It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:57 am 

Hello, I'd like to run by you guys what I'm doing and I'm hoping I'm just missing something you can point out.
I have a two year old EX495 w/ VGA, PS/2, and 4 GB of RAM. I don't have any important data on the drives. I was looking around in the BIOS at the RAID settings. I put 3 disks in while seeing if there was some way to get RAID 1 to show up (like in an HP MicroServer you enable RAID, reboot and then there's a new option for RAID in the POST). I enabled RAID and rebooted a few times looking around in the BIOS. Then one time it won't boot at all and it hasn't booted since. I was experimenting with lots of settings trying to get the messages to go by more slowly. Now I get no lights on the keyboard, no power supply fan, no VGA, no LEDs. I did normal sorts of troubleshooting like re-seating the RAM, and replacing the RAM with the original 2 GB DIMM. I removed the battery and left it unplugged all day hoping the BIOS would go back to factory and it would boot. No change.
Is there a jumper to reset the CMOS? I've never toasted a MB just changing settings in the BIOS; is it more likely on this system than others?
I can check the power supply with a volt meter using the instructions at http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... wer_Supply. It could be a coincidence the power supply happened to fail while I was restarting the system multiple times.
If I did toast the mother board is my only choice to replace it out of warranty with HP? Can anyone recommend a shop that can perform component repairs on the board or the power supply?
Any thoughts you folks have are welcome.
Thanks!
Vinc :hp:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:02 pm 

Hi pfloyd welcome to the forums and sorry to hear about your issue....

Personally I would be more interested in the PSU and see if it will start. Testing the voltage levels is one thing but its possible to test well and not be fully functional once you place a load on it. You could also purchase a PSU in the listing and rewire it to work with your server to see if it resolves your issue or you can purchase a direct replacement PSU from Overtek LTD who is the only supplier of direct replacement PSU's I am aware of and that I can personally vouch for because I have one of their PSU's.

As for HP you can certainly try contacting them and see if they will still service your unit. I have in the past purchased 3 EX470's which were not functional 2 had a failed PSU and the other I believe has a BIOS issue. While these are not EX495's they are similar as far as the PSU and enclosure. I would be willing to bet the PSU is the issue which is why I would not hesitate to test out the PSU.

Good Luck and please let us know what you find.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
pfloyd
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:07 pm 

Hi Comp1962, thanks for your valuable advice.
Interestingly, when I unhook the PSU, apply power and short pins 1 & 2 the PSU fan starts. I checked voltage on the other pins and they match the voltages in the wiki article. I remove the power, re-attach the cable to the system board, then attach power and I get nothing. I understand what you mean about the PSU not operating under load. Hmmm. It could still be either.

I called HP to get an idea of what the Out of Warranty charges would be. The guy I spoke with didn't have enough answers. The fee for repair evaluation is $65 including shipping. They apply $30 of that to the repair once they know what the charge would be. He had no typical charges or "worst case" numbers. If the repair is more than the server is worth I'm out $65 and they return the unit.

I think I'm going to hack up an older, working PSU to match the pin-outs the system board needs and see if that works. If it's really the power supply that failed I'll order a decent one from Overtek. If I get nothing I'll probably send it to HP.

Is there a US source for the Overtek other than their ebay store (http://stores.ebay.com/OverTek-Ltd)?

Thanks again

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:19 am 

If Overtek has the PSU instock they ship quickly and the delivery time is actually quite quick. Of course I am on the east coast so if your further west it could be longer but as I recall when they sent me a PSU it arrived with in 1 week.

There are suppliers that claim to sell direct replacement PSU's and I have in past tried contacting them for verification but I never received a reply. Things maybe different since that time but if you have the ability to rewire and terminate the wires not needed then purchasing a PSU which will fit into your MSS is a cost effective way to replace the PSU but you will void the waranty.

As for a turn around cost from HP there are some who have sent their units in for repair and have posted what they have paid on this site. While I do not recall the exact numbers I believe the costs floated around $250.

Good Luck and I hope it just turns out to be a PSU issue for you.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
pfloyd
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:10 pm 

This is to follow-up on my small adventure in MediaSmart troubleshooting.
The Overtek PSU arrived promptly and was as advertised. I have a spare now and it's probably a good thing.
It turns out the system board was the source of my problems. I ended up using HP out of warranty repair service. I spent a bit more than I'd like but the system is working great now. I'd be happier with HP if every step of the way had gone faster than FedEx Ground and if there were a way to call and check the status of the repair. I was frustrated one time in particular when I had a hard time getting a customer service guy on the phone and he made me recite my address, email, the serial number, service order, etc. just so he could tell me he doesn't have access to status on out of warranty repairs. Clearly, he could have told me he has no way to know even if I weren't authorized to be asking about this repair. Whew.
Thanks to Comp1962 for the advice.
Vinc

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank pfloyd for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:38 am 

Good to hear you were able to get your server repaired and that HP is still performing repairs.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks