It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:57 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I've loaded WHS 2011 onto an HP Proliant N40L Micro Server.

I have upgraded to 2X4gb Ram & installed the controller card for my Sans Dugital TR4M-B.

I have not flashed the BIOS as I don't plan on using slots 4 & 5 anyway.

The Server has installed & recognizes 8 hard drives.

I have moved each shared folder to it's own hard drive with none on the OS drive.

I have 1 hard drive set as the Backup drive.

I have copied my data over from my DataVault.

All folders & the server are backed up to the backup drive & also backedup off site using KeepVault.

The way I see it, there are 2 copies of each file on the server & 1 located off site so, I am adequately protected.

Does anyone see any faults in my build?

If not, I plan to delete the files from my DataVault & remove it from service in the near future.

One last thought, is it normal for the dashboard to take anywhere fro 30 seconds to over a minute to open?

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:44 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

CBick wrote:
The way I see it, there are 2 copies of each file on the server & 1 located off site so, I am adequately protected. Does anyone see any faults in my build?

Nope - looks like you are covered! The only thing I might add is either DrivePool or DriveBender to convert those individual drives into one WHSv1 Pool - I started out with individual drives and shares, but recently tried out and then bought DriveBender and am very happy with it - not having to think of individual drives or manually "load balance" files between them is very nice. And being able to duplicate critical files and keep downtime to a minimum is also very welcome.

Quote:
One last thought, is it normal for the dashboard to take anywhere fro 30 seconds to over a minute to open?

Are your PC's and Windows Home Server in the same workgroup? i.e. unless you change it on install, WHS defaults to a workgroup of - workgroup! Other than that I can't think of anything easy to recommend to troubleshoot - but it's probably some weird netbios thing that's delaying your computer from "seeing" your WHS...

Thanks