It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:38 pm 

I'm looking to upgrade my server and am needing some help with video streaming performance. I have everything but the CPU/Motherboard and am wondering where to start. I am mainly using this server to stream MP4 files that are roughly 1GB in size (they have been handbraked in the Apple TV 2 format). Currently the streaming quality is horrible, hence the rebuild. I have 8GB of 1600 RAM and (4) 2TB WD hard drives that are pooled using Stablebit Drivepool.

I am looking to spend roughly $300 on the CPU/Mobo but could go a little higher if necessary and would like to stick to Intel, but I'm open to anything that you recommend. I don't really care about power consumption necessarily, just optimal performance for video streaming of those 1GB files. I will also do the handbraking on this server so I will probably want at least a quad core. I have 25MB download and 8-10MB upload currently.

Is Apple TV 2 the best handbrake format for streaming? Is the stock remote web access streaming the best software option or are there other add-ins out there that work better?

Thanks for any help you can give this newbie!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:13 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

What are you using for your media player(s)? Roku? Apple TV? WD? That could influence the format you rip in. Unless the server is having to transcode the movies, you really don't need that much power. Also, what is your current server configuration?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:18 am 

I use a WD live plus here at home, but on the go I use my laptop and sometimes connect to a TV via HDMI and use the Remote Web Access video stream. It's on the laptop away from home that the quality is terrible. I have the original .ISO files of my movies and transcoded them to Apple TV 2 format using the built in handbrake program in the My Movies add-in. Would MKV or something else be a better format? A different program besides handbrake maybe?

Currently 500W PS, 8GB 1600 RAM, (4) 2TB WD20EARS (Raid 5 currently, but will be using StableBit Drivepool in the next build), ASUS FM1 mobo, Quad-Core AMD APU (I'm also using this server as a HTPC and a lot of drivers are not compatible with WHS. I even tried Win 7 drivers and still no go). I'm wanting to build a HTPC with that mobo/apu combo anyway to separate the two and dedicate my next server build to just being a server so I don't need built in graphics on a mobo or anything. That being said, USB 3.0 is high on my priority list for a server mobo.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:13 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

If you're attempting to watch on the laptop in a hotel, you're almost certainly fighting for bandwidth width the other businessmen. If you're using a wireless connection it's even worse. I think the only real option you have is lowering the bitrate but that also lowers the quality. I use Plex Media Server on my EX490 running WHS 2011 and a Apple TV2 (jail broken) as the media player. At home that works great. I've tried doing it remotely but the quality wasn't very good. That was on my iPad 2 and of course that was over WiFi. I suspect that was the real problem. We know that streaming high quality movies is doable since Nelflix and many others do it. I'm not certain what the answer is.

Thanks