It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:54 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Upgraded my EX490 to an E5200.

Getting the top off was pretty tough but the thing that got me stumped was getting the Motherboard/PSU tray out. I was pulling and pulling with what little I had to grip before realising I had to slide it slightly to the right as I pulled as it was catching on the outer case! :oops:

After that it was plain sailing. The bit I was worried about was remembering to put all the connectors back in when doing it in the reverse order to rebuild (always a nightmare with laptop repairs) but it went smoothly.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:21 pm 

Just got a Q8200S through e-bay from CostMicro Net 8) Will install one of these days soon when I have a few days off and see how it goes. Will post again when I've upgraded. Just have to look at getting a 4gig stick of ram now and installing that in the same session while I have the server apart.

gib

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:40 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

gibster wrote:
Just got a Q8200S through e-bay from CostMicro Net 8) Will install one of these days soon when I have a few days off and see how it goes. Will post again when I've upgraded. Just have to look at getting a 4gig stick of ram now and installing that in the same session while I have the server apart.

gib

I got 2 x 4 GB sticks of DDR2 PC2-6400 Patriot memory off of Newegg. Since DDR3 is the latest and greatest thing, DDR2 prices are up. I cringed at the thought of paying $80 for 8 GB of DDR2 when $40 would've bought 8 GB of DDR3. Alas, my EX487 and EX490 take DDR2 so that's what I went with. I shopped several different sites and Newegg came in with the best price plus free shipping.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:05 pm 

msawyer91 wrote:
gibster wrote:

gib

I got 2 x 4 GB sticks of DDR2 PC2-6400 Patriot memory off of Newegg. Since DDR3 is the latest and greatest thing, DDR2 prices are up. I cringed at the thought of paying $80 for 8 GB of DDR2 when $40 would've bought 8 GB of DDR3. Alas, my EX487 and EX490 take DDR2 so that's what I went with. I shopped several different sites and Newegg came in with the best price plus free shipping.

I'm doing some searching and it's even hard finding 8gb now. My problem is Newegg won't ship to AU (at least last time I tried). Want to sell the extra 4gig? I'll give Newegg another shot.

gib

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:49 pm 

Anyone looking for 4Gig ram I found some on e-bay and ordered a stick yesterday. Here is the link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Patriot-PSD24G8 ... 0670496274

gib

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:39 pm 

gibster wrote:

gib

On vacation now and just installed the Q8200s and 4 gig of patriot ram and things are looking great. Temps compared to the stock CPU are down about 15 degrees and things are really snappy now. Temp on the stock CPU always ran around 65c and now about 50c to 52c on all 4 cores. (I'm in Cairns AU and ambient temps here are always 25 to 35 c).

Server Console opens in about 15 seconds instead of a minute, and RDP in is almost instantaneous with the stock web page one gets when logging into the server opening in about 3 seconds instead of 15 or so.

Just have to go through this thread again and see what people are using to monitor temps. Right now I'm using ASoft AdminiMe and I can see the temps creeping downwards as the Artic Silver 5 starts doing it's thing.

The cable referenced in the following thread is great viewtopic.php?t=3980 and just wish that HP had built in Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse ports. Someday I'll look at how to possibly permanently mount the ports.

I'll let everything run for a day then see what happens with some DVD rips and transcoding 8)

Gib

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:26 pm 

Hi, I am going to be upgrading my ex490 to an E6300 processor. For those here who have done that upgrade, did you upgrade the RAM to match the higher FSB speed of the cpu? If so, which RAM did you use? Would you suggest doing that?

Also, if I purchase the debug cable, do I need the ps2 keyboard/mouse version, or will a VGA only debug and a USB keyboard work with BIOS on the 490?

Thank you!

-David

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:15 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

davidgelb wrote:
Hi, I am going to be upgrading my ex490 to an E6300 processor. For those here who have done that upgrade, did you upgrade the RAM to match the higher FSB speed of the cpu? If so, which RAM did you use? Would you suggest doing that?

No. If you're going to upgrade the memory do it because you'd benefit from the increase in physical memory. It's really not worth it just for the FSB bump.

I'm assuming the HP mobo adjusts the CPU multiplier to run at the CPU's full speed, though. Can someone confirm?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:51 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have an HP EX490 which is around 5 months old. Runs great as a media server. Don't transcode a lot but running Plex might be nice. I am thinking of upgrading the cpu but not the RAM. There seems to be the E5200,E5300,E5700,E6300. In fact the older cpu's are more expensive which is why the E5700 and E6300 are appealing. I don't want to go higher as heat is a worry.

