It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:47 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

pmcd wrote:
akgem wrote:
Just install them one at a time and reboot the server a few times after each upgrade to let it install the driver, adjust the BIOS if necessary, etc. Start with the RAM upgrade, since it's probably the easiest and less intrusive. Maybe even let the server run for a day or two after the upgrade to see how it performs. Then move on to the CPU upgrade.

When can you put all the hard drives back in or do you lose the data? I only have a cpu upgrade to do to the 5200, which should make it similar to an EX495.

philip

You should not lose any data with either RAM or CPU upgrade. You can put the hard drives back right after each upgrade is done.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:37 pm 

chrishet wrote:
also, I was thinking about 8GB ram but that looks pretty pricey these days...will 2011 be ok running on 4gig?

Is the e5200 fast enough to stream/handle 10-20gb 3D media files? I stream 3D files from my ps3 to my samsung plasma and the stock ex495 processor just chugs away and the movies are choppy at best.

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:11 pm 

chrishet wrote:
pmcd wrote:
eBay has quite few used 5200's.

Philip

Thx Phillip. I went into the old closet and found an ASUS P5 MB with an Core 2 Duo 6400 processor...its a socket 775...would this processor work in the EX490?

It took a while for me to get around to performing my EX490 upgrade but a few weeks ago the unit crashed on me again...its like the third time that I had to do a complete rebuild....so I thought I give the upgrade a try. I followed a youtube video on getting to the 490's backplane - simple! and I installed my 6400 CPU - no problemo, and I upgraded the ram to 4GB - piece of cake...then put it all back together. I took the opportunity to add a few new drives, 3 2TB drives, one open slot for later. Installing the new WHS 2011 was a bit of a challenge because I needed to create a boot USB stick with the ISO image of the WHS CD on it, but once I learned how to do that it worked like a champ. The first thing I added was DriveBender, since Drive Extender was missing. So far she is running fast and cool, although my data transfers are pretty slow - not sure why but that is for another day. I installed CPUID and monitor the CPU temps and it has only gotten above 60c a few times, mainly when I was doing my first backups, most of the time it runs below 50c. Kudo's to the list for the inspiration.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:02 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

chrishet wrote:

It took a while for me to get around to performing my EX490 upgrade but a few weeks ago the unit crashed on me again...its like the third time that I had to do a complete rebuild....so I thought I give the upgrade a try. I followed a youtube video on getting to the 490's backplane - simple! and I installed my 6400 CPU - no problemo, and I upgraded the ram to 4GB - piece of cake...then put it all back together. I took the opportunity to add a few new drives, 3 2TB drives, one open slot for later. Installing the new WHS 2011 was a bit of a challenge because I needed to create a boot USB stick with the ISO image of the WHS CD on it, but once I learned how to do that it worked like a champ. The first thing I added was DriveBender, since Drive Extender was missing. So far she is running fast and cool, although my data transfers are pretty slow - not sure why but that is for another day. I installed CPUID and monitor the CPU temps and it has only gotten above 60c a few times, mainly when I was doing my first backups, most of the time it runs below 50c. Kudo's to the list for the inspiration.

Sounds great. I still haven't gotten around to it. I have the E5200 and the Arctic Silver and WHS 2011. Did you remove the thermal paste from the heatsink? I think that's the port that is getting to me. Why can't it jus be reused. Not ideal but better than nothing.

philip

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:52 pm 

pmcd wrote:
chrishet wrote:

Sounds great. I still haven't gotten around to it. I have the E5200 and the Arctic Silver and WHS 2011. Did you remove the thermal paste from the heatsink? I think that's the port that is getting to me. Why can't it jus be reused. Not ideal but better than nothing.

philip

Its very easy...When you take the old cpu out it will take some of the thermal paste with it....you need to add a little to be safe....dude, its like putting toothpaste on your tooth brush! lol...I just cleaned off the heatsink with a paper towel and put on some new thermal compound...it's no different then adding a cpu to a mobo...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:42 am 

Thought it'd be worth chalking up my upgrade fortunes here, I've recently upgraded my Stock CPU+2gb ram EX470 with a new EX490 I stumbled upon at an irresistible price, I ordered up some AS5 and a Core 2 Quad Q8200S to ensure it'd be good to transcode anything I threw at it for a good few years yet. Since I bagged a new and sealed unit, I gambled on the HP paste likely still being soft and fresh and decided to fit the CPU and see how the temps shaped up. Much to my surprise it's actually pretty acceptable, the highest CPU temp I've managed to get out of the HP console is 62c with speed fan reporting core temps of 40 to 50c depending on load. It's been 100% stable over the weekend and with any luck the AS5 will shave ~5c or so off my temps when it decides to turn up.

A full HD transcode with Serviio and Allshare sitting in the background has the machine running at about 50% load across all 4 cores, I've not yet seen memory usage go past 1.5gb even with Allshare doing it's hateful ram guzzling best to drag everything down with it :wink:.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:09 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Kog wrote:
Thought it'd be worth chalking up my upgrade fortunes here, I've recently upgraded my Stock CPU+2gb ram EX470 with a new EX490 I stumbled upon at an irresistible price, I ordered up some AS5 and a Core 2 Quad Q8200S to ensure it'd be good to transcode anything I threw at it for a good few years yet. Since I bagged a new and sealed unit, I gambled on the HP paste likely still being soft and fresh and decided to fit the CPU and see how the temps shaped up. Much to my surprise it's actually pretty acceptable, the highest CPU temp I've managed to get out of the HP console is 62c with speed fan reporting core temps of 40 to 50c depending on load. It's been 100% stable over the weekend and with any luck the AS5 will shave ~5c or so off my temps when it decides to turn up.

A full HD transcode with Serviio and Allshare sitting in the background has the machine running at about 50% load across all 4 cores, I've not yet seen memory usage go past 1.5gb even with Allshare doing it's hateful ram guzzling best to drag everything down with it :wink:.

Interesting. So you reused the heatsink without cleaning off the paste? I have been waiting to put in an E5300 into my EX490 but the paste issue has always been an issue! I would have thought a warm heatsink would still have enough paste on it to reuse it? Is 62c an acceptable temperature over the longer term?

Philip

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:52 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hey guys, my EX490 has the E8400 in it right now but I was thinking of downgrading and putting in a E6750 that I have laying around.

Both processors are identical, besides the E6750 having a lithography of 65 nm while the E8400 being 45nm

Any ideas if this would work?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:09 am 

62c is toasty but not OTT for these processors imo.

I only reason I went with the stock paste was because I landed a new and totally unused part and as such the compound hadn't cured yet. I did redo the sink with AS5 a few weeks later which has dropped temps to 56c, worth the 5 extra minutes imo :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:47 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hey all,

Just got done saving an EX495 from the scrap yard (bad RAM, bad CMOS battery) and was poking around on the motherboard. I've been an avid MediaSmart user since the beginning... just love these little boxes!

In any case, when poking around on the board, I noticed something that was present on the ex48x had been removed on the ex49x - a front motherboard fan connector, the traces on the PCB are there, and I tested them with a multimeter and they are active. Would just need to buy a fan connector from mouser, digikey, etc..

Looking over Alex's awesome blog entry for the ex49x introduction, I noticed the fan header was present. Perhaps Alex had a special unit ;)

I've seen posts around people cramming in a Q9550+ processor on these, but the temps heating up. Has anyone considered making a front case fan mod with a baffle that will take the the fan fron the front, and direct the air over the processor to keep it cool? I only ask because I was given a Q9550 (non s) processor and thinking of repurposing it for this.

Picture attached for reference, this is Alex's photo from the blog, with my arrows indicating the fan header. On my unit, it is just the traces, and coincidentally, the "fan" silkscreen is still there, as well.

Attachments:
ex490fan.png
ex490fan.png [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 58513 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:46 pm 
Founder
Founder

Interesting, I'm not sure why they would remove it. I did get a unit in advance so I could write my review before it went live, but I'd guess it was removed in a hardware rev, probably to save a penny on the BOM cost. :) I'm sure you could solder a header on there if you wanted...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:36 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Yeah, was weird when I saw it. There is also an auction on Ebay for a dead ex49x motherboard, and based on the pictures it also has the header. I'll take a look at mine later and see if there's a revision stamped to it.

Be interesting to see what else may have changed.. for better or worse.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:27 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Well it's been fun but I just but I just put my EX495 with Q9550S for sale on *bay.

I've been happy with my new Zotec ZBOX ID82 with USB 3.0 enclosures. I guess I should update my signature soon

8GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:54 am 

thinking about finally upgrading my ex490, do you think an q8200s or e6750 would be the better option?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:52 pm 

Upgraded both my ex490 and my x510 to q8400s and 4gb ram. I got the CPU's for £50 each off eBay and a matched pair of used komputerbay 4gb DDR2-800 memory which cost just under £50 all in. I never use Komputerbay as a rule but as buying new ranges from £130-£180 I gave them a go and they work great. Used artic silver 5 and temps are idling at 45 degrees, cooler than the stock celery or the e5200.

The difference with the upgrade on the ex490 post upgrade was huge but I was also surprised just how much faster the q8400s is than the e5200. Transcoding on the fly using air video isn't a problem any more on either box.

I wish I'd have done the upgrade much sooner but having said that there would have been a snowballs chance in hell of getting the CPU and memory that cheap if I'd done that!

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next