It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:46 pm 

Thought I'd share my V1 build. Nothing massive in the storage department--4.5 TB drive pool, 3TB in backup drives. My server is built around an '03 Abit A17 socket 445 MB. I love this MB, never given me any problems. I have a fanless video card, a sata card, and an Intel gigabit LAN card all running on the MB.

All hail Abit MB's...too bad they stopped making MB's! I wonder how much longer this MB will last, and what I will do when it flakes out.

Also, I've been running Crashplan on this WHS OS for several months, love the setup. I highly recommend Crashplan, but you should do the 30 day trial, so that you can see what your upload speeds will be. As recommended in an article I read, I am backing up mounts of the shares, and not the D drive.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Atari_Hangover for this post
yakuza

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:36 am 
Founder
Founder

My home Linux server is an old Athlon of a similar vintage to your old board and runs solid, gotta appreciate good hardware. 8)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:18 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Crashplan used to be great for me but my upload speeds tanked in the past couple weeks. Down from 17-18 Mbps to ~1 Mbps. What about you?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:57 pm 

Sorry for the late response, I'm still figuring out this forum, and I just noticed the "notify me when a reply is posted" check box. I have been averaging over the last few days 1.5 gbps, which I'm satisfied with. Earlier in the month I had been ranging 750 kb to 1 gbps. I have Crashplan running continuously on the WHS machine and it is not hampering performance of other applications. I also recently installed Speedfan which seems to be the only temp monitor that I could find that works on a P4. Temp seems to max around 50c, which is okay.

I'm using the Comcast Blast service and am located in Fort Collins, CO. I had the "performance" service, but switched to Blast to see if I could get a better upload speed. It did improve. I'm doing what a lot of people do with Comcast -- I call them every 6 months or so and haggle. I don't have cable -- I use that popular digital antenna that is about $20.00 from Monoprice, installed in my attic.

I'm getting 36 mb down and 6 mb up on a client machine speed test, but long uploads in Crashplan offsite eventually slow down to +/- 1 g per second. I'm assuming Comcast forces long uploads to slow down.

BTW, Comcast has a direct forum where you can get Comcast techs to help with your service: https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect

They helped me with a problem I was having with my usage meter -- Comcast limits total usage to 250 G per month. This isn't too much of a problem for me, I'm slowly sending stuff to Crashplan offsite. I guess this makes sense, I don't know. Perhaps some day sustained down/up speeds will be much faster and we'll be able to get a lot of data back in a hurry! For now, I'm gonna max out my 250 g per month. The best solution is more local hard drives (I wish they were cheaper) and building a NAS box, and maybe using the free Crashplan with a local friend in town. That way, if my house burns down, I can go get the hard drives. I can seed the initial backup at my friend's house and then use Crashplan to do incremental backups after that. I just need to find that friend and get the box built (and paid for).

Last edited by Atari_Hangover on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:03 pm 

BTW, 17 to 18 mb per second? Wow, that was some great service!

Thanks