It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:55 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I am getting ready to release the next beta of Home Server SMART 2012, and I need your help. As many of you are well aware, the beta 2.2.1.21 (and earlier) does not correctly report SMART results for Solid State Disks (SSDs). This is because, before a few weeks ago, I never even considered SSDs or the fact they would report completely different data.

I managed to acquire some SSDs, but much to my dismay I found there are many different controller manufacturers and they all have their own sets of attributes. And when OCZ acquired Indilinx last year and came out with the new Indilinx Everest controllers, they changed the attributes, so some vendors have multiple sets!

The long and short of it is that I cannot afford to buy SSDs from all these companies, which is necessary to ensure complete coverage of the various controller manufacturers. Intel, Indilinx, SandForce, Micron, JMicron, Stec and others...there are a lot of different attribute sets out there!

OCZ, for instance, has SandForce and Indilinx Everest controllers; Crucial seems to favor Micron and Intel uses, well, Intel.

That said, is there anybody here in on MediaSmartServer.net who would be willing to run Home Server SMART code to examine their SSD and report back to me? Basically I want to make sure that I 1) correctly determine the controller manufacturer and therefore 2) display the correct set of attributes in the UI.

You don't even need to be running an SSD in your home server. If you have an SSD in any computer at all, you can test. Here's how!

If you are running a home server with WHS 2011 (or SBS 2011 Essentials/Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials) and there's an SSD in it, you can use the Home Server SMART 2012 beta code that I hope to have available in the next week.

If you don't have an SSD in your server BUT you've got one in a desktop or laptop, I've created a Windows Forms-based UI that contains much of the Home Server SMART 2012 code, but can be run in 64-bit editions of Windows Vista and Windows 7. This "WindowSMART" application was built mainly for me to use as a means of testing code on the development PC before pushing it onto my home servers, but anybody can run it.

Ideally, at a bare minimum, I would at least like to ensure I get coverage of the most common/popular consumer class SSDs. Right now, that seems to be OCZ, Intel, Crucial, Patriot Memory, Kingston, Corsair and SanDisk. Sure, the goal is actually to ensure I properly cover the controllers -- for instance, I have an OCZ Agility3 and an OCZ Octane -- the former uses a SandForce controller; the latter, an Indilinx Everest. That's all I am able to test and validate, leaving all the other controllers out there untested by me. And that leads to bad software. So if anyone is willing to volunteer to run either the HSS 2012 beta or the WindowSMART test UI, your help will be greatly appreciated--and hopefully should require very, very little of your time. Mostly you would just need to run the tool, take screen caps and email them back to me.

If anyone is willing to volunteer, please let me know!

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:38 am 
Founder
Founder

Matt, should people post here in the forums, send you a PM, email you? I'll put up a blog post and wanted to check on your preferred method of contact as not all blog readers are members of the forums.

Also, I have two Intel SSDs in my desktop but I doubt they'll expose SMART data since they are behind my RAID controller in a RAID0 striped array. I'm willing to try it though.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:05 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I’ve got an OCZ Vertex 2 3.5″ in my DataVault X510 and I’ll gladly help.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:36 pm 

I don't have an SSD in my WHS 2011 server, but I do have one in my laptop, so if you want, I can help you using that tool, if you send it to me.

Kind regards,
Robert

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:56 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Please shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you instructions. In the email I cover a number of items such as known issues, items fixed from the previous beta, how to collect and send the logs, etc.

If you'd like to get started right away, here are the links. Please don't forget the PM!

Home Server SMART 2012 (runs on WHS 2011, SBS 2011 Essentials and Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials)
http://wiki.dojonorthsoftware.net/Home_ ... SMART_2012

WindowSMART 2012 (desktop client, functionally identical to HSS - currently available in 64-bit only)
http://wiki.dojonorthsoftware.net/WindowSMART_2012

WindowSMART should run on Windows Vista, 7, Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2. I've not tried it on Windows 8, although I've got the Windows 8 Customer Preview beta downloaded. If someone has Windows 8 installed and wants to try it, please feel free to go ahead. :)

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks