It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: New to Mac...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:59 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So my girlfriend just got me a new laptop this weekend. I choose the 13" Macbook Pro as I really liked how rock solid hers was compared to my viao. So I set it up installed Bootcamp with win7. As the MSS is a huge part of my home computer life I went to install the Mac MSS client software. I dont think it is installing correctly. It says something about getting a preferences screen and inputting the server info. As I am extremely new to the Mac how do I know if it installed correctly? what am I suppose to be seeing? It came preinstalled with OSX lion.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: New to Mac...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:02 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I looked at this link: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10880&start=15

I wasnt able to figure out why the preferences screen didnt pop up, as none of the other users had this issue. I was wireless when I tried, dont know if that makes a diffrence.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:34 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So I finally got the HP mediasmart to show up in the menu bar. Very cool stuff but because I cant click apply in perferences which I finally found, none of the menu items work. I saw a ton of threads with the exact same issue and a lot with the same title. None seemed to helpful. the one that caught my eye was the one that talked about reenabling AFE? Not sure if I got that right. It talked about protocal used to enable server and computer to talk to one another. I didnt see anyone with a WHS that tried it. Im curious if anyone tried and was successful.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:18 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I have use bootcamp in the past and as a Mac fan I can tell you that you will have a better experience if you use VMware Fusion. I have it set up to start on log on so i have Mac and windows always on and ready ( most softwares i need for school only work on windows ](*,) ). The installation process is easier and it just works. One thing you will notice is that windows machines will take time to show in the share tab on a Mac.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:41 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Found this on the internet:

OS X LION connection error with AFP and workaround. Apple disabled support for the “DHCAST128″ in OS X 10.7 LION, which is commonly used by NAS boxes, Apple felt the protocal was less secure then DHX2.

A little explanation:
By default, OSX Lion uses the DHX2 authentication protocol instead of its predecessor DHCAST128.
Since our NMT's only support DHCAST128 for now, you'll need to enable the protocol yourself (on Lion):

1. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and do::

Code:

sudo chmod o+w /Library/Preferences

Code:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_host_prefs_version -int 1

2. Restart your Mac.
3. From Finder, select an AFP server, or use “Connect To…”. This will cause the AFP Client to create the full preferences file
4. Launch Terminal again and do:

Code:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array “Cleartxt Passwrd” “MS2.0″ “2-Way Randnum exchange”

Code:

sudo chmod o-w /Library/Preferences

5. Now restart your computer

Note: If you want to disable DHCAST128 again sometime, run this command:
Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array-add “DHCAST128″

I found this info in multiple places but I found it here first: http://www.alexanderwilde.com/2011/04/o ... orkaround/

If anyone has tried this let the rest of us know. Im very interested. I dont usually let WHS back up my machines as Ive been lucky enough to change my computer up enough not to need to or enabled me to catch issues befor they got out of control. I would love to have icon in the menu to work. Looks cool and without it seems like Im missing out on something.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:46 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

T-Bone wrote:
Found this on the internet:

OS X LION connection error with AFP and workaround. Apple disabled support for the “DHCAST128″ in OS X 10.7 LION, which is commonly used by NAS boxes, Apple felt the protocal was less secure then DHX2.

A little explanation:
By default, OSX Lion uses the DHX2 authentication protocol instead of its predecessor DHCAST128.
Since our NMT's only support DHCAST128 for now, you'll need to enable the protocol yourself (on Lion):

1. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Terminal and do::

Code:

sudo chmod o+w /Library/Preferences

Codeac

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_host_prefs_version -int 1

2. Restart your Mac.
3. From Finder, select an AFP server, or use “Connect To…”. This will cause the AFP Client to create the full preferences file
4. Launch Terminal again and do:

Code:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array “Cleartxt Passwrd” “MS2.0″ “2-Way Randnum exchange”

Code:

sudo chmod o-w /Library/Preferences

5. Now restart your computer

Note: If you want to disable DHCAST128 again sometime, run this command:
Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array-add “DHCAST128″

I found this info in multiple places but I found it here first: http://www.alexanderwilde.com/2011/04/o ... orkaround/

If anyone has tried this let the rest of us know. Im very interested. I dont usually let WHS back up my machines as Ive been lucky enough to change my computer up enough not to need to or enabled me to catch issues befor they got out of control. I would love to have icon in the menu to work. Looks cool and without it seems like Im missing out on something.

Anybody tried this yet? I'm not game on being the first as I'm looking for a tried and true method of accessing the WHS console on my Mac with Lion

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:57 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Unfortunately, Lion does not connect with WHS.

Client3: Win7 Prof 32bit
Client4: MacBook Pro
Client5: Mac Mini

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:07 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

So us Lion users are left with no way to connect to WHS. Even through Parallels?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:42 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I just introduced myself to parallels the other day and VMware fusion also. Very nice very nice indeed. I got super excited when I got my Mac an hit newegg up for memory. Im running 16gb in my Macbook pro right now. should make parallels and vmware more pleasureable. Right this second they are trials but im about to pull the trigger on parallels for some reason it seems faster and nicer then VMware fusion. plus I found it for 29.99.

I will also give the instructions I posted a try this weekend.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:52 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I've been running Snow Leopard Mini Macs as my media center units. These replaced Apple TV1s which had replaced Windows 7 media center units. I run the mini macs with T7600 processors, crystalHD cards, 4 gig memory, XBMC and AppleTV remotes. Works much better than Windows 7 units and all my media is on HP Mediasmart WHS V1 and WHS 2011 machines. There is no skipping and they play 1080P MKV's with no problems at all. I have not even entertained the thought of moving to Lion. I should say I got all the mini macs on Ebay and upgraded them to decent specs.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:19 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

my instructions I found on internet do not work for me.

Erail - Nice setup, Im currently using the boxee box as my media center units. Im more interested in your ex490 upgrade. I have a few questions if you have time.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:21 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Sure T-bone, There wasn't much to it. Just put in a Q9400S which replaced a Q8300 and 4 Gig memory and it was up and running. Now I did install WHS 2011 before the upgrade as well as stablebit drive pool. The system just runs, it is very quick and the cpu stays in the low 40's. I do have 1 2T WD Black drive as system, 2 2T WD EARS Drives and a Hitachi 3T Drive. I tested with a StorBox 5 drive esata unit and it worked fine, but I haven't had the need to use it yet. The stablebit pool gives me about 8.5T of space to use for movies and music. I have several servers running in the 490 which do some transcoding - Serviio, KalemSoft, Air Video, Mezzmo. All in all, it's a very strong server that uses lights out to shut off at the witching hour and comes back on at 8AM.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:26 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Thats great I really want a Quad core machine. I would love to pick up another EX49x and try this on. Little nervois on my only production machine. After selling me ex475 I totally get why having a back up is a good Idea. I want to try some stuff but I dont want to install on production till i got the kinks worked out.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:58 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

There was an update recently, there was mention of SMB fixes or updates.

Does this update fix the MSS and lion issue?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:11 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

T-Bone wrote:
There was an update recently, there was mention of SMB fixes or updates.

Does this update fix the MSS and lion issue?

Looks like its time to try again but I'll be honest, I'm not hopeful.

Thanks