Once we buy into the whole data storage thing we are essentially held captive by our data. I like the original premiss of WHS, Personal Cloud. Where I own the box and manage it like I want.

Soon the big 2 will start telling us what we can and cant run. How we use our data. oh wait that is happening now. You can see it in WS 2012 Essentials, where you can only pick between 2 domain registrars. What about the other deals out there, what about the product I like that I want to use. This is just the beginning

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:49 pm 

Actually WHSv1 was the same way but in the HP MSS they added a 3rd option. I use the free sub-domains but I own a custom domain to make my domain name shorter and easier to remember for those who use my servers.

As I have said before I like my own personal space and I do not want to rely on some commercial cloud service to warehouse my data. More and more we see free storage being offered by others to lure us in and the more we use them the more we give up something. That something could very well one day be your privacy as who really owns the data you store in the cloud and how secure is it really. Now how secure is our server solution is also a fair question but the one thing we can always do with our servers to make things 100% secure is to disconnect them from the internet and just use it on our own intranet. That's something you can't do with the cloud.

I know things evolve and old technology falls by the way side but honestly I have no interest in the commercial for profit cloud services. If you like such things then great go for it and have fun with it but for me I just want to be left alone to run my own private cloud. Just wonder how long before things evolve where that will no longer be possible?

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:48 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

comp1962 Great post very good read at 5am.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:32 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I converted to WS2012E from WHS2011 last November. Very stable. I haven't had to touch it in months. I see no compelling reason to move to a new R2 version any time soon.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:08 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I'm in Ohio visiting family currently and my uncle is letting me have an older Dell desktop PC which is an P4 based system...not sure if it will run any server software but I am going to repurpose it for a test machine and test WS2012E on it (even if via ESXi).

I've read a bit about the R2 version, and echo many of the thoughts here. Plus it seems that you can get the Standard version with the Essential role enabled.

I can solve the issue I have with one of my PC's being an XP client by simply using independent backup software to backup to a share on 2012. There's another test I need to perform as well, and that's the Ceton tuner card I have currently running in Server 2008 R2. Since Server 2012 is Windows 8 based, I have to see how well it will work.

Whenever 2012 R2 is available to test, I am willing to give it a test run to see how well it will work, especially for VPN, RWA and media functions. Don't care for cloud services though and though I read that R2 has touch-screen capabilities, I could care less about those too. I don't own any tablets and don't see myself ever owning one. I can be somewhat anti-new technology on some things.

I figure testing it this way I can determine whether to put it on main SM 24-bay server full-time, and using FlexRaid for pooling and redundancy as I won't bother with Storage Services.

Thanks