It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:12 am 

A few years ago I put together a quick post about using SABNZBD + Sickbeard, which is meant to automate the process of downloading TV show episodes as they post. One of the requirements to this is having a search provider available, with probably the most popular one being NZBMatrix. Now obviously this whole topic gets into a bit of a grey area, but I thought it would be worth mentioning that a few days ago NZBMatrix went offline. Here is the message from their site:

Quote:
The End...

It is with our regret to announce that NZBMATRIX has closed.

We have had to make this decision due to a very large takedown request from a company called Wiggin LLC. These represent the following: Federation Against Copyright Theft Limited ("FACT"), Paramount Home Entertainment International Limited; Sony Pictures Home Entertainment Limited; The Walt Disney Company Limited; Twentieth Century Fox Film Company Limited; Universal Pictures (UK) Limited; Warner Bros. Entertainment UK Limited.

As everyone is aware we are DMCA/Takedown notice compliant, and always have been.
Once this notice is completed we are left with an impossible task of policing our indexing bots. Even then it won't stop there, there will be follow-up notices etc.

Coupled with this is problems with payment providers, we have been through pretty much everyone out there, in the end they all pull out.
There are massive server/bandwidth costs to pay, with the payments in-stability this is a very hard task.

NZBMATRIX has never been the subject of any legal issues or threats.

Also the Usenet Indexing scene is going through some changes, with content being removed from pretty much every provider its making the existence of an indexer irrelevant if the content does not even exists anymore.

So it's time for us to bow out...

I have been reading around various forums and it looks like many NZBMatrix users are looking for alternatives. From what they have said, many of the public index sites are down, leaving only the private sites available. With the private sites you need an invite to join, you can't just register directly. It looks like Nzb.su and Dognzb appear to be the 2 main private sites being discussed.

I understand this is a bit of a grey area, but it would be interesting to hear from anyone here who has been using any of these providers, if they were affected by the NZBMatrix takedown, etc...

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:06 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Damian,
Looks like there is a program called Newznab, which is an open source indexer. There is a thread on sickbeard's forums that is a howto of running it yourself. Ultimately this seems like the way to go, running your own indexer. Almost all of the new "private" indexers are running the Newznab software, I'm keeping a close eye on it and will attempt to setup my own Newznab indexer in the near future.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:17 am 

raggededge wrote:
Damian,
Looks like there is a program called Newznab, which is an open source indexer. There is a thread on sickbeard's forums that is a howto of running it yourself. Ultimately this seems like the way to go, running your own indexer. Almost all of the new "private" indexers are running the Newznab software, I'm keeping a close eye on it and will attempt to setup my own Newznab indexer in the near future.

Yes, I actually got invites sent from a few people for a few of the Newznab indexes created. Seems like it is a PITA to run/set up, but I can see the appeal if you can get up and running for yourself

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:57 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

What about using CouchPotato Server (newest verion of CouchPotato)? I've been looking into setting all this up so the terms are still a bit foreign to me but I think it'll do what you need and it can feed what it finds into SABnzbd.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:08 pm 

TxDot wrote:
What about using CouchPotato Server (newest verion of CouchPotato)? I've been looking into setting all this up so the terms are still a bit foreign to me but I think it'll do what you need and it can feed what it finds into SABnzbd.

I assume Couch Potato is similar in fashion to Sickbeard (i.e it searches for your requested files). The issue is that you need to provider providers (Indexers) for these programs to look at for content. This is what NZBMatrix was (so without providers/indexers those programs are basically useless).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:14 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Like I said, this is still new to me but I'm learning. :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:23 pm 

TxDot wrote:
Like I said, this is still new to me but I'm learning. :D

Lol, no problem. There are some free index/search engines out there but not many (and the searched are pretty rough).Feel free to ask any questions, I have been messing around with a few setups and can help where possible

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:49 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

The biggest loss when index sites like NZBMatrix went down were their communities. The comments were really helpful when choosing which files were the best quality etc. Now, you have to guess and you will end up downloading some junk. But, as aways, the scene will evolve and most likely get better, but it will take a bit for everything to settle down. Most likely Newznab will get much better over time and running your own indexer will be the way to go.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:21 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I miss Nzbmatrix as well, but I've found that newztown.co.za and nzbclub.com are very good alternatives.

Thanks