It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: EX495 TwonkyMedia
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:16 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have a Panasonic TC-P65VT50 in which I am trying to stream DTS MKV's from my EX495's built in TwonkyMedia and the DTS audio is not support. My thoughts were that the TV is not supporting it. Panasonic said it was the DNLA that is not supporting it.

So my question is what version of TwonkyMedia do I have on my fully updated EX495 and can it be upgraded so I can play DTS MKV's on my TC-P65VT50? If so how do I upgrade it?

Is there another DNLA server that I can install on my EX495 with WHS v1 that will play DTS MKV's with out transcoding?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: EX495 TwonkyMedia
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:45 am 

Personally I have never been a big fan of Twonky and I know another person who was not involved with servers but did have experience with Twonky did not have anything favorable to say about it. HP included it with all their MSS Models and if you read through the forums you can get a good overview as to what others have to say about it.

First thing I need to point out is that for me I do not need nor do I require any DLNA Software running on my servers and since you asked about an alternative solution the one thing that comes to mind is Serviio which those who have tried it liked it much better than Twonky. I did test the first version out and its very feature rich and had more options then I care to mention. Of course as time moves on there are updates and back in 2011 Alex did a write up on revision which may be of interest to you so check it out. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/06 ... -released/

If you want Twonky support or desire to upgrade your version which may require you to purchase it then you need to go to the manufactures website. http://twonky.com/

I do believe that Twonky on your EX495 it required if you want to run the other media functions built into your server but I could be wrong so you need to check that out if you decide you want to remove or disable it. If its not causing any other issue then leave it be and I do not believe it will interfere with Serviio if you opt to install it.

Good Luck and hope you get your issue resolved.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:12 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
Personally I have never been a big fan of Twonky and I know another person who was not involved with servers but did have experience with Twonky did not have anything favorable to say about it. HP included it with all their MSS Models and if you read through the forums you can get a good overview as to what others have to say about it.

First thing I need to point out is that for me I do not need nor do I require any DLNA Software running on my servers and since you asked about an alternative solution the one thing that comes to mind is Serviio which those who have tried it liked it much better than Twonky. I did test the first version out and its very feature rich and had more options then I care to mention. Of course as time moves on there are updates and back in 2011 Alex did a write up on revision which may be of interest to you so check it out. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/06 ... -released/

If you want Twonky support or desire to upgrade your version which may require you to purchase it then you need to go to the manufactures website. http://twonky.com/

I do believe that Twonky on your EX495 it required if you want to run the other media functions built into your server but I could be wrong so you need to check that out if you decide you want to remove or disable it. If its not causing any other issue then leave it be and I do not believe it will interfere with Serviio if you opt to install it.

Good Luck and hope you get your issue resolved.

I will try Serviio, my question still is for Panasonic Viera Plasmas, do they support DTS audio in MKV container without trans-coding to AC3? I am looking for a media server that can push the real DTS audio through with out trans-coding.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:33 pm 

That I can not answer but if you look at the various media extenders on the market I am certain you can find what your looking for but its another device to add to your TV which may or may not be acceptable to you. I use media extenders to stream my movies to my TV's which have no DLNA capabilities.

I am different then most in that if it plays and I can hear sound then I am happy. I do have surround equipment systems but I hardly ever use them. Sometimes I just kick back in the big office chair with my feet up and watch movies from my computer which has a 24" 1080P Display with a 5 speaker speaker bar. I did connect a 46" Screen to my computer because I thought it would be cool but it hurt my neck and I was done with that after an hour.

Anyway I like to keep things simple at my age its only a matter of time before I start forgetting what I was doing the last 5 mins never mind the day before.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:37 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
That I can not answer but if you look at the various media extenders on the market I am certain you can find what your looking for but its another device to add to your TV which may or may not be acceptable to you. I use media extenders to stream my movies to my TV's which have no DLNA capabilities.

I am different then most in that if it plays and I can hear sound then I am happy. I do have surround equipment systems but I hardly ever use them. Sometimes I just kick back in the big office chair with my feet up and watch movies from my computer which has a 24" 1080P Display with a 5 speaker speaker bar. I did connect a 46" Screen to my computer because I thought it would be cool but it hurt my neck and I was done with that after an hour.

Anyway I like to keep things simple at my age its only a matter of time before I start forgetting what I was doing the last 5 mins never mind the day before.

I have a HTPC that will play everything. I was hoping to just be able to play all the kids movies that I have in MKV-DTS through the Panasonic DNLA without having to fire up the HTPC.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:29 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I am just trying serviio for a PS3.
I found they do have a plugn for the console . But it will install a old version of servio.
You would the need to rdp to the server and run a update to get the current version.
As far as trans coding serviio calls them profiles and there are three panasonic default versions but I don't have one to try.
From what I can tell the profile determines what the renderer can play and trans codes or not based on what that device can play.
I have not researched it more but the profiles can be added or modified via a text editor.
Plus it is free.
I tried a paid version of twonky and was displeased using it on my ex490.
Due to the twonky version with whsv1 would hang on several video files that I refused to delete.
They also don't appear to provide a trial version anymore.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:58 pm 

Here is a link to a multi part video guide on how to fix that issue with Twonky hanging up on certain files and how to correct the issue. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/03 ... 0-patch-2/

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:09 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Thank you for the tip.
But,
Well I have used all the tips on all those guides before.
If you listen closely you will hear a mention of a bug that was never fixed.
In fact I went so far as purchasing a new stand alone version of twonky for my ex490.
The suggestion is to remove the problem files from the shares. Which I did at first.
Even though that is not acceptable,Since it meant moving like 50 of my 800 movies out of any place to play them.
But after burning new copies of my problem movies several times with no success.
And after purchasing a new stand alone version of twonky.
I finally gave up and disabled twonky completely.
I now run a popcorn hour c-200 and dune player b1, WITH NO ISSUES PERFECTLY. On the same problem files I had with Twonky.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:24 pm 

I understood but was uncertain if you saw or tried what Alex Wrote about so I provided it just to be sure. I am aware that Twonky for some unknown reason doesn't like certain files and that too is mentioned in his write up.

Now I have recommended to others in the past to give Serviio a try and those that did like it very much. As for the media functions built into the HP MSS in v2.5 and 3.0 I was never a big fan of those but many do like the Media Collector and Converter functions. For me those functions are best done on a client and then moved to the server. For me this takes the work load off the server and allows it to do other things. I happen to run more powerful servers than any of the HP MSS line of servers and while they could comfortably handle the automated ripping of DVD's I still chose to do it on a client. Here I am just sharing my opinion on my preferences even though many will disagree and that's perfectly fine.

As I have already mentioned I did try the first version of Serviio and it ran fine on my end and I found it to be feature rich having more options than anyone could ask for. I do not require Serviio for my setup to stream content to my TVs because I use very simple WD Devices to handle that task and I also use my desktop. For your DLNA needs the only thing I can think of is to give Serviio a try and if you do not require the Media Functions in your EX495 then disable them and make an RDP Connection to your server and disable the Twonky Media Service to prevent it from running when you reboot your server.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:21 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I agree.
The only reason I am experimenting with Serviio is for a PS3 that I have been using the ps3 media server.
Just looking to see if there is any benefit.
I think the problem with Twonky is it started after the last update we got for the ex4XX series. Then everything fell apart and we ever got another update to fix it.
Twonky did work fine for me before the last update.
That is why I purchased a stand alone product from them, But it did not fix the issue.
So I moved on.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:14 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Well, I just uninstalled the Twonky Media Server from add/remove programs after disabling it in the WHS console. I also disable Windows Media Connect, so now the only one that shows up is Serviio. By the way, The WHS Serviio plug-in does not work with the latest version of Serviio. It does work with version 1.01 but that one lacks some new features, so i went with Serviio 1.2.1 no add-in.

I guess the best way to play files is still HTPC if you want DTS lossless or DTS-HD any other higher format. I use CCCP codecs. :|

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:53 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

well you could have just changed the Twonky service to manual.
Or disabled all the default folders from using it.
But just remember that if you ever perform a recovery or reset on the server.
Twonky will be installed again and be functional.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:59 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Update on serviio and a ps3.

Not much luck here.
Serviio hoses up the playback using the documentary audio tracks and subtitles.
I could not find a way to disable them even with the options.
If I had more time to play with the profiles possibly I could fix it.
For just a raw dlna to a tv it works okay I guess.

So for my ps3 back to ps3 media server.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:03 pm 
.5TB storage