Is the E5700 too fast in that it will run hot? It runs at 3GHz while the current Celeron runs at 2.2GHz.

The E6300 is another family. Will I have to adjust anything to deal with the FSB speed or will it simply run at the slower RAM speed? The only reason I am even thinking of the 6300 is I have one lying around.

On one video the fellow simply removed the cpu, put it he new one and put back the heat sink. No using any kind of thermal paste at all. I assume it is still on the heat sink. The thermal paste part is actually the most intimidating part of this process. Can one avoid it as was done in the YouTube video?

Thanks,

philip

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:56 am 

Hey Philip,

I just swapped CPUs in my ex490 with the e5200 and it runs great! much snappier than before. The hardest part was getting the small screws out of the front without stripping the heads!

I was going to go with a 6300, but since I was unsure about heat issues, and most people online went with the 5200 (not to mention HP used that cpu in the 495), I just decided to follow suit and go with one I new would work perfectly.

As far as thermal paste, I think it would be a terrible idea to skip that step. The original paste was hard when I got the heatsink off. It had to be fully cleaned and replaced before reassembly. It is super simple, though. Use rubbing alcohol to remove the old paste and don't touch the heatsink surface with your fingers as the oils can make the paste less efficient.

You can use this guide from Arctic Silver. Just don't over apply and you will be fine. I do find with my new cpu and Arctic Silver, my e5200 runs about 10 degrees cooler than the old Celeron.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth ... e_v1.1.pdf

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

-David

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank davidgelb for this post
pmcd
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:00 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

davidgelb wrote:
Hey Philip,

I just swapped CPUs in my ex490 with the e5200 and it runs great! much snappier than before. The hardest part was getting the small screws out of the front without stripping the heads!

I was going to go with a 6300, but since I was unsure about heat issues, and most people online went with the 5200 (not to mention HP used that cpu in the 495), I just decided to follow suit and go with one I new would work perfectly.

As far as thermal paste, I think it would be a terrible idea to skip that step. The original paste was hard when I got the heatsink off. It had to be fully cleaned and replaced before reassembly. It is super simple, though. Use rubbing alcohol to remove the old paste and don't touch the heatsink surface with your fingers as the oils can make the paste less efficient.

You can use this guide from Arctic Silver. Just don't over apply and you will be fine. I do find with my new cpu and Arctic Silver, my e5200 runs about 10 degrees cooler than the old Celeron.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth ... e_v1.1.pdf

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

-David

Hi

Thank you very much David. I thought it over after reading your note and decided to go with the E5200. I ordered one for around the same price as the faster 5700, but I feel much better with the E5200. The main thing is reliability and the fact that the EX495 uses it is perfect. I was really paranoid about heat and power loads on the power supply. I even bought some Arctic Silver 5 stuff so now it will come down to dismantling the EX490. The CPU will not require cleaning but I assume I will have to do something to the HP heatsink in terms of removing residual thermal compound? This is going to be a real adventure. The only thing that I have done that compares is dismantling an old Apple TV and replacing the wireless card with a Crystal HD video card. That was bad enough, and that sticky compound was again the source of anxiety.

Philip

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:52 am 

I'm considering upgrading my EX490's CPU, memory, and OS to 2011. I just completed my new HT build and am in the process of batch ripping my DVD collection in prep for streaming content to my Dune/HTPC. Right now my server is running ok, with 6TB storage (2GB ram) doing nightly backups only, but I am assuming to upgrade the OS, and pull off media streaming, I'll need to ramp up the horsepower a bit....

I see most posts recently are using a E5200 CPU...Newegg doesn't have these in stock - where do you find them? Is there a newer processor that I should be considering? Thx in advance to all!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:03 am 

also, I was thinking about 8GB ram but that looks pretty pricey these days...will 2011 be ok running on 4gig?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:46 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

eBay has quite few used 5200's.

Philip

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:08 pm 

pmcd wrote:
eBay has quite few used 5200's.

Philip

Thx Phillip. I went into the old closet and found an ASUS P5 MB with an Core 2 Duo 6400 processor...its a socket 775...would this processor work in the EX490?

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next