It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Server build
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:25 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

My HP 495 with WHS v1 is having issues and the wife couldn't stand the thought of loosing any baby pictures said replace the server. Who am I to argue?

Here is what I'm thinking:

Case Silverstone P607B $74.99 http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Tek-Micro-ATX-Mini-DTX-PS07B/dp/B006L6ZHAU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1T61FW2TI3Z1B&coliid=I2SG7TOSPF2KKE
Power Supply Silverstone ST40F-ES $49.99 http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Strider-Active-Supply-ST40F-ES/dp/B0034XRDUK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1T61FW2TI3Z1B&coliid=I1USZJJETTL6Q9
Motherboard AS Rock PRO4-M $89.99http://www.amazon.com/PRO4-M-LGA1155-H77-CrossFireX-Motherboard/dp/B007RQ0MDA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1T61FW2TI3Z1B&coliid=I23SB9C03O8XWO
CPU Intel Core i3-3225 $133.79 http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i3-3225-Dual-Core-Processor-Cache/dp/B0093H8H8I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1T61FW2TI3Z1B&coliid=INZQV5JHQF3G3
RAM Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Core i3, i5, i7 and Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 $59.98 http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-240-Pin-Platforms-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9/dp/B004CRSM4I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1T61FW2TI3Z1B&coliid=ITY8IAVRZ22D3
Hard drive WD Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive $154.92 http://www.amazon.com/WD-Red-NAS-Hard-Drive/dp/B008JJLW4M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366986068&sr=1-1&keywords=wd+red

I think I want a SSD for the OS, but I'm undecided. I believe I want Windows Server 2012 Essentials.
As I move my data off of the old server I think I can empty a drive and move it to the new server.
Any opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Server build
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:32 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I don't know what issue you have with the ex490.
But it probably can be resolved cheaply.
If you contemplate using the existing drives I can only assume the drives are good.
And then add a external post multiplier to use extra drives as backups or expansions.
And still be ahead.
But if you have money to burn.
Assuming you researched that all the parts work together.

Quick look at the PSU says it only has Four serial ATA connectors.
So if you want to fill the case,You probably need to increase the PSU size to get the possible six drives the case can hold.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:56 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

The short story is I lost a drive or external cage, the wife saw all the errors. She realized that all the kids pictures are on that thing and decided she didn't trust it anymore. WHS v1 is based on a 10 year old operating system and I've had some of that hardware for 4 or 5 years.

I saw the sata power cable issue when planning and I was going to use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Tek-Extension-Connectors-PP07-BTSR/dp/B00B46XL28/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1367005887&sr=1-3&keywords=silverstone+4+pin+sata
It has 3 4 pin connectors and as far as I can tell I only need two of them.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:10 pm 

Hey you got the wife on board to upgrade the server solution I would not argue either. Thing is that drives develop issues and then fail causing issues with any OS 10 yrs old or just released. Doesn't matter. Keeping a close eye on the health of your hard drives is very important and having a zero tolerance for drive issues is the key to keeping a server functioning for the long term.

Having all your files on the server and only on the server is never a good idea because as you discovered when the server has an issue the concern about the files becomes very clear. Servers do provide file redundancy to protect them but you need to back those files up in addition to have them on the server. Not everything needs to be backed up just the most important things you can not afford to lose and then you can store the backups in a safe place.

Protecting the server with a good UPS or Battery Backup will pay for itself in big dividends as it will keep the power going to the server in an acceptable voltage range. It will also help prevent file corruption that often occurs during a power failure when drives are being written to. With a properly configured UPS set to shut the server down after a short period of time after power is lost and not restored will shut the server down in a controlled manor thus protecting the hard drives from potential file corruption. This will save you hours of work so put a value on your time and your data and you will see the benefit of having a UPS protecting your server.

Good Luck with your new build and its really nice your wife is on board with a new server.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:15 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Quote:
Having all your files on the server and only on the server is never a good idea because as you discovered when the server has an issue the concern about the files becomes very clear. Servers do provide file redundancy to protect them but you need to back those files up in addition to have them on the server. Not everything needs to be backed up just the most important things you can not afford to lose and then you can store the backups in a safe place.

Protecting the server with a good UPS or Battery Backup will pay for itself in big dividends as it will keep the power going to the server in an acceptable voltage range. It will also help prevent file corruption that often occurs during a power failure when drives are being written to. With a properly configured UPS set to shut the server down after a short period of time after power is lost and not restored will shut the server down in a controlled manor thus protecting the hard drives from potential file corruption. This will save you hours of work so put a value on your time and your data and you will see the benefit of having a UPS protecting your server.

These are valid points, I do have an UPS and I make DVD backups of the pictures from time to time. Probably not as often as I should but some is better than none. The big issue that got my wife nervous is she is in the middle of a photo project and doesn't want to deal with instability. I was going to purchase a new gun safe, however the server issues started and we both agree that maybe a new server would be better in the short term.

I was really looking for some feedback on the hardware. Mr. Rueben Rocha made a valid point but I think I have it covered. I'm not sure how many connectors the case will use since it has two fans. I'm thinking one for the CPU fan and one for the case. If not they make 4 pin expansion cables too. I do believe 400 watts is sufficient, I don't see any modular power supplies in that price range.

I know I would prefer to build this server as a nas, load freenas, load VMware's esxi on another box and virtualize the whole thing but I think that is over the top for my requirements.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:53 pm 

Here are a couple 400w Modular PSU's and since they exist I am sure others do so. I am not making a recommendation for those PSU's just showing they exist. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... ly&x=0&y=0

You will need to figure out how much storage capacity you need today and down the road but this is common sense so once you know this then you can chose an enclosure. If your needs are small then you will not need a large system. If your looking at FreeNAS then you might want to frequent the sites for those who use FreeNAS to see what they are using, what difficulties you might encounter in a build and where to get the best drivers for the hardware you purchase.

While I imagine there are some forum members here who do use FreeNAS I am not certain you will find all the information specific to building a FreeNAS system here.

Good Luck with your project and hope everything works out for you.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:08 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

All I meant by the power supply.
Is for example if you use the same wd red drive you are like at 26 watts for the potential 6 drives.
So you think I am fine with 40 watts for the rest of the devices.
But if you only have say 4 power cables for the sata drives from the psu.
You could buy splitter cables like you thought of.
But it may come at a price.
All power supplies have some type of power limit per cable.
Being either a pico fuse at a certain amps or a dropping resister rated at a certain watts.
so if you use one cable rated for say 5 watts and you use a cheater cable and connect say 6 watts of drives.
Then you may and I say may be in for some issues with power quality to the drives when you load it up all the way.

Of course it is hard for users like us to find that info. So it becomes easier to just buy a larger power supply which normally comes with more cables and a higher price.
You probably are fine with what you selected for now but as you add more to the case and start to hit limits you may find some problems . And you should remember this little tidbit.
And you can always buy a bigger power supply when needed.

But for sure as Comp1962 stated. Put in the budget a good ups and for manual backup drives.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks