It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:13 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hey guys, I have one of these and it worked, ssd to 3.5 adaptor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994083
It's a squeeze but it worked.
I have used the metal plates and they seem to line up as well.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:23 pm 

dbone1026 wrote:
Well, I haven't had time to dig into the anytime access issues so basically I just have to turn off my VPN manually when I want to access my shared drives from my PC.

So here is a quick question, I will admit I am being lazy researching. When WS2012E does a client backup, where is that backup stored? For example, I have my main hdd which is partitioned as C: (O/S) and D: (storage space). I have 15 other HDDs that are part of my stablebit pool. I am guessing the backup is going to the D: drive? Reason I ask, my backups have been failing, and I am guessing in part it is because I have less space on the D: drive then the PC that is being backed up.

The other night I finished backing up a client from work using a VPN connection then I saw that there were 2 netframework 4.5 updates so I let them go through and of course the server had to be rebooted and then all hell broke lose and I lost Remotewebaccess and with it my precious VPN Connectivity.

Long story short the cause of my issue was not the updates but something not working correctly with my NIC Team. As a matter of fact the IP Number for the NIC TEAM Changes which meant my Port Forwarding settings in my router would no longer work. So for the time being I removed all the NICs in the Team then Deleted the Team leaving only the NIC on the motherboard to handle all server connectivity. Reset port forwarding for the NIC IP and bang everything appears back to normal.

Now the original Intel Drive has a good Teaming Configuration that just works without issue but Microsoft thinks their driver is better so it wipes the drivers out both in Win8 and WS2012E which I really find annoying. So when I have time I am going to reconfigure the Windows Updating not to do any automatic updating and what not so that I can intercept the NIC Driver Update and resume using the Intel Setup to handle my NIC Teaming and not the version that Microsoft incorporated into WS2012E.

Also started having some hard drive issues so I have been pulling them out for testing before getting an RMA. WD is easy to work with but I think Intel will be a challenge since they want you to go back to the retailer for corrective action before calling them and the retailer told me to deal with Intel directly. Sad to lose my Intel SSD and the other drive is a 2TB WD Black which I know I will be sending back because I can hear those heads clicking.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:23 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Here is the bracket I got. It works wonderfully. Im so happy with my purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/CRU-2-5-3-5-Adapt ... er+Bracket

Attachments:
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 1.74 MiB | Viewed 19967 times ]
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG [ 2.24 MiB | Viewed 19967 times ]
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG [ 2.73 MiB | Viewed 19967 times ]
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank T-Bone for this post
Comp1962
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:56 pm 

Now that's good to know and I will keep that bracket in mind for anyone who wants to install an SSD or 2.5" drive into their MSS.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:27 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

one thing to know is that I had to remove the pin from one side of the caddy to get it in the caddy. as the adapter has no hole there due to SSD being in the way. no big deal it pops out and Gets put-ten away

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:44 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So we have been enjoying WS2012e for a while now and some of us (me excluded) have been enjoying ws2012e R2. Im wondering if 2012e or 2012e R2 was worth the jump from WHS v1 or whs 2011. I'm in the middle of setting up my WS2012e box and am wondering if its worth the trouble or if I should just jump to WHS 2011. While playing with 2012 is great experience for me if I want to move up in the company Im currently at, I don't want to lose my data or make it inaccessible cause I don't know what im doing.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:52 am 

T-Bone wrote:
So we have been enjoying WS2012e for a while now and some of us (me excluded) have been enjoying ws2012e R2. Im wondering if 2012e or 2012e R2 was worth the jump from WHS v1 or whs 2011. I'm in the middle of setting up my WS2012e box and am wondering if its worth the trouble or if I should just jump to WHS 2011. While playing with 2012 is great experience for me if I want to move up in the company Im currently at, I don't want to lose my data or make it inaccessible cause I don't know what im doing.

Overall I have enjoyed moving from WHSv1 to WS2012E. There were definitely some headaches along the way (difficulty at the first install with finding proper drivers, issues with Teaming NICs, etc...) that made it feel a little less "plug n play" than when I used WHSv1. There are definitely some quirks in the system that you need to work around / get used to (domains, etc...), and some issues I have encountered were more hardware issues than specifically WS2012E. I should mention as well, I am using Stablebit for drive pooling / redundancy and currently have about 46TB of storage

Assuming you are upgrading to a server O/S and cost is not a factor, I see no reason not to give WS2012E a shot. However, if cost is a factor (in particular for a home environment) I personally would just go with Windows 8 + Stablebit (I got WS2012E for free which is why I went with)

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:36 am 

I actually like WS2012E and I have purchased a license for when my TechNet subscription expires so that I can continue using it. I also like WHS2011 but was attracted to the VPN component of WS2012E which allows me to easily access my shares and backup my notebook outside my home. The domain component took some getting use to because I still have a mixed environment.

Like dbone1026 I did run into issues with NIC Teaming not working as well as it should so for the moment I am not running a NIC Team but it was easier for me to do with WHS2011 using the INTEL Drivers but in WS2012E the drivers get changed so I have to put a stop to that to get my team working again the way I want.

I did run into some issues with routers not playing well with WS2012E but those were the newer Linksys Routers currently being sold. I am currently using a Netgear Router and its working extremely well with my multiple server setup and I have a couple Linksys Routers that I can use to fall back on should my Netgear Router ever fail.

I also found out its easy to break WS2012E but also discovered how well the server restoration from a server backup drive works. It only took me about 1 hour to restore my server and I did not have to reconfigure the entire server it worked perfectly.

I am using Stablebit Drive Pool and am very happy with it. You can move a pool to a different system running Stablebit Drive Pool and it will be recognized. This allowed me to easily migrate my WHS2011 server to WS2012E which was a big plus because it would take me forever to move my shares from one server to another so this is a big plus for Stablebit Drive Pool.

The big hit for the home user is the cost of the OS and the alternative is WHSv1 or WHS2011 and I have to tell you WHS2011 with Stablebit Drive Pool is a great alternative and it works well. I like it so much I actually setup a couple EX485's to run WHS2011 and both are running very well. One I have here to play with the other I sold.

I will also admit I am still running a WHSv1 server because of the Client Backups, it also runs my Subsonic Website and I use the landing page to direct traffic to my other servers. As I become more familiar with IIS8 I will let my WS2012E server handle my web pages.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:08 am 

I should add as well, I was able to do a client recovery with WS2012E and it went smoother than with WHSv1. The big difference, for v1 you needed to find and load the NIC driver, with 2012E this was not necessary.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:29 am 

Actually I restored my mothers notebook using WS2012E this week. I did have to delete the hard drive partitions before I could get the recovery to take place as I encountered one of those unknown errors. Other then that the recovery went well.

I can't actually get my mother to make the VPN connection so I remote into her notebook and make the VPN connection and perform a manual backup for her. Of course her fist question when I told her the notebook was done was regarding the loss of her pictures. I told her anything after the date I restored from would be lost and that if the pictures are that important to her then she needs to learn how to make that VPN connection and logon to the Launch Pad to backup her computer. Thing here is it took me years to get her to use a computer and it may be years before she makes that VPN connection on her own.

I will also add that after upgrading 2 clients to Win 8.1 Pro I had to uninstall the Client Software and then install it again to get things working like before the upgrade. Very painless reinstallation.

As for the NIC Drivers with WHSv1, WHS2011 and WS2012E all I can say is I have clients which require no NIC Drivers to be loaded and others which do pertaining to WHS versions but I have not come across this in WS2012E yet but I have only performed 1 client recovery so its hard to say.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:06 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I am glad to read that WS 2012 has been pretty successful in your operations. I am thinking of going ahead and making my Intel-based SM server a 2012 box as well. Since I only have one XP client that isn't compatible for the backups, i'll just have to use a standalone backup product like Paragon for backups.

Currently have 2008 R2 going but I have had a bear of a time trying to get VPN set up on it, and even then, its just too difficult to setup manually and could not really get it to work. WS 2012 made it painless and much easier with its automated set up. I should have taken up IT.

I don't have a ton of data on my drives right now, so it should be painless in transferring them to 2012, along with using Stablebit (I like its interface intergration with the dashboard better than the standalone in 2008 R2).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:15 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
Assuming you are upgrading to a server O/S and cost is not a factor, I see no reason not to give WS2012E a shot. However, if cost is a factor (in particular for a home environment) I personally would just go with Windows 8 + Stablebit (I got WS2012E for free which is why I went with)

I got WS2012E for free also, Looks like its time to really commit to the upgrade. :whs:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:24 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

if something happens to the OS in WS2012E is it like WHSv1 I can pull the data drives and save my data?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:00 pm 

If your using Stablebit Drive Pool the answer is absolutely. I can not comment on Drive Bender or Storage Spaces as I have only used Stablebit Drive Pool and I am very happy with it as it meet all my needs, wants and desires.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:29 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I too have installed WSE 2012 R2. So far its ok.
I have issues remotely connecting to my pc's because of the certificate issue. I'm not able to add certificates to my remote pc. This wasn't required for WHSv1.
I also ran into the 64 bit vs 32 bit java when installing subsonic and serviio. I have 2 versions of java installed.
I'm working on my esata cage now, the hardware that I received has the esata multiplier disabled, so I'm ordering an esata raid card. Hopefully I'll be able to use all the drives from my old WHS box.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next