It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: WANTED: New Media Player
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:41 pm 

I am finalizing my theater area in my basement finishing project and am looking for an easier system for storing all of my DVDs and streaming them through the projector.

I will tell you now, I love the idea of the Kaleidescape system, but don't have the money ($15,000+ ?). I think that the My Movies and AnyDVD autoripping will do the trick as far as one step ripping of my DVDs to my server. I am currently using an HP EX490/495 (forget which) running WHS v1. I have about 6TB and use the server for nothing else other than storage of family pics and home movies.

I have a WDTV Live SMP and an older WDTV, neither of which has impressed me much. I do have the WD Live set up with shares to pull all of my DVDs in ISO, however the multiple selections in order to view the shares is a no go for the wife (see my other post WDTV Live interface).

I am looking then to upgrade to a different streamer. I have read the multiple posts asking for various opinions and still cannot decide. So here are my concerns:

1 - Obviously need an easy interface, prefer turn on power and browse movies (with art). Would love to know which ones also support using Ipad to browse AND select movies to play.

2 - would rather have one that handles DVD ISO. Not thrilled about re-ripping 150 or so movies but will if have to.

3 - don't need a BluRay drive installed. Already have multiple BD players and Harmony remote can handle them.

4 - Probably need one that is easier to set up. I am learning but only understand about half of what you guys are talking about

5 - Can't break the bank!! The hardest one (after pleasing wife!).

Looked at Dune HD Max awesome but probably too much $ for me right now. Don't need the hot swap drives of the Duo or Smart series. I read Damien's review of the TV301, and was thinking about the 101 before reading that review, but not sure it will do what I am trying to do. I have also looked at the Popcorn hours. I am just not ready/willing to do a HTPC, though have considered Apple TV with XMBC but haven't heard enough to know if it will support ISOs and if I can figure out how to do it.

Currently BD support is not a big deal. I still prefer most DVDs as still feels like old film. Cowboys vs Aliens was first BD I watched and did not like how sharp it looked. Am I :crazy: ? I have always liked the somewhat graining texture you got at the movie theater.

Anything in need of clarification, please don't hesitate to ask/tell.

Thanks

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:04 pm 

Have you heard about the Ceton Echo? http://cetoncorp.com/products/echo/

This is a newly developed and currently shipping media center extender, and it may be what you are looking for. I have only begun investigating a new extender, but this is the only one that I have come across so far.

HP MSS EX487
HP e9270t
(2) HP MediaSmart extenders (x280n)
(1) MS Xbox360
(1) Roku XS
Playon software (themediamall.com)
SiliconDust HDHomerun Prime CC (3 tuner)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:09 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Well, today's theaters do not have that grainy texture anymore. Unless they haven't updated their equipment in the last 20 years.

Pretty much any media player can handle DVD ISO's, but not all of them have the option of a decent jukebox. I've own the following media players, Pivos AIOS, Mede8er Med500X2, WDTV2, PCH-A300, PCH-A210, and Dune Smart Series D1.

Pivos Aios
-It's cheap.
-It can handle HD audio, many BD formats, but it does't support BD ISO's.
-It will play DVD ISO's.
-It has a jukebox, which is a PIA to set up.
-Remote is unresponsive, which is frustrating.

Mede8er Med500x2
-Easy to set up.
-Nice UI.
-Hybrid Jukebox....combination of YAMJ with a splash of Mede8er style. I didn't like it. It was difficult to edit.
-Play HD audio, many BD formater, and it plays DVD ISO's, but doesn't support BD ISO's.
-Responsive remote.

WDTV2
You own these so you know how they are.

PCH-A300
Probably one of the worse media players PCH has made. Due to its audio bugs, terrible network and PIA internal jukebox set up, I ended up returning it after a week of ownership. However, there are people who are happy with it, but PCH isn't going to be supporting it as much due to the new PCH-A400 that came out.

PCH-A210
-I currently use it as a secondary media player for the master bedroom.
-Initial set up was a little bit difficult, but once you do it that's it.
-Firmware updates are horrible. I had to revert back to May 2011 firmware. Current updates have too many issues.
-Jukebox: I use a prebuilt YAMJ / Eversion jukebox. It looks good, and my wife likes it. At times it is a PIA to update the new movies.
-It can handle pretty much any type of file. BD and DVD ISO, HD sound, etc.
-Remote....rarely doesn't want to respond.
-So far I like it better than the PCH-A300.
-It has been pretty stable.

Dune Smart Series D1
-Stable.
-Easy to update FW.
-Handles every file I've throw at it. M2TS, MKV, DVD and BD ISO's as well as HD audio.
-Responsive remote.
-I use Zappiti jukebox, which is easy, simple and you can edit it on the fly.
-The only issue I've got with Dune is their PRICE!...or should I say overprice for what they are, but they work.

Mede8er has a new media player, which can handle both DVD and BD ISO as well as 3D, which cost less than a Dune media player. You might want to take a look at it.

PCI-Intel Pro NIC
CASE-AZZA Helios 910
PSU-Corsair 750W
OS-UnRaid Final V5.0
Storage: 15 TB and growing!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank GFOviedo for this post
dbone1026
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:57 pm 

Wow! Thanks again.

That was exactly the type of info I need.

So leaning towards the Dune TV301 and using 10Muse app for ipad. Any thoughts/concerns?

After looking at the Dune Smarts and 101/301, only real major difference in regards to my applications is lack of BD-ISO on the smaller items. Right now, not an issue for me. I only own 20 or so BD and not looking to expand much right now. Anyone else notice other major differences I should be concerned with?

Thanks again

Jason

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:39 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

The Dune with the 10Muse app will definitely have the highest WAF. My wife has no problem using that combination.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:16 am 

I would recommend the Smart over the 301 (both my reviews are on the blog here).

301 still has some bugs (HD Audio issues, since it is BD Lite it cannot handle seamless branch if you have, forced subs etc...)

If you just have a basic library (thinking DVDs, avis, mp4, mpegs, etc...) the 301 would be fine. If you plan on mixing in Blu Ray content (rips, HD audio, etc...) you will be better served with the Smart

You can actually see on the blog here I just posted an update on Dune, picked up another Dune Smart (B1) a month ago

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:36 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Not willing to hijack this thread, your quest looks quite similar to mine. Just opened a thread.

Your starting point seems the same: a WD TV Live. It has very good points, with a great image, wonderful upscaling for SD video, and seems to handle all kind of video & audio files.

In my case I need the MP to be able to accept external optical players through usb, which the WD TV can't do.

The Dune Smart D1 looks like a very good contender, even if a little bit pricey.

I always find customers feedback from Amazon and Newegg very useful. For media players, people seem to like the KDLINKS HD700, a recent release at a very good price.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:43 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

carlmart wrote:
Not willing to hijack this thread, your quest looks quite similar to mine. Just opened a thread.

Your starting point seems the same: a WD TV Live. It has very good points, with a great image, wonderful upscaling for SD video, and seems to handle all kind of video & audio files.

In my case I need the MP to be able to accept external optical players through usb, which the WD TV can't do.

The Dune Smart D1 looks like a very good contender, even if a little bit pricey.

I always find customers feedback from Amazon and Newegg very useful. For media players, people seem to like the KDLINKS HD700, a recent release at a very good price.

You will have to buy an external Dune extension to be able to access an external optical drive with the Dune, which have been discontinued.

PCI-Intel Pro NIC
CASE-AZZA Helios 910
PSU-Corsair 750W
OS-UnRaid Final V5.0
Storage: 15 TB and growing!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:55 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

GFOviedo wrote:
carlmart wrote:
You will have to buy an external Dune extension to be able to access an external optical drive with the Dune, which have been discontinued.

Not an option then. But apparently the Dune D1 (and probably all models) will accept an external USB DVD player at least.

Now I am considering other brands and models from KDLINKS and Mede8er that seem to handle 3D quite well too.

Thanks