It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:27 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Has anybody been successful getting WebDav Navigator (from the iPad App Store) to work with an original (v1) WHS machine? And if so, can you provide some guidance? I'm not even getting it to connect to my HP EX-485. I think it is choking at the security certificate warning that you always get when trying to access these WHS boxes remotely. The error is a generic "The operation could not be completed". Any insights will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:50 pm 
Founder
Founder

I believe WHS doesn't have WebDav enabled, have you enabled it? The author provides a guide for doing it on WHS 2011 that may be helpful though the process on WHS will likely be somewhat different.
http://seanashton.net/webdav/whs2011/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:24 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hmmm... I just took a quick look at that article and I'm not even sure if WHS v1 has IIS. He also refers to launching "Server Manager", which, I am guessing, may be unique to v2011 since I've never seen this in v1. I'll research more tonight, but WebDav may not be a solution for WHS v1...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:48 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Just logged into my WHS v1 server and it does indeed have IIS. That's the good news. The not-so-good news is that everything is quite different than the description on the WebDav Navigator site for setting up IIS on WHS 2011. So, I'll have to do some digging and try to educate myself on this. But if anybody comes across this message and has already done this on WHS v1, I would love to hear the details.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:07 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Poking around in IIS Manager and found where to make Webdav active. I doubt it will be as simple as that, but I will test tomorrow. Wish there was a way to do this testing from within my home network. Making changes at home and then taking the iPad to work the next day to test will be a slow process...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:44 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Well, that part was a success. WebDav Navigator on the iPad now connects to my WHS v1 box. I just can't see anything there. So, must be some config I need to do in IIS to make my folders visible. More research tonight, but this is progress! I suspect it will be something along the lines of what was mentioned in the WebDav Navigator website for WHS 2011, but WHS v1 is a very different looking animal and none of those screen shots or instructions seem to translate across easily. But the concepts should be similar so it will be an excellent starting point.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:19 pm 
Founder
Founder

Test from home via the internal name, http://servername/webdav_directory

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:43 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I've been searching around and found the solution in the form of a WHS v1 add-in called WebFolders4WHS. Install that in the WHS v1 console, run its setup, and it configures IIS and your server for WebDav access. I'm connecting to it with WebDav Navigator on my iPad just fine. I need to do further testing with WebDav Navigator to see if it is truly the solution I am looking for to get photos uploaded from my iPad to my WHS remotely, but at least it's working!

WebFolders4WHS is a very simple and elegant solution!

Thanks