It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:55 am 

So the question I have is "Why Server Essentials 2012"? Why not apply Windows 8?

I have upgraded my MediaSmart ex495 with 4gb / Q9550S proc. Also I am running a mirrored Bay 1 (special controller holding 2 laptops hard drives / SSD), and then Software raid 5 on the other three bays. Oh yes I have the VGA mod being used with a Sewell VGA to HDMI adapter so I can swap inputs on my 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor and view the WHS console at 1920 x 1080.

Windows 8 provides Storage Spaces
Windows 8 also allows for the MediaCenter addon / codecs if wanted

I think after looking at all these posts, the only problem I can see is a possible driver issues with the MediaSmart ex495 hard drive displaylights

Jason

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:27 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

jasperkins wrote:
So the question I have is "Why Server Essentials 2012"? Why not apply Windows 8?

I have upgraded my MediaSmart ex495 with 4gb / Q9550S proc. Also I am running a mirrored Bay 1 (special controller holding 2 laptops hard drives / SSD), and then Software raid 5 on the other three bays. Oh yes I have the VGA mod being used with a Sewell VGA to HDMI adapter so I can swap inputs on my 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor and view the WHS console at 1920 x 1080.

Windows 8 provides Storage Spaces
Windows 8 also allows for the MediaCenter addon / codecs if wanted

I think after looking at all these posts, the only problem I can see is a possible driver issues with the MediaSmart ex495 hard drive displaylights

Jason
Can you share more details regarding the special controller that holds two laptop drives/ SSDs?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:47 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Another consideration concerning the use of Essentials is the cost of software that'll run on it. For example I was just looking at Macrium Reflect. The price for personal use is $44.95 (standard version) but for the server version it is $189.99. I understand why companies do this and don't have a problem with it. But unless they realize people are using Essentials for home use and create a price point for that type of use, it's going to make using Essentials even more difficult. A Synology NAS is looking better all the time. :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:19 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

jasperkins wrote:

Jason

Outstanding question and thank you. I was out to lunch on this issue :) It would sure be nice to compare the critical features between:

WHS1
Win 8 Pro
WS2012E

I started thinking about it and since the gold/rtm of win 8 pro is available on TechNet I'm downloading it as we speak and thats my first stop. I think each of us probably has a different list but for me:

DE/Pooling and is it "duplicate" smart like whs1 has
Seperate drive or driveS for server BU which are not in the pool. Can the new kids automatically "split" file copys accross two or more physical devices not in the pool. Never thought I would say this but it's gona happen
Bare Metal BU/Restores of clients and win 8 pro
Fast
Stable
Headless

Given what I already have invested and my addiction :) either new kid on the block is fine with me via TechNet which reduces the price a great deal. Factor in the learning curve for win8 pro and testing has to make sence but since I'm not tied up to any piece of a box I can live with it.

Challenging times for all of us. :)

HTH

Steve

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:14 pm 

@TXDot. I am using the JMicron IcyDock Hardware Mirror Bay for Disk1. This way if the OS disk fails, I can easily replace it.
On newegg (cant post link as I am a new member :-(
ICY DOCK MB982SPR-2S Full Metal Dual 2.5" to 3.5" SATA HDD & SSD Converter with RAID for PC & Mac Pro

@Steve_S. I can tell you that the HP MediaSmart EX495 does run Windows 8 from USB just fine. One of the new features of Windows 8 is you can create a Windows 8 USB that the OS runs from the USB 3.0 stick itself. Windows 8 found all the hardware, the only thing I had was that the disk lights were not working. I didn't play around with it, as I knew I was going to rebuild with a full version.

So as I type this, I am breaking the software raid 5 (3- 1.5 TB disks) after I couple out to my eSata backup disks. Then I will install a clean build of Windows 8. I also have a full subscription to MSDN, so I can get the different products.
Where I could see using Windows 2012 Essentials is if you wanted to backup clients in your home and needed Anywhere Internet access (web front end). I do not need these features, as I now use SkyDrive to backup my important files / folders, and keep all my important data on the Media Server itself (no need for client backups).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:23 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I am wondering if there is anyway to script some of the installs or setups for home users like a community project. In the vain of the one that was done here to bring update 2.5 update before HP accepted their users wanted it for older machines also. or the add in to fix some of the issues with the ex495 software.

I know its not a home user experiance OS but.... WHS is a very cool OS and one I would like to live on a little longer.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:16 pm 
Founder
Founder

T-Bone I don't understand what you're asking for, do you have specific scenarios you're wanting to see automated?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:24 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

not anything to specific, Ive read that setting up some of the first install stuff was a little more complex then normal users would like. I was thinking if there is a default config that is the most like the WHS then we could use that as a default install package. I think that WHS is a great platform and even though the userbase will be limited it should be continued

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:56 am 
Founder
Founder

It sounds like you just don't want WHS to die. :) I understand that feeling, and I'm still running v1 at home for my storage and backup needs.

You may want to look into the X-Files work by Drashna over at WeGotServed, he did a bunch of customization stuff that may be what you're looking for. Personally the HP Server Recovery image is pretty straight forward and meets all my needs once I install a few add-ins and I don't see much value in doing a bunch of work trying to modify it, especially when there's no specific requests.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:45 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I see nothing wrong with what we have now!
I'm running the x510 with a replacement power supply setting on the shelf and have a ex470 with new power supply installed packed in the box in the garage on the shelf.
I bought a oem copy of WHS and oem copy of WHS2011 with a paid for drivebender setting on the shelf. I invested in 20 2tb drives back when they were cheap.
My data needs right now are not huge, I decided to rip my dvd's to about 1.5 gig mpg each for space over the long haul (a choice). I don't trust the client backups (i do them just as another layer) but decided to have everybody keep all their files on the server and keep base images of each pc on a external 2tb usb drive to save time from reloading.
I have duplication on but also have a non-pooled drive/s to backup my shares (layers).
My point,
I have 8 pc's in my house not counting the server. (3) have win 7 (1) has vista the other 4 have xp. I see win7 lasting at least as long as xp did 10-14 years and so far win8 is not a problem. So i figure I am good hardware/diy/software for at least 10-20 years. God only knows what will happen in 15 years. USB3 / 64 bit and 3-4 tb drive support would be nice but what I have is working just fine (not perfect) but good enough.
Cloud, not for me, (hell no) not ever. Spend 400-1000/s of dallors on microsoft software (hell no) not ever.
When HP and MS abandoned the most awesome hardware/software combo that had hit the market in years, it was tempting to think (what next) like it was the end. But, I figured, so what, they are so awesome that they will last a lonnng time so it makes me that much more determed to keep on the path. I might even buy another x510 if I see a good price and sell the 470, but am already looking at hardware for a DIY.

No need for change here :cheers: HP and MS may have turned there back, but it works good and I will be running it for a long time.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks