It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:13 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi. I posted this on another forum and have not yet received anything definitive. I am installing Essentials on an HP EX 495. I read in various threads that one easy way to do it is to put an unformatted drive into a separate PC, start the install, and then remove the drive after the first restart and continue the installation in the HP EX 495.

So my question--- and forgive me if this is really dumb --- I have an ICYDOCK connected to a 64-bit laptop via USB. Can I mount the unformatted drive in the ICYDOCK, start the install via the CD on my laptop, and direct the installation location to the unformatted target drive in the ICYDOCK?

For obvious reasons, if there is no prompt to specify the install location, I don't want to try this in case it attempts to install over my laptop's OS! Will Essentials install routine ask me where I want to install? I guess the next question would be, if so, will it see an unformatted drive in Icydock connected to the laptop via USB?

If there is no risk to my laptop, i would prefer to try this first before the unattended install method.

Thanks to all in advance for any advice on this!

-Jeff

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:11 pm 

While I do not have the answer to your exact question I will tell you that working with any headless system is at times a royal pain and the simplest of all the solutions is to purchase and install a DEBUG Board so that you can get a video output then you can load just about any OS you desire on your server and also be able to better troubleshoot connectivity issues when they arise. You will over time spend less time scratching your head when issues arise because you will have complete access to the servers desktop right from the server itself. Even if you were staying with the original OS I would still make the recommendation because it opens up a new world of possibilities.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:55 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

JSG1967 wrote:
Hi. I posted this on another forum and have not yet received anything definitive. I am installing Essentials on an HP EX 495. I read in various threads that one easy way to do it is to put an unformatted drive into a separate PC, start the install, and then remove the drive after the first restart and continue the installation in the HP EX 495.
So my question--- and forgive me if this is really dumb --- I have an ICYDOCK connected to a 64-bit laptop via USB. Can I mount the unformatted drive in the ICYDOCK, start the install via the CD on my laptop, and direct the installation location to the unformatted target drive in the ICYDOCK?

For obvious reasons, if there is no prompt to specify the install location, I don't want to try this in case it attempts to install over my laptop's OS! Will Essentials install routine ask me where I want to install? I guess the next question would be, if so, will it see an unformatted drive in Icydock connected to the laptop via USB?

If there is no risk to my laptop, i would prefer to try this first before the unattended install method.

Thanks to all in advance for any advice on this!

-Jeff

removing after 1st restart doesn't work
the way I did was fully install it in another computer, then just take the hard drive and put into in EX 495
(best to use a intel chipset system to do your install)

Thanks