It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:54 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I just got the new Proliant Microserver N40L model. I already have an EX470 that serves as my main home server for backups, media streaming and file sharing. The purpose for the Microserver is to run as a TV Server running BeyondTV, replacing my aging (and noisy) HP Workstation.

The Microserver is sweet! I installed WHS 2011 (OEM) from USB, and after install, basically stripped it of "WHS" services and features, to make it as streamlined and efficient as possible for the intended purpose. It comes with 2GB RAM, I have another 2GB on order. I'll be reusing existing hard drives.

After installing and configuring WHS, I installed the software and drivers for 2 new HD HomeRun HDHR3 dual network tuners. That went smoothly, no issues whatsoever installing under WHS. I then installed BeyondTV, and that was equally painless. It found the network tuners, I configured the channel guide info, and started testing.

I have a new Acer Revo100 I use as a HTPC client, running BeyondTV Link and MediaPortal. Switched BTV Link to connect to the new server and tested out live TV. Worked perfectly. My next test is to do a series of concurrent recordings. I transferred the recording schedule from the old box, and now waiting for recordings to kick in. I am not decommissioning the old workstation until I know everything is 100% stable with the new setup, but so far so good.

The Microserver is a wee bit "fatter/wider" than the old MediaSmart servers, but it's quiet (unlike the EX470). Installing drives is easy, but getting to memory and PCIe slots is a bit more work, having to loosen a couple of thumbscrews, slide the system board tray out, disconnect all cables (which was harder than it sounds, they are tight!), and pulling the system board completely out of the box.

So far I have no complaints about the performance, the 2x1.5GHz cores are doing the job admirably.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:26 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

The form factor of the Proliant Microserver looks great. I'm planning a new build and I don't think I'll get it that small.

Does that box offer any kind of Raid protection? If not, are you using one of the new crop of add-ins for WHS 2011 that replace Drive Extender?

I'm also intrigued by Beyond TV. I've been recording OTA shows on my workstation for years and then using the integration with WHS 1 to auto copy to the server. This is why folks wish that WHS included Media Center within. It appears that Beyond TV lets you get around that.

If I want to record TV directly to a new WHS Server (either via a TV Card or Home Run) how do you structure the Beyond TV purchase? I saw a number of different products and wasn't sure. I want to record direct to the server and then view on satellite HTPCs around the house. Is there a server license and then user licenses?

Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:59 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

The built-in SATA controller should support RAID 0 and 1, but I am not using it. Also I am not using any add-ins for Drive Extender functionality. I am satisfied with using independent drives. I use the Server Backup feature (bare metal backup) to backup the system. I have 2 additional drives installed for recordings. BeyondTV has its own drive pooling feature, which will let you add multiple folders to a recording pool, then BTV manages them both as one large pool to record to.

BeyondTV comes in two forms, the "regular" version, which include the recording both playback and recording services. This can be used as a standalone DVR on a single computer. If you want client/server functionality, you install this version on the server. It will launch all the services needed for recordings etc.

The second form is BeyondTV Link, which is the client-only version. To use this you need a server for it to connect to. You will need one license for each client.

With BeyondTV there is no need to distribute the recordings to multiple places. It will all stream from the server to each client on the fly.

One thing that may be a showstopper for you (it isn't for me, but I have had BeyondTV for years) is that Snapstream has pretty much abandoned new development on the consumer version of this product, so don't expect any new features etc to be developed. Also, it does not contain other HTPC features. No music, online video streaming, plugins etc. It's a DVR and DVR only. And no support for Cable card tuners. They have released some bug fixes and minor updates however. That said, it is one of the most reliable, stable PC based DVR software you'll be able to find.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:17 am 

What did you set the disc controllers to in the bios? I mean IDE or the other one? :) I forgot the TLA for the other one!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:36 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I´ve got a HP Microserver N40L to replace my EX470.
I really love the formfactor of it and are running WHS 2011.

I have collected a couple of links that can be very useful for N36L/N40L users.

HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club!
Link to a looooong thread in OCAU forum.
You will find things like tested raid cards, hacked bios, drivers and so on...

HP N36L/N40L Microserver Updated AHCI BIOS Support.
Here you will find a modified bios that will give you ACHI on SATA port 5 and 6 :D
And yes it works with both N36L and N40L.

Sharkoon Sata Quickport Internal 6-Bay 2.5" hard disk, 5.25" Bay
Skip the ODD and go for 6 extra HDD \:D/

I´m very happy with my N40L, it´s not as noisy as my EX470.
I run WHS 2011 and DriveBender.

APC Smart-UPS 1000 VA

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:22 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

^ thanks for the links...
I hear rumours of an 2.GHz N**L microserver coming out. Anyone got a lead?

Thanks