It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Do you plan to get an Amazon Kindle Fire?
Yes 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Prefer an iPad 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Prefer a laptop 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Prefer something else 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Why should I care? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:14 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

There was a lot of discussion about the use of the iPad in our environments, what about Amazon's Kindle Fire? Anyone plan to pick one up? How do you plan to use it?

I hope to have one within two weeks. Obviously it can be used for the Amazon content (books, movies, etc.) and as an internet browser. Would be neat if I could use it to access my MSS (and PCs) remotely.

Also, anyone seen a good Forum for Fire discussions yet? I have looked around but have not seen much...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:02 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

It will be interesting to see how much general support Amazon offers for the Fire. It is not an Android tablet, but an Amazon specific hybrid.

Don't get me wrong, I think they will move a boatload of them - but I don't see them as a competitor to the iPad or other Android tablets. It's aimed at a totally different purpose.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:27 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I'm perfectly happy with my iPad first generation and my HP TouchPad that I got at the fire sale. Both have Kindle installed on them, so whichever one I have with me, my Amazon books are available to me. That said, I think I'll pass on the Fire.

With all due respect, however, I think it's a smart move by Amazon. They'll make a decent profit, and people who want a tablet on the cheap will get one.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:06 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Well, I have it and I like it! Still learning but I think it will meet my needs.

I have a "regular" Kindle which is great. (Much longer battery life --weeks-- and I really prefer the screen to the backlit/glossy of the Fire and iPad.)

I do not really have a need for a camera (or even two). I find the 7" screen just fine -- which surprised me, frankly. Seems many of the Android apps do run here, obviously ones depending on SMS messages, GPS and cameras come up a tad short! And as for being a "hybrid", that's at least partly true for most of the Android platforms. Time will tell as to whether the market will attract some specific versions of apps -- and updates to the ones that need them~! Browsing is quick -- quicker than my son-in-law's iPad. Email is a breeze to set up. Haven't seen an app to let me get in to WHS yet -- but the Logmein app is available. (I have not tried it yet.)

The size is definitely easier to carry around than an iPad -- even a bit easier than the Kindle as it does fit in a suit jacket pocket and in breast pockets for my winter vests/jackets. And it fits VERY nicely in my wife's purse. Too nicely actually -- I am in danger of loosing it to her!

My only wish so far would have been that the unit shipped with a cable that had a USB connector into the power adapter! I had to go to RadioShack and get a micro-USB adapter cable today! The really did it right with my other Kindle -- should have done the same here! (And no, the adapter for my other kindle doesn't fit either!)

And the fingerprints drive me nuts! (But they do on an iPad as well!)

Still learning, but I'm happy!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:45 am 

Picked one up for the wife for Christmas. Honestly she doesn't need as we have two iPads (v1 and v2) and an EeePad Transformer in the house. However, the Transformer is mine and the two boys have laid claim to the iPads. I don't think you could get any more of a geek family picture at night when we are all in bed, each one of use with a gadget in hand! My wife usually ends up reading on her iPhone until the boys fall asleep and she can get the iPad back, so I thought a keep tablet like the Fire would be perfect for her. Right now the only thing my wife or really I use our tablets for that relates to our WHS is Remote Potato. I don't think the Remote Potato App is part of the Amazon App store yet, but hopefully I can side load it for her.

I was a little hesitant to get the Fire for her because honestly I don't expect it to stand up anywhere close to the iPad, but I have to remind myself that in reality the Fire is not meant to be compared against the iPad, and for a cheap tablet where media consumption is only needed it should fit the bill.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks