It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:52 am 

OK, so I tried setting up Anytime access on my server and I get a bunch of errors:

- Route has UPnP disabled (not true, this is enabled)
- Internet Connection is not available (not true)
- Anywhere Access to your server is blocked port 80 and 443 (used these ports without issue for my WHSv1 machine and changed my port forwarding on my router to now point tothe WS2012E server IP)
- There may be more then one router on your network (no clue what this is)
- VPN is not configured correctly

Basically I am trying to do as VieuxJules suggested and install the connector software via the web domaim, but I get a message "getfile: Cannot open URL(/etc_ro/web/connect,No such file or directory)" which I am guessing is b/c Anytime access is not set up correctly.

Anyone have any ideas, I am using the Linksys E4200

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:59 am 

Sometimes you just need to turn everything on the network off then turn the modem on, then the router and then the connected network devices which is a big PITA but sometimes this corrects a lot of issues that cause a lot of head scratching and hair loss.

The UPnP I have absolutely no use for and while it may be enabled I still forward my ports but this only works if you reserve IP Numbers to your devices and your E4200 should allow IP Reservation. I would assume you have already done this.

I do see from time to time the server reporting its not connected to the internet and I am not sure why but I always confirm the server has internet connectivity so I tend to ignore such foolish messages. Interesting enough I also saw this in WHS2011 and WSBS2011 when I was playing with that for a period of time.

I have seen the message about having more then 1 router but in my case I do have 2 routers. The Cisco RSV4000 is the primary router I am currently using and the older Linksys WRT610N is configured to act as an Access Point since the RSV4000 is not a wireless router. So for me its true I do have more then one router but if memory serves me correct I did see that same warning before reconfiguring the WRT610N. Interesting enough is I no longer see that warning so it may go away on your end too.

When I setup Anywhere Access it was a big PITA because of the errors the server threw at me about port forwarding, UPnP and all sorts of Red Highlighted stuff.
I have 2 servers which I have Remote Access to and I have been able to access 3 servers so getting things to work is a bit tricky and rebooting everything as mentioned above gets things off and running well once the setup is done. I just allowed WS2012E setup the VPN which does some interesting things with my Win8 clients which looks like they were being setup all over again. When I logon to my Win8 clients I use the ClientName\UserName to logon to them so that I can see everything properly on my network both at home and at work. I also believe I set the VPN up after I teamed my NIC's not before but I am uncertain if this will make a difference.

I know you teamed your NICs but when you first setup Anywhere Access did you do this before or after teaming the NICS and are you using the new Teamed NIC IP for the server for your port forwarding? Also make sure your reserved IP for the server is reserved for the NIC Team if you are using NIC Teaming. Not really sure where your at with this.

Now I do not have a Linksys E4200 but I imagine it setups much the same as the Linksys WRT610N which I believe you have used in the past. If you look at manual configuration recommendations from Microsoft they recommend setting up the following ports.

SMTP - 25 - I don't have this enabled
HTTP - 80 - I still have this forwarded to my WHSv1 server.
HTTPS - 443
HTTPSSP - 987 - SharePoint - I don't have this enabled yet
VPN - 1723 - I don't have this enabled
RDP - 3389 - I don't have this enabled yet

Sometimes I think Microsoft doesn't do a good job setting up routers which is why I just configure them for what I need them to do and again sometimes just rebooting every network device on your network may resolve a lot of thing. You may at first just want to turn on the modem then the router and then the server and attempt to setup Anywhere Access to see if the issue goes away before turning on the other network devices. Then once you get everything working backup the routers configuration.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:50 pm 

I do have several access points around my house (actual APs, not routers). Wonder if that is causing the message. What is weird about the internet message, I set up the email notifications from my server and that works fine, so of course internet connectivity is not an issue.

As far as NIC Teaming, I had set that up already prior to trying Anytime access. I am using the IP address I get when I run the ipconfig cmd on my server, and that is what I changed my port forwarding to on my router. I also have this IP address reserved in my router

Here is another odd thing. When I go to my anytime web address it takes me into my DLink Camera which makes no sense since I don't have that port forwarded to the camera.

I will probably try as you say, shut everything down and slowly boot things back up. I need to get Anytime Access working otherwise I can't install the connector via the website (and if I can't do this then I will keep running into the VPN issues)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:05 pm 

lol, so I decided to remote the server from my DHCP reservation and re add. Now I can access the website. I will remove the connector software in a bit and try again via the web UI ... wish me luck ...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:17 pm 

When testing Remote Web Access to your server its always best done outside your network. My sisters server works perfectly but if I test her Remote Web Access from her own network her router's admin screen pops up and yet the routers remote access is disabled. Along time ago I realized that if I wanted to know if things were working to test them outside my own network because there are times when things appear to work but really do not and appear not to work when they do.

Now if I want to test things out I will use one of the computers I have access to from LogMeIn to access my network to verify if things are working properly or I will shut my cell phones WiFi down and use the cell phone to check things out.

So confirm your servers Remote Web Access from outside your network and lets see if its actually working or not.

Just read your DHCP note and Good Luck....

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:44 pm 

Comp1962 wrote:
When testing Remote Web Access to your server its always best done outside your network. My sisters server works perfectly but if I test her Remote Web Access from her own network her router's admin screen pops up and yet the routers remote access is disabled. Along time ago I realized that if I wanted to know if things were working to test them outside my own network because there are times when things appear to work but really do not and appear not to work when they do.

Now if I want to test things out I will use one of the computers I have access to from LogMeIn to access my network to verify if things are working properly or I will shut my cell phones WiFi down and use the cell phone to check things out.

So confirm your servers Remote Web Access from outside your network and lets see if its actually working or not.

Just read your DHCP note and Good Luck....

I lied, it is not working anymore, keeps directing me to my DLink camera :x

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:23 pm 

What if you temporarily disable the camera what happens then? I know you want the camera but it would be interesting to see if the Remote Web Access connection could be made without the camera. Remember to test outside your network not within your network.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:06 pm 

Comp1962 wrote:
What if you temporarily disable the camera what happens then? I know you want the camera but it would be interesting to see if the Remote Web Access connection could be made without the camera. Remember to test outside your network not within your network.

We aren't u sing the camera right now (in the nursery room so a few months before it gets used again), so I unplugged and now the website doesn't load at all. One interesting thing, the remote website is an https site, but when I try to access in my browser via https I get a big red X through it (for those few moments where the website did work I didn't get this red X and it loaded correctly)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:17 pm 

With the camera not connected try repairing Remote Web Access to see if that corrects the issue. Sometimes the setup works quickly other times it takes awhile but since the domain was setup previously it should work.

Are you by any chance using a custom domain?

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:21 pm 

Comp1962 wrote:
With the camera not connected try repairing Remote Web Access to see if that corrects the issue. Sometimes the setup works quickly other times it takes awhile but since the domain was setup previously it should work.

Are you by any chance using a custom domain?

Yeah, no luck with the repair. I am using the default Microsoft domain (i.e. ServerAssignedName.remotewebaccess.com). I will just reboot everything in a few (I have a few processes running that I need to complete) and see what happens.

I can see there is a message that the Certificate on the Server does not match the certificate on t he computer which appears to be breaking the https

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:42 am 

I already posted this in another thread but the other night after allowing 2 updates to Netframework 4.5 to take place which also meant the server had to be rebooted, I had lost my RemoteWebAccess. This was not the fault of the updates so I need to be clear on that part. What I found was the IP number used by my NIC Team for some reason changed which meant all my forwarded ports were not longer valid. I even corrected the IP Number and still had issues so I removed all NICs from the Team and then deleted the Team. I checked the IP number and then changed my port forward settings to get things back to normal.

Typically I have UPnP disabled because of my router setup to manipulate the ports for the different servers and UPnP screws that up so I do not typically use it. Now I did have some issues so I turned on UPnP and it helped then the two servers started fighting for control so I ended up disabling it again and as of now things are working properly on my end but I still have to test the VPN function out which is what I want the most for my notebook and the notebook I am about the sent to my mother so that both can be backed up outside the house.

So verify the IP number is the same you have your port forwarding setup for and then try turning UPnP off and see if that makes a difference. If your IP has changed as it did with mine then that would be one major reason why your having difficulty getting RemoteWebAccess setup and working.

As for NIC Teaming I am will get back to that but what I want is to set up my INTEL NICS using the INTEL Driver not the Microsoft Driver and if you allow Microsoft updates to run a muck it will change the NIC Driver which means you lose the ability to adjust the INTEL NIC Teaming which I believe works better and its how I had my WHS2011 server setup and without issues. All I know is my setup was working and then bang it all went to hell after the server rebooted but I have no clue why the NIC Team IP number changed.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:37 pm 

I am starting to get frustrated with the WS2012E VPN feature. I have it working well on one Notebook which I am going to send to my mother this week but I am unable to get it to work with my new notebook. It appears to make the VPN Connection but now able to logon to the Dashboard. The event logs have not been helpful in that the Microsoft links are like none existent for help. It appears there is a DNS and timeout issue.

I have compared the VPN settings between the two notebooks and they are both set the same. If I make a physical network connection on a remote network I can get everything to work but not all the time. However it never works using a WiFi Connection.

Lately I seem to be spending more time troubleshooting this issue then actually enjoying my server. Remote Web Access works and that's great but I got hooked on the VPN and if I am unable to get this working then what's the point in staying with WS2012E as WHS2011 never gave me this much grief.

As I seek out a solution to this problem I am reading I am not alone. Hopefully I will find a solution over the next 4 days which I have off from work to concentrate on this issue but the thing is to test it I need to be outside my network.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:54 pm 

I got the VPN working on the new notebook. I actually configured my own connection first using the home IP number which worked well but you know that number can change so I decided to use my TZO Custom Domain Link and am now a happy camper. I am not sure why the RWA Link works on one notebook but not the other but to be on the safe side I am going to configure all clients using my TZO Custom Damain Link leaving the RWA VPN alone.

As for the NIC Team I am going to address that but this time I am going to install the INTEL Drivers and not allow Microsoft to install or upgrade their drives for the Intel NICs. Rather then configure the NIC Team using WS2012E I am going to use the Intel Driver to configure the NIC team and see how that works or if I opt to use WS2012E to configure the NIC Team I will make certain the INTEL Drivers remain installed on the server because they have very nice testing utilities built into them. Just hate it when Microsoft thinks they know best and two things I do no allow Microsoft to update are the Graphics Drivers and now the NIC Drivers.

I am seeing some additional thing pop up like DSFR which I have no clue yet what that's about but it has to do with some database not shutting down properly so I will have to figure out that one and hopefully things will settle down to the point I can be running a trouble free server once again.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:25 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

You guys have been great put the WS2012E to a test run.

I've got WS2012E running for two weeks. It is a great product. But it is just a wrong product for us home user. IMHO.

My main use of a WHS is for central storage and media streaming. Backup is done manually, about once a month. I've used web access of my previous WHS2011 for about twice over one year+.

The very first thing that kills my interest in WS2012E is the domain/active directory. Each family member has his/her own computer. No need to share since I have 3 more computers as spares. They actually use Windows local accounts and we skip the MS online accounts.

To keep the Active Directory/Domain on, the server has to stay 24/7. This is a NO No to me. We shut down all PCs when not in use, to save energy and "home air pollution." We also do not want the situation that users can't login when the server is down.....

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:40 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Old thread, But, Win2012E has come down in price. I tried the win2012E R2 and didn't like it.
I believe you are right about it not being a Good solution for the average home user, (that would have a learning curve on WHS V1)
Mine is still setting collecting dust, I fire it a few times a year to get updates. I would not use the AD and I have it setup to sleep at night like My x-510's that I continue to use.

Win2016 I doubt I will even give it a try. I have a couple of win2011 WHS that I haven't used that I would try First.

To bad Microsoft has turned there back on storage/streaming. But that is what they do (whatever they want)

I have skipped win10 on all my clients and will run WHS V1 as long as I can. When the time comes Win2012E is better then a NAS imho. But not by much :-) :rofl:

Good Luck All.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks