It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Ihome Server
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:38 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So I have been trying to reinstall itunes on my server since I had to restore and always seemed to hit the roadblock. I tried ihome server to see what it could offer me and I have to admit its decent. Im not saying fabulous but decent. it auto starts on boot up, it installs itunes as promised, it also monitors folders for changes. The only Drawback at this point is that apple is a closed system that doesnt play MKV or AVI files which makes up over 1/2 my library.

I fell out of love with the boxee box due to consistent bug issue and no light on the horizon. I left my boxee turned off but plugged in for 3 months went to use it the other day and it died after 1 movie. How crappy to die from lack of use.

oh wait my point haha what experiances if any have do you have with ihome server good or bad. is it worth purchase or can I do most of this stuff on my own with out paying?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Ihome Server
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:27 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Ihome server is effective for what it is. A way to run itunes on windows effectively. I have been using it for a year or so without any problems but your library is not on itunes, I assume. I use jailbroken appletv 1's and 2's with XBMC to stream to TV's and they play all mkv's and avi's. My ATV1's have the crystal HD card to play HD movies. If you want to get the mkv's, etc to play on apple devices (ipads, ipods, iphone) then I use Air Video server on WHS v1 or whs 2011 to stream to the air video app.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:10 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have an appletv v3 which i have been using airvideo with it seems good but the quality even on my home network seems iffy somethimes. Im not sure what is going on but inpoints I get blocky. I do have a Appletv v1 that i was going to ebay as Im not sure what to do with it.

I would love to see apple open apple tv to apps, airvideo native on appletv would be a wish.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:09 am 
Uber Moderator
Uber Moderator

I'm a fan of IHomeserver, does exactly what I need on the Microserver. No error message on startup as there is no sound and you can use watch folders to automatically categorise content you copy over. TV Shows as TV, Books as Books etc. You can also set it to tag as well which is quite handy. Not had any "blocky" issues with V2 or V3 Apple TV's, one of the best bits of kit I have got to complement whs.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:44 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I dont know what the deal is then when I stream the quality is super degraded and sometimes artifacts from server to iphone 5 to appletv. is there something I can do better?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:40 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I've been using iHomeServer from quite a while. I have jail broken ATV2 and use PLEX to stream movies and music to it. Works pretty well. I started out using xbmc on the ATV2 but find PLEX to be more "seamless". PLEX has it's roots in xbmc IIRC.

Thanks