It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:20 pm 
Founder
Founder

I'll start by telling you what I'd like to see next: more contributions of important information to the MediaSmartServer.net Wiki!.

What would you like to see next here at MediaSmartServer.net? Is there anything missing? Are things great the way they are? Rather than make this a poll, I'm more interested in hearing what you the members have to say in a free-form fashion.

Here's some ideas I've been tossing around:
    * Upgrade to a more powerful forum software (VBulletin, etc)
    * Implement Google Adsense (or a custom ad mechanism) for offset of costs, to provide links to those sought after CPU, memory, and HDD upgrades, as well as opportunity for vendors to get visibility here for their products
    * Chat application for real-time support and discussion (if anyone would be willing/able to participate)
    * Develop more add-ins or update Remote Notification
    * Leave things the hell alone, it's all working fine and we're all busy enough as it is! :D

What are your thoughts?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:17 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I know wegotserved has a list of add-ins, but I'd like to see a forum with stickies on each addin, with links and reviews of each add-in.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:29 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

a java based chat would be sweet, in case we run into problems at home some cool guy who know more than us could help us troubleshoot... would be useful

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:38 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I may be in the minority, but:

"Leave things the hell alone, it's all working fine and we're all busy enough as it is! Very Happy"

If the expense is a problem then I would not be opposed to an unobtrusive "custom ad mechanism for offset of costs, to provide links to those sought after CPU, memory, and HDD upgrades". Problem generally is that once this starts, profit becomes a driver and then the board goes radidly downhill.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:36 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

How about improving the community aspect of the website?

My suggestion is a little different because I would like to see a social improvement. Yeah software improvements sound great, and hardware ideas can be enlightening, but how about getting some HP engineers in on some of the conversations? I would love to hear their perspective on a few things. It sounds there there are some individuals who have close ties to HP but are very secret about it? I would love it if they were more involved in some of the conversations.

I, for one, would love to congratulate some of the HP engineers who worked on such a great product but also ask them questions about the Windows versus Linux aspect between the MSS and the Media Vaults. If its top-secret info, fine....but tell me its top secret. I would also appreciate an engineers comments over some standard marketing/sales stuff.

Just a thought I guess. There are several companies (Microsoft to name one of them) who already do somethig similar. It really helps build a good community. Once you have a good community, you do not have to worry so much about the software or hardware behind it.

Just a thought.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:11 am 
Mr. XXX

I would like to see the stuff thats there now fixed...

Thats all....

So I would agree with the user that said"...leave things the hell alone..."

CFI ESata 4 Bay Enclosure
San Digital 4 Bay Enclosure-USB ( for backup )
3 Apple TVs - Streaming from MSS
2 Xbox 360 - Streaming from MSS

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:41 pm 
Founder
Founder

JesD wrote:

I don't know if I understand this, what needs to be fixed?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:49 pm 
Founder
Founder

cakalapati wrote:
How about improving the community aspect of the website?

My suggestion is a little different because I would like to see a social improvement. Yeah software improvements sound great, and hardware ideas can be enlightening, but how about getting some HP engineers in on some of the conversations? I would love to hear their perspective on a few things. It sounds there there are some individuals who have close ties to HP but are very secret about it? I would love it if they were more involved in some of the conversations.

I, for one, would love to congratulate some of the HP engineers who worked on such a great product but also ask them questions about the Windows versus Linux aspect between the MSS and the Media Vaults. If its top-secret info, fine....but tell me its top secret. I would also appreciate an engineers comments over some standard marketing/sales stuff.

Just a thought I guess. There are several companies (Microsoft to name one of them) who already do somethig similar. It really helps build a good community. Once you have a good community, you do not have to worry so much about the software or hardware behind it.

Just a thought.

So, I was the Lead Test Engineer on the MediaSmart Server until I left HP a couple weeks ago, and JRock is self-aknowledged an engineer on the team. I've tried to be as transparent as possible, without disclosing any trade secrets, and will continue to do so.

Unfortunately HP has traditionally not supported environments such as this, official or unofficial. Lee made his MediaVault community and was part of my inspiration to make this community.

In short, it's really out of my power to get HP engineers involved, I've even had little success asking the marketing team to provide me with the press releases they give to sites like WeGotServed. :( I believe it boils down to perceived liability on HP's part.

I'd recommend that you ask any questions or provide kudos to HP; trust me they are reading these boards. :) I still have channels into the MSS team and can send in requests, though I don't know if they'll be willing to work with me or not, but it can't hurt to try.

My final thought is that yes, MS has a decent forum/community where their developers sometimes post, but trust me you aren't getting anything NEAR transparency...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:24 pm 
Founder
Founder

necro wrote:
I know wegotserved has a list of add-ins, but I'd like to see a forum with stickies on each addin, with links and reviews of each add-in.

Done, at least the initial part. Now it's up the the members to create a topic for their favorite add-ins. 8)

I like the idea of the Java chat for real-time interaction, but it'll likely take me a little while to get that implemented.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:58 pm 

Upgrade to VB, there are lots of mods to make this more of a community. Check out a site I do for work www.tamiya3speed.com

I would say stay away from ads if possible if you have to make them small and make sure they do not slow pages down.

As far as chat, it's a good idea and pretty simple to get going but I can not say it will be used alot. Some sites I have designed it has and some not so much. Problem with chat is some people use this to find solutions and the solution is already on the board. so the question gets asked 1000 times.....

just my 2 cents...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:03 pm 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for the feedback, and nice truck site! :) Those are some good points on the chat, I don't want people to be too lazy to read the board so they just post for help in the chat, I envisioned it more as an instant-feedback way for members to help troubleshoot. I'll have to think on that one some more...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:27 pm 
Mr. XXX

yakuza wrote:
JesD wrote:

I was referring to the data corruption bug and the unknow reason why SHADOW COPIES was disabled

CFI ESata 4 Bay Enclosure
San Digital 4 Bay Enclosure-USB ( for backup )
3 Apple TVs - Streaming from MSS
2 Xbox 360 - Streaming from MSS

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:43 pm 
Founder
Founder

JesD wrote:
yakuza wrote:
JesD wrote:

I was referring to the data corruption bug and the unknow reason why SHADOW COPIES was disabled

Ahh, well that's out of my control obviously. :D

As I've said before, though, shadow copies are disabled on ALL OEM SYSTEMS, not just the MSS, it's due to the sysprep process. Shadow copies were also never an advertised feature of WHS, so I personally don't find their absence as disturbing as some others do.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:59 am 

As someone new to the site I wouldn't be comfortable suggesting how to change it.

However, that being said, I will say it's pretty darn good just the way it is. Simple, informative and friendly - to me, that's the way a forum should be.

I found this site while researching MSS, joined and have been back every day since then. The information here made my decision to purchase very easy. I am now the proud owner of a MSS and look forward to being a part of this community!

Technophyle

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:01 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Don't know if this can be done - but it would be nice if there was a "Mark all Posts Read" link from the top level or maybe the "View Posts Since Last Visit" view.

Thanks