It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:36 am 

It was just the perfect storm of all things that could go wrong at once (Switch goes bad during install, bad Cat cable, driver hacks, bad files, etc.... lol).

I think I am going to end up getting rid of or throwing out Shawshank. It is just way too big of a case to have lying around. If you remember I did that smaller Lian Li build a while back. Well, that case has just been sitting in a closet. I am thinking about moving some of the extra drives I will have left over once I migrate to 2012E from Shawshank to this case and using it as a secondary backup running WHS 2011. This way I can just tuck this case away and have a secondary backup for my critical files

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:49 am 

I bought that same Lian Li enclosure your talking about after reading your write up on using it in a build. After I was happy with my WHS2011 Server I downsized my WHSv1 server and moved it to that enclosure and its been sitting there ever since happily running what was left of my WHSv1 server with a very huge power savings benefit too.

I remember when you built Shawshank which by the way was a very nice build. Not sure how long your kids played in the box it came in or how many times they may have gotten lost in it but it was big for sure. You have come along way since your EX470 that's for sure.

Once you get this new serer 100% and try out the VPN feature you will fall in love with it even more. It automatically setup my Win8 Notebook Client which was an added bennifit. I am like a kid in a candy store and I was show it off to my molding room manager the first day it was running. I have not yet configured my Desktop for WS2012E because I want to wait till I have a production unit running and while I am tempted to do it now I need to follow my budget and do it in June/July which is when I do all my big builds. I do like your new Lian Li Enclosure and keep debating if I should get one or if I should install WS2012E in the Norco 4220 enclosure which is running Highlander but the draw back for me is that Stablebit Drive Pool is in beta and I do not feel comfortable with entrusting my data to beta software. One opps and its a major project and my time is worth more then if I just buy all new hardware. So I still have some serious thinking to do and its not a bad idea to build the WS2012E Server and copy the data to it and keep everything on WHS2011 until Stablebit Drive Pool v2 came out of Beta but to save the money on the hardware.

What I would be most interested in is how cool your drives stay in the Lian Li enclosure vs the noise level. As you may know the Norco Enclosure is loud but not as loud as the ProLiant when its fans ramp up. I like the fact it keeps my hard drives in the low to mid 20's and when they get active they may get as high as like 32c or somewhere close to that and for that reason I could tolerate the fan noice. When people first come here to visit and see Highlander and hear the noise they always say WTF is that noise and what is that thing.

Servers are addictive and are so beneficial to have I just wish Microsoft did a better marketing job promoting them to the home user.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:22 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
I bought that same Lian Li enclosure your talking about after reading your write up on using it in a build. After I was happy with my WHS2011 Server I downsized my WHSv1 server and moved it to that enclosure and its been sitting there ever since happily running what was left of my WHSv1 server with a very huge power savings benefit too.

I remember when you built Shawshank which by the way was a very nice build. Not sure how long your kids played in the box it came in or how many times they may have gotten lost in it but it was big for sure. You have come along way since your EX470 that's for sure.

Once you get this new serer 100% and try out the VPN feature you will fall in love with it even more. It automatically setup my Win8 Notebook Client which was an added bennifit. I am like a kid in a candy store and I was show it off to my molding room manager the first day it was running. I have not yet configured my Desktop for WS2012E because I want to wait till I have a production unit running and while I am tempted to do it now I need to follow my budget and do it in June/July which is when I do all my big builds. I do like your new Lian Li Enclosure and keep debating if I should get one or if I should install WS2012E in the Norco 4220 enclosure which is running Highlander but the draw back for me is that Stablebit Drive Pool is in beta and I do not feel comfortable with entrusting my data to beta software. One opps and its a major project and my time is worth more then if I just buy all new hardware. So I still have some serious thinking to do and its not a bad idea to build the WS2012E Server and copy the data to it and keep everything on WHS2011 until Stablebit Drive Pool v2 came out of Beta but to save the money on the hardware.

What I would be most interested in is how cool your drives stay in the Lian Li enclosure vs the noise level. As you may know the Norco Enclosure is loud but not as loud as the ProLiant when its fans ramp up. I like the fact it keeps my hard drives in the low to mid 20's and when they get active they may get as high as like 32c or somewhere close to that and for that reason I could tolerate the fan noice. When people first come here to visit and see Highlander and hear the noise they always say WTF is that noise and what is that thing.

Servers are addictive and are so beneficial to have I just wish Microsoft did a better marketing job promoting them to the home user.

The original Norco fans are insane, I use the fan mod to replace the 5 80mm fans with the 120mm fans
and put a digital temp controller on them I never hear it at all above a hum.
And the DL G5 series and lower are howlers which is why I went with a G6 nice and quiet up to about 90 then they get loud but if your office hits 90 your running a loud air conditioner anyway.
It's interesting to hear that jet sound coming from the next room then I go crack the window and it slips back to a gentle hummmm ah the lullaby of electronic nirvana.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:56 am 

I actually do not hear the noise as much because I just got use to it and when I am in the other room watching TV if the thing were to shut down I would not notice. The ambient air temp here is 75f or below although I am being cheap at the moment trying to hold off turning the central AC on but its getting a bit too warm.

The ProLiant on the other hand when its little fans ramp up scream so loud I worry about my neighbors complaining. I remember the first time I turned it on the fans spin up at full speed and the first thing that entered my mind was do I really want to run this then then they of course quieted down but still were loud. I can always hear the ProLiant when the fans ramp up and typically it like the ambient air to be 75f or below.

These days I live alone so I do not have to listen to another person complaining about noise for my toys and unlike a significant other my toys have reset buttons something the Good Lord never installed in a significant other. My dogs are quiet but I got this bird that when she gets going she drowns out the servers so it may be time to open the cage and point her to Florida.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:53 am 

Comp1962 wrote:

Ya know, I think the shawshank box was actually smaller then the Lian Li box for this new case I am using. If I didn't put the box away right away my boys would have been playing in it as well lol.

I am trying to figure out how many fans I will get for the case. The case itself comes with zero fans but has the ability to hold something like 10+ fans lol. I actually have two of these 120mm PWM fans installed, which I had gotten for Shawshank but the stupid case wouldn't let me replace two of the original fans (every time I did the case alarm would go off):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835426015

The key for me is to have enough fans to keep everything cool but not to the point where it sounds like my office is smack middle in an airport!

I also need to pick up another RAID card. I like the RocketRAID one I got for the case which holds 8 drives, so I will probably pick up another one. They have 16 and 24 port cards but then the price gets real expensive so it is probably not worth it. One area I think I goofed with the mobo, I chose the one I got because it had 10 SATA connectors (6 SATA III and 4 SATA II), so I figured I could leverage those. What I forgot to read further in to is that the mobo SATA controller does not support JBOD, so they serve very little use to me

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:20 am 

That's a bummer about the SATA Ports but are you 100% sure about that. I have seen motherboards where a group of SATA Ports were for RAID but there were other ports which you could run individual drives. Still its a bummer. The motherboard in Highlander has I believe its 8 SATA Ports but I am only using 3 of them. All my drives are connected to 3 MV8's. All told I have 23 hard drives and an optical drive connected and in theory I can connect 8 more drive but maybe I will mount another on the side wall of the Norco enclosure which I recently done on one wall.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:46 am 

Comp1962 wrote:
That's a bummer about the SATA Ports but are you 100% sure about that. I have seen motherboards where a group of SATA Ports were for RAID but there were other ports which you could run individual drives. Still its a bummer. The motherboard in Highlander has I believe its 8 SATA Ports but I am only using 3 of them. All my drives are connected to 3 MV8's. All told I have 23 hard drives and an optical drive connected and in theory I can connect 8 more drive but maybe I will mount another on the side wall of the Norco enclosure which I recently done on one wall.

The way the mobo is broken out there are 2 SATAIII ports and 6 SATAII ports all run but the chipset. Then thereis a separate 4 SATAIII ports run by a Marvell controller. After installing the driver for the Marvell controller I connected 2 drives and could only see one drive. I went into the BIOS to set up and the only options are AHCI (which is set by default), RAID 0 and RAID 1. So worse case I can still use one of those ports as a single drive for my JBOD pool.

I just ordered another Highpoint RAID card. That will give me 16 drive connections which should be more than enough if all goes well to migrate Shawshank over (especially since I am starting with 3 and 4TB hard drives vs. the 1.5 and 2TB drives). In Shawshank I do have 2 of the MV8 cards in there, so I could always throw those into the new server (Redemption) if/when I need to expand

Thinking about picking up 1 or 2 of these fans to test out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835608038

Basically on the outside wall along where you mount the hard drives you can mount along 3 case fans, so I will probably try there to help with drive temps

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:12 pm 

Which controller cards models are you using and the one you ordered and if you do use the MV8. I am interested in knowing how everything works out for you.

I looked at that fan you purchased and did not see a CFM Rating so it will be interesting to see how it works out for you. I mean I could order a new FAN board for my Norco enclosure and try them out but I will wait to see how they work out for you to help me determine their suitability.

I assume your monitoring your CPU Core Temps and am curious if you have decided to stick with the current cooler or will opt to go water cooling down the road? My desktop has an 8 Core AMD FX 8120 and while I am not really fully utilizing it or pushing it I was very concerned about the temps but the stock cooler in this case has been working out quite well but the enclosure I used allows very good ventilation. I chose this FX processor not so much for todays needs but to allow for long term growth so I may use the same or similar process either in Highlander or a new build which maybe over kill but as I push the limits of media streaming its my hope the extra cores may come in handy down the road.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:53 pm 

Comp1962 wrote:
Which controller cards models are you using and the one you ordered and if you do use the MV8. I am interested in knowing how everything works out for you.

I looked at that fan you purchased and did not see a CFM Rating so it will be interesting to see how it works out for you. I mean I could order a new FAN board for my Norco enclosure and try them out but I will wait to see how they work out for you to help me determine their suitability.

I assume your monitoring your CPU Core Temps and am curious if you have decided to stick with the current cooler or will opt to go water cooling down the road? My desktop has an 8 Core AMD FX 8120 and while I am not really fully utilizing it or pushing it I was very concerned about the temps but the stock cooler in this case has been working out quite well but the enclosure I used allows very good ventilation. I chose this FX processor not so much for todays needs but to allow for long term growth so I may use the same or similar process either in Highlander or a new build which maybe over kill but as I push the limits of media streaming its my hope the extra cores may come in handy down the road.

In Shawshank I have a SAT2-MV8 card and SAT2-SASLP card. For redemption I got the ROcketRaid 2720

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6816115100

One of the reasons I went with this is I remember the Supermicro cards being a real PITA getting the right drivers, updating the bios, etc... The RocketRaid card actually has a GUI that you use and can do everything from there (all setting, update BIOS, etc...),

As of now I am just going with the stock cooler on my CPU. I am hoping that is enough because for the most part I shouldn't really be stressing out the CPU, only occasionally would be be doing transcoding or something else CPU intensive

The second RocketRAID should arrive tomorrow as well as the additional SAS/SATA cables, so i should be able to really start getting things up and running :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:24 pm 

I will keep that card in mind and also see how it works out for you as you complete your build.

I had 1 MV8 Fail on me and Newegg replaced it quickly. I have 3 of them running in Highlander and did not have any driver issues but I did request the updated drives from Supermicro and they provided me links for them. I forget why I requested them but it may have been for performance improvements. Many have had difficulties getting 3 to work and had to change the settings in each card but for me I lucked out and all 3 just worked but when booting I can only see 2 of the cards initialize but if its working leave it alone. I have 2 of them plugged into X4 slots and the 3rd in an X8 Slot.

If I build a new server which I am leaning towards I am going to have to start looking for a motherboard and tie it in with the drive controller cards but this will all evolve around the damn enclosure I chose and damn it that the hardest part of my builds picking out an enclosure but it may be another Norco Enclosure and while I do not see the need for a large drive compliment who am I fooling I once thought 4 bays in the MSS would be all that I ever needed. On the other hand I am still thinking of repurposing Highlander for WS2012E since it would be a significant cost savings. While I like WHS2011 I am loving WS2012E more so its something I really need to come to terms with and the fact that Stablebit Drive Pool v2 is in beta means I may build a new server and just have my data on 2 servers until Stablebit Drive Pool v2 is out of beta.

Oh the pain of the wallet but its in the budget but the Scotch and French in me has the cheap never twitching.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:42 am 

Interesting. I decided to start copying some of my movies over to Redemption this morning, remoted in from work to set up, no issues. My wife just called me that the server was making some sort of beeping noise which I could hear in the background on the phone. I remote back in to the server and I see that all my drives on my RAID card are no longer showing up. Just rebooted and the sound went away. It almost sounded as if some alarm was triggered by I am assuming WS2012E and not the mobo, but who knows. I will have to look at closer when I get home from work tonight

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:53 am 

That's a bummer. Hate to see your Advil bill this month. Good Luck

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:00 am 

Comp1962 wrote:

Well, rebooted and now everything is fine. Copying more stuff over and nothing has freaked out ... yet ...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:10 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

If one of your drives barks for any reason it seems 2012 will dismount it.
Just my observation, as for raid controllers I chose to use a standard pair of HP 410's with 512mb cache pushing two HP sas expanders each can handle 24 drives and as long as you update the firmware 6gb transfers.
The HP's allow for very fast bios times where my Areca's took forever.
Also anyone using a HP server should configure the built in iLo and update the firmware from that interface you get really good temp monitoring of too many zones to count and performance stuff and be able to reboot it remotely.
You only need the paid license if you want to be able to remotely control the desktop.
Pretty nice being able to make bios settings changes remotely.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:41 pm 

dbone1026 wrote:
Comp1962 wrote:

Well, rebooted and now everything is fine. Copying more stuff over and nothing has freaked out ... yet ...

Good to hear but I would be looking to find out what that Audible Sound was about. I installed the ADD-IN Health Report so the server can inform me of issues. Not sure if it would of sent you a message about the Audible Alarm but certainly it would of informed you of the drives dropping out or as Chasrobin the server may have uncounted the drives which is something I really need to read up on.

Last night I purchased the eBook "Using Windows Server 2012 Essentials" from We Got Served to compliment the other 2 books I have for Windows Server 2012 to help me acquire a better understanding of WS2012E.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next