It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:15 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

chrishet wrote:
pmcd wrote:
eBay has quite few used 5200's.

Philip

Thx Phillip. I went into the old closet and found an ASUS P5 MB with an Core 2 Duo 6400 processor...its a socket 775...would this processor work in the EX490?

It's a 65nm CPU. The E6300 would seem to be safer. You want a server to be reliable. It's not meant to be a high end gaming machine! The safest route seems to be the E5200. There's also the E5400 and similar cpu's. I am pretty paranoid about pushing these things. There seems to be people who have used the E6400. Just google HP ex490 CPU upgrade. Just because the socket is the same doesn't mean it will work properly. There's power issues involved, heat, etc ... I have processors lying around that might also work but the E5200 is used in the EX495 which seems to be the same system as the EX490 except for a larger hard drive and the CPU.

$40 doesn't seem to be a lot for a really nice upgrade (E5200).

Philip

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank pmcd for this post
chrishet, chrishet

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:02 am 

I spent a good chunk of the evening yesterday putting some new parts into my ex490 but am running into trouble.

Before starting the upgrade, I had a stock ex490 with 4 drives (1TB system drive + 3-2Tb WD).

I purchased and planned on installing a 2.93 GHz LGA 775 e6500 along with a 4GB Mushkin Silverline DIMM (pn 991762). I dropped the CPU into the MSS last night after applying some artic silver 5 (per their instructions)

While inside, I also replaced the stock fans (they were noisy) with two Noctua 80x80mm fans.

What I am running into now seems to be multiple boot failure error. I get 5 red blinks on the network health light followed by a blinking blue.

Trying to take a deep breath and cross fingers that I didn't kill my mss.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:08 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

jms71 wrote:
I spent a good chunk of the evening yesterday putting some new parts into my ex490 but am running into trouble.

Before starting the upgrade, I had a stock ex490 with 4 drives (1TB system drive + 3-2Tb WD).

I purchased and planned on installing a 2.93 GHz LGA 775 e6500 along with a 4GB Mushkin Silverline DIMM (pn 991762). I dropped the CPU into the MSS last night after applying some artic silver 5 (per their instructions)

While inside, I also replaced the stock fans (they were noisy) with two Noctua 80x80mm fans.

What I am running into now seems to be multiple boot failure error. I get 5 red blinks on the network health light followed by a blinking blue.

Trying to take a deep breath and cross fingers that I didn't kill my mss.

Any advice?

Thanks.

My suggestion would be to roll everything back, see if your MSS will boot up with all original parts, and then start upgrading the parts again one at a time, booting up after each part upgrade. This way it may be easier to isolate the part(s) causing your problems, as well as letting the WHS to "adjust" itself to each new component by installing drivers, etc.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:21 am 

Thanks akgem. Will give it a try.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:53 am 

@akgem,

okay. rolled back everything to stock config and resat the Celeron.

On initial boot still getting the 5 red health blinks followed by a blinking blue health monitor.

Trying to breath deep here but not sure where next. Fear I bricked it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:24 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

jms71 wrote:
@akgem,

okay. rolled back everything to stock config and resat the Celeron.

On initial boot still getting the 5 red health blinks followed by a blinking blue health monitor.

Trying to breath deep here but not sure where next. Fear I bricked it.

Did you reset the computer?

Philip

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:33 am 

@PMCD

Are you referring to a factory reset/server restore? Or something else?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:23 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

jms71 wrote:
@PMCD

Are you referring to a factory reset/server restore? Or something else?

Not a server restore. I was hoping that there was a hardware reset button on the EX490, perhaps even on the motherboard. Just a wild guess, but I was just about to upgrade my EX490 to an E5200 processor and your experience has made me somewhat reluctant at this point. What on earth could be wrong? Is it possible to put the CPU in the wrong way? Perhaps the dreaded, from my perspective, thermal compound replacement? The fans? Not putting in the boot drive in the lower bay? Bad processor?

It seems like a pretty straightforward upgrade.

Philip

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:32 pm 

@PMCD

There is a small button (you need a paperclip) next to the network health indicator.

I gave up on the upgrade (CPU, memory and fans) and am trying to restore to status quo ante.

I was extremely careful in seating the CPU and in the application of the arctic silver compound (along with the other mods.) Not sure where it went wrong.

Given what I had read here and in other forums I also thought this would be a very straightforward upgrade since I used to build custom workstations for a CAD/CAM VAR.

Apparently mileage will vary. :-/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:52 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

jms71 wrote:
@PMCD

There is a small button (you need a paperclip) next to the network health indicator.

I gave up on the upgrade (CPU, memory and fans) and am trying to restore to status quo ante.

I was extremely careful in seating the CPU and in the application of the arctic silver compound (along with the other mods.) Not sure where it went wrong.

Given what I had read here and in other forums I also thought this would be a very straightforward upgrade since I used to build custom workstations for a CAD/CAM VAR.

Apparently mileage will vary. :-/

So, what was the end result. Did you manage to get it working again?

philip

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:58 pm 

Hi Phillip,

Sorry for tardiness with the updates.

Rolled absolutely everything back and did a factory restore after migrating main data backup to a Drobo FS.

The MSS is working again but definitely did not like the upgrade attempt.

Checked the CPU and memory DIMM and both checked out okay in my diag box.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:05 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

davidgelb wrote:

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

-David

Hi again. Still working up the nerve to do the swap. Have everything including the 5200 and Arctic Silver. When the heat sink comes off, how do I get the sticky stuff off it? When I reboot the system do I put all 4 drives back or just the boot drive. If just the boot drive then do I lose everything on the other 3?

I don't know why the thermal thing is driving me nuts. What's the worse that could happen if I just replaced the cpu and used the existing heat sink without cleaning the heat sink ( and not applying any thermal compound to the heat sink). Wouldn't the thermal stuff on the heat sink heat up and work? Maybe not as efficiently but I don't mind a few more degrees!

philip

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:16 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

jms71 wrote:
Hi Phillip,

Sorry for tardiness with the updates.

Rolled absolutely everything back and did a factory restore after migrating main data backup to a Drobo FS.

The MSS is working again but definitely did not like the upgrade attempt.

Checked the CPU and memory DIMM and both checked out okay in my diag box.

Hmm ... are you going to try again? Perhaps just the cpu upgrade ... I am still nervous about putting a 5200 in since reading about your nightmare! There are other reasons too. That thermal thing is a real mystery to me.

philip

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:34 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Just install them one at a time and reboot the server a few times after each upgrade to let it install the driver, adjust the BIOS if necessary, etc. Start with the RAM upgrade, since it's probably the easiest and less intrusive. Maybe even let the server run for a day or two after the upgrade to see how it performs. Then move on to the CPU upgrade.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:26 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

akgem wrote:
Just install them one at a time and reboot the server a few times after each upgrade to let it install the driver, adjust the BIOS if necessary, etc. Start with the RAM upgrade, since it's probably the easiest and less intrusive. Maybe even let the server run for a day or two after the upgrade to see how it performs. Then move on to the CPU upgrade.

When can you put all the hard drives back in or do you lose the data? I only have a cpu upgrade to do to the 5200, which should make it similar to an EX495.

philip

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next