It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:53 pm 

Oh the backup is a dream come true especially if you have a notebook and are away from home via the VPN connectivity. I have to get a movie player on my notebook so I can watch videos right off the server during a VPN Connection. I just a have a few loose ends to finish up on then my will hope to have everything setup the way it was when the server was running WHS2011 and I will be the happiest old fart on earth. Then again there is always something just around the corner I will be itching to try out but if it can be done with one of my other servers I will dedicate the task to them to help me justify keeping them running.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:33 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
Whoa, for whatever reason my email notifications stopped for this thread, missed a bunch of posts :x

Why would you guess use your server as the DHCP services? I have t hat with my router so I figure if it ain't broken ...

Overall things are going well, I have almost all of my data transferred over now and all the remaining case fans installed. A few more days of stability testing and then I should be able to hopefully get my writeup posted.

Using the servers DHCP has some minor benefits.
you can have custom DNS entries, this is helpful if you use a Proxy product to keep the kids safe.
You can also have larger than class C not that you need it.
Reservation work reliably where on some consumer routers not so good.
You can exclude addresses from the scope.
And if you have a manageable switch you can have what known as VLANs where some devices can talk to other devices on different subnets.
So for instance say your router was set at 192.168.1.1 and you had DHCP running you could have two VLANS
one in the 192.168.1.0 range and another in the 192.168.100.0 range
The switch would allow you devices to talk to each other but any system given an 192.168.100.0 range IP would not be allowed to go out to the internet it wouldn't be routable.
This is good for security cameras or in home controlled devices.
Complicated but very cool probably not necessary for the average guy.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:20 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So got my intel SSD and unpacked it and looked at mounting it to the adapter plate. Then I noticed that The SATA plug didn't look like it would line up. is there a better adapter to use?

Im planning to build this in a MSS

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:40 am 

I have an Intel 330 Series SSD and am looking at the Intel Adapter Plate that comes with the drive and your correct it will not work for mounting in an MSS or any other drive tray for 2 reasons. The first is the mounting holes place the SSD in the center of the tray where as the location needs to be on the right side of the tray that's the insertion view. The other reason is it raises the height of the drive because Intel is accommodating space for the screw heads but more so if you have anything between the MSS Tray and the SSD your going to raise the height of the Power and SATA Ports causing an alignment issue and risk damaging either the backplane or SSD ports.

I see 2 options the first is to locate and drill mounting holes in the MSS Tray but you would need to remove the mounting pin near the flap on the right side of the tray. The difficulty here is getting the alignment correct so you cause no damage to either the backplane or the SSD. The only thing I would worry about is the wear and tear on the drilled holes over time and the potential alignment issues they may cause. The other option would be to use the actual SSD Bracket but modify it so the SSD can be mounted as far away from the MMS backplane as possible and run power and SATA cables between the SSD and backplane keeping the length of the cables long enough so that when you slide the drive tray out you can easily connect and disconnect the cables. The SATA Cable that came with your SSD should be long enough to do this but the power cable I see with mine is useless because its short and its MOLEX to SATA. This cabling approach is by far the easiest thing I can come up with at this time.

I am certain others may have different ways of doing this.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:49 am 

I went to install the APC PowerChute Buisness Edition and for the life of me I can not get it to configure properly for WS2012E and its listed as compatible with it. I am thinking that maybe its the actual UPS I have been running on Highlander so I will have to break down and purchase a different UPS to see if it make a difference.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:01 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
So got my intel SSD and unpacked it and looked at mounting it to the adapter plate. Then I noticed that The SATA plug didn't look like it would line up. is there a better adapter to use?

Im planning to build this in a MSS

You know I thought about this and you know you can just connect a SATA/POWER cable to connect the SSD to the backplane and just let the drive sit in the tray and then just make sure the cable is long enough should you want to remove the SSD when pulling the tray. If you want to secure the SSD to the tray then use Velcro. I started thinking about this because I want to install a different OS in an EX470 and I really do not want to pull another hard drive from my server to do the test but I happen to have 2.5" drives both mechanical and SSD that I can use for this test.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:24 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Here is what I got I put it in the server and too a little more ump!! to get the drive. I dont know if its normal or abnormal. when I power the server on Ill let you know if it worked

http://www.amazon.com/Mushkin-Enhanced- ... ve+adapter

Attachments:
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG [ 1.94 MiB | Viewed 19604 times ]
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG [ 1.94 MiB | Viewed 19604 times ]
photo 3.JPG
photo 3.JPG [ 1.79 MiB | Viewed 19604 times ]
photo 4.JPG
photo 4.JPG [ 2.01 MiB | Viewed 19604 times ]
photo 5.JPG
photo 5.JPG [ 1.95 MiB | Viewed 19604 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:18 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

i will be getting this next week so hopefully it works better. This one specifically mentions backplane compatible on newegg. Amazon just had better pricing:

http://www.amazon.com/CRU-2-5-3-5-Adapt ... er+Bracket

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:35 pm 

Well I am happy your the one doing all this purchasing and testing. Well Gardian is testing a RAID Device which allows you to connect 2 2.5" Drives into a single bay to set them up in I believe RAID 1 so I am anxious to see how things work out for him too. Both of you are using MSS Enclosures and I have one of mine going out the door next month and it would be nice to offer an SSD and or SSD with RAID to the person buying the server. Then again after he gets his crash course on servers from me he could commission a build.

Keep up the good work and when in doubt remember Velcro and a cable are a cost effective solution to mounting an SSD to an MSS Tray.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:57 am 

Well, I haven't had time to dig into the anytime access issues so basically I just have to turn off my VPN manually when I want to access my shared drives from my PC.

So here is a quick question, I will admit I am being lazy researching. When WS2012E does a client backup, where is that backup stored? For example, I have my main hdd which is partitioned as C: (O/S) and D: (storage space). I have 15 other HDDs that are part of my stablebit pool. I am guessing the backup is going to the D: drive? Reason I ask, my backups have been failing, and I am guessing in part it is because I have less space on the D: drive then the PC that is being backed up.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:21 am 

You can move your client backups to your Stablebit Drive Pool from the Storage on the Dashboard. You will then see Server Folders then if you scroll through them you will see Client Computer Backups and to the right of that you will see where the backups are being stored.

From the far right side of the screen you will see Move the Folder and if you select that you can relocate the folder to another storage drive. I moved mine to the Stablebit Drive Pool which also means my backups are getting duplicated so I have some redundancy and added protection.

When one is busy with their daily life tending to work and family its not being lazy to ask a question. I know what its like to be busy, sometimes I have the candle burning from both ends and then someone lights it up in several places in the middle. Thing here is you will know your in real trouble when the Doctor Prescribes the Magic Bean which causes you to sit on a park bench feeding pigeons while your in a fog. I know we are not on any magic beans because we still come here and share information and yes sometimes we have to ask too.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:29 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
So here is a quick question, I will admit I am being lazy researching. When WS2012E does a client backup, where is that backup stored? For example, I have my main hdd which is partitioned as C: (O/S) and D: (storage space). I have 15 other HDDs that are part of my stablebit pool. I am guessing the backup is going to the D: drive? Reason I ask, my backups have been failing, and I am guessing in part it is because I have less space on the D: drive then the PC that is being backed up.

Backups are stored on the "Computer's Backup" share. So, it depends on how you installed ws2012e in the first place, if your machine had only one disk at installation time, then the backup share was installed on the C: drive... and I think it's there by default anyways. So you just have to move the backup share to the D: drive (which would include at least a Pool with a Space in it). But if, for some reason, it actually is on the D: drive (which you guessed could be full), and if you have a spare disk, you can create a Pool with these two drives, create a Space on it (with simple resilience) and move the Computer Backup share in that Space. your backup share will now have access to the whole space of the two (or more) disks.

An interesting note is that if your C: drive has lots of unused space, you can include that residual space in the Pool with your D: drive; the Space (simple resilience) in that Pool will cover the whole D: drive plus the remains of your C: drive.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:32 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Oops! just saw that comp had answered the question #-o . Anyways, now you have two different solutions to choose from. :chicken:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:05 am 

No problem. Lets see a few others chime in and offer him so many solutions that he will never use the term LAZY again. Besides with all the toys he has to maintain in his house its a wonder he has anytime on his hands at all. Its all good stuff too.....

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:02 pm 

Good stuff here :mss:

I added a spare 2TB drive to my server, so the thought was just to simply point the backups to that drive. Seems like I can do that based on what you guys posted, so I will give it a shot and report back

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next