It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:01 pm 

Hi all,

New member. Due to installing ESET NOD32 A/V product and now unable to UN-install it (because their uninstaller error's-out and their stand-alone uninstaller requires boot into SAFE MODE). As you all know, using MSCONFIG to boot into SAFE MODE w/Networking on a headless server can be a blunder without recourse. So, I need one of these to be able to uninstall their product.

I find that the Debug board is a bit pricy esp in my case where I only need it for a one-time use. So I am canvassing this board to see if someone has a used (functioning) one for sale or perhaps even borrow.

many thanks,
srodadmin

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:58 pm 

For those who might want one of these "debug boards" but don't want to shell-out more than they need to. I located a "How to" with parts list to build your own VGA cable. http://www.happybison.com/reviews/insta ... re-h340-6/

After checking with a gentleman on LinkedIn who posts quite a few things WHS, he e-mailed me a seller on ebay (Denmark) who produces various VGA cables. This is the one I purchased: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-ADAPTER-HP- ... 1e65060f71 -More resonable and just what I needed as I am booting into SAFE mode in order to remove the Avast A/V product, I don't need PS/2 or serial ports.

Anyway, I am planning on installing the WHSClamAV product which has integration with the WHS Console. Anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:09 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hi srodadmin and welcome to MediaSmartServer.net!

You might not like my answer, but I'll give it anyway. :) Buy the debug board. Trust me on this. Buy the debug board.

OK now the justification. I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago when I bought my first debug board. I remember thinking, "Gee golly, it's 80 bucks. That's a lot of money. I don't really need it. It'll be just this one time."

I finally broke down and bit the bullet, and let me tell you...the time savings alone from that "one time" was worth the $80, and it's proven quite handy time and time again. When I added an EX487 alongside my EX490, I added a second debug board. They're permanent fixtures on both of my servers now.

They make being able to boot from different devices, tweak the BIOS, work at the console, etc. so much easier. Since I have a four-device KVM switch, I have four different computers sharing the same keyboard, monitor and mouse.

Like I said, $80 might seem like a lot of money. But it's $80 very well spent.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:13 pm 

I second that. I have purchased 2 DEBUG Boards and have never regretted doing so. Once you have one installed it opens up a whole new world of troubleshoot capabilities, eliminates the need for blind installs and should you ever want to install a different OS it makes the task easier.

I also use KVM Switches to share a single Keyboard, Monitor and Mouse with multiple devices. I have been using those like forever. For me the KVM Switches pay for themselves by not having to have a keyboard, mouse and monitor on every unit in the house or in my case its servers.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:36 pm 

Thanks fellas,

I appreciate the feed-back. I finally got around to dealing with my issue today (after a week or so of having my CN9 VGA cable delivered - for $25 bucks)

I've got the HP Datavault x510. Using this guide http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/09/16/a-closer-look-at-the-ex490-and-ex495-hardware/I took it apart and installed the cable. Had to route it up the rear next to the backplane and thru the top. Being careful when re-installing the back-plane so that the VGA cable didn't get in the way. The instructions also say to jumper the keyboard/mouse pins next to the connector. Boot the server using the VGA and a USB keyboard and mouse (which I currently use on a 2-port KVM between my Windows Desktop machine and my Ubuntu Linux box).

For my situation, this was fine because I wasn't trying to get into the BIOS where I believe the unit might only respond to PS/2 keyboard. Also, because during POST, it didn't seem to respond to the <F8> to choose SAFE MODE, I used MSCONFIG to reboot into SAFE MODE and then run the ESET NOD32 uninstaller (which did work). I then had to run MSCONFIG again to choose Normal Mode after that. So, in the end I tucked the VGA connector down a bit in the backplane area so I could re-install the top to the server, so all I have to do is remove the top now if I need a hard console. I then installed the WHSClamAV product because it is integrated with the WHS Console. The install and update/scan features are pretty slick overall. So I am pleased with myself and the server - at the moment.

Thanks