It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:14 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I retired my upgraded EX470 over a year ago, and missed my opportunity to sell it (at a decent price).

I am very happy with my new server - a Fujitsu running ESXi 5 with WHS2011 running as a VM. Currently, I have a external SATA drive that's acting as a WHS2011 backup repository. It's only 1TB but ESXi sees it properly and therefore, so does WHS2011. Backups are fast. As opposed to when I tried to connect via USB - which was flaky on ESXi and the same backup was many order of magnitude longer.

The question is: how can I utilize my old EX470 as a backup repository? If I go SATA to SATA how will the EX470 be seen? Or will it be seen at all? If not, then what is the best way server to server? I can put them both in the same gig switch.

Thanks for your suggestions and/or links to articles that have addressed this before - as I have seen various discussions about robocopy scripts and things like that.

Adam in DC

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:33 pm 
Founder
Founder

Server to server via network is the only way you would do this. You can use robocopy scripts to synchronize shares, or I believe Cloudberry Backup supports backing up to another server.
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2013/04 ... r-support/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:08 pm 

I'm doing daily mirrored backups 5 days a week, 1 share per day from an N40L running WHS2011 to an EX490 running WHSv1 using Syncback Pro triggered by schedule.
Both servers run LightsOut and are triggered by calendar to wake at 9:45am for backups starting at 10am, sleeping / hibernating at 12:30.
Friday's backup includes the Administrator profile from the N40L, which is setup as a user on the EX490 with full access to all shares.
The initial run was pretty horrendous as I have nearly 5TB of data, but now things run very smoothly. Both are hardwired through a gigabit network and normal runs take no more than 40 / 50 mins, with error logs emailed automatically.
I've been running this way for about 9 months and so far it's been pretty reliable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:09 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

The free version of CrashPlan will also backup files (but not the OS or system state for bare metal restore!)

Thanks