It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:00 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I tried boxee and this app stinks. It should have never released. You can't see pics, you can't hear music and streaming video is horrible. I have a 20meg pipe and the video streaming is constantly buffering. I tried air-video :sanjuan: its not bad but no pics and music. Can anyone recommend a good iPad app the i can see my pics, movies and listen to my music? Not just from my home but away on trips as well. The one released by istream doesn't work for me anymore since I have uverse and their 2wire modem does not support upnp. When it worked i can see my pics, music but not see any video in mkv format.

Just looking for something that overall works. I have been out of the whs scene for a while so I am sure something good has come up since then.

Thanks for your help in advance

2GB RAM

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:40 pm 

Give Remote Potato a try. http://www.remotepotato.com/

I can confirm it works with both WHS v1 and WHS2011. They do have apps for the iPhone and iPad. I do not have an iPhone or iPad but use it with my HTC EVO Android Phone and it works quite well and you iPad should perform much better.

Good performance will depend on how good your WIFI or MobileBroad Band connections are but if they are solid then you will very much enjoy using Remote Potato.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:33 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Looks good so far. Will this work for my PS3 and XBOX?

2GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:01 pm 

Not really certain about that but what I believe will is Serviio http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/06 ... -released/

I had the pleasure of testing this out shortly after Alex did his write up on it. Its very feature packed and you can even change the location for any transcoding it does to take some load off your C Drive. Give it a try set it up and give it try. I tested it out with a WD TV Live and while that unit does not require any DLNA Servers to pull media from my servers, I found Serviio provided an abundant means of delivering content. So when you do set it up try to be somewhat selective in the options you actually turn on because its pretty packed.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:56 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Comp1962 wrote:
Give Remote Potato a try. http://www.remotepotato.com/

I can confirm it works with both WHS v1 and WHS2011. They do have apps for the iPhone and iPad. I do not have an iPhone or iPad but use it with my HTC EVO Android Phone and it works quite well and you iPad should perform much better.

Good performance will depend on how good your WIFI or MobileBroad Band connections are but if they are solid then you will very much enjoy using Remote Potato.

Any tips or instructions on installing the Remote Potato server software on a WHS 2011?? I have both an iPhone 4 and iPad 2 which I love.

Any downsides?? Any interference with the media streaming capabilities built into WHS2011?? (which I find to be working quite well!)

Thanks for any insights.......John

WHS 2011 with 12 TB storage, 5 connected PCs: 1-Win 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, 2-Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit, 2-Win 7 Home Premium 32 Bit, DLink DIR-655 Wireless N Gigabit Router, HP MediaSmart TV, Roku Media Player, Apple TV2, iPhone 4, iPad2 3G

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:32 pm 

I have Remote Potato running on 2 WHS Servers one running with a Duel Core AMD BE2300 4 GB RAM, the other with a Quad Core AMD X4 955 8 GB of RAM. Both servers stream online and to my Android Phone which I may have already mentioned. The server running with the Quad Core processor is able to stream my Blu Ray Rips online without issue but this is not the case for the server running with a Duel Core Processor. All the movies I stream are MKV and I mention this only to let you know the format I am working with.

I believe the iPhone and iPad software to be better than the Android so this should be a win win for you.

You will need to install the 64 bit Streaming Pack Software which handles all the transcoding. The install and configure the Remote Potato Software. You will need to setup Port Forwarding on your router to accomodate Remote Potato but during the setup thats covered. Actually its quite simple to set up.

Once you have it installed then you will need to setup where your media is stored. For Music it used the Windows Media Player. To get this working properly you will need to enter a user name and password and I used the Administrator User Name and Password. You will then need to set up Windows Media Player to build the music data base for Remote Potato to access.

When your setting it up you can secure access by setting up a User Name and Password. This will keep unwanted people from accessing your media. Three people can stream from Remote Potato at the sametime but the quality of performance will depend on how much horsepower your server actually has.

What I can not tell you about is the TV Streaming Functions because I had Cable TV Disconnected when my yongest moved out since I do not watch much TV and what little I do watch I can get from the internet. I know Damian is working on a write up for Remote Potato so it will be interesting what he has to say about it and I believe he has both an iPhone and iPad or maybe just an iPAD but I believe both.

Once you have Remote Potato functional on your server then you can get the app for your iPhone or iPad and set it up and begin enjoying your media remotely on those devices which I have to believe are better than the Android.

While I like Remote Potato very much I really wish it had individual user accounts for better control for media access much like SubSonic. Maybe this in time will come but from now its all or nothing depending on how you set it up. The other thing I do not like is there are some settings that if changed by someone accessing your Remote Potato Site is can cause some issues with the Movies not showing up. To avoid this headache I would suggest you write down the default settings from the actual Remote Potato Site Settings Area so that if something like I just described happens you will have something to fall back on.

Good Luck with installing Remote Potato and please come back and share your thoughts on it. I do believe you will like it very much and not even bother with the WHS 2011 Streaming Features.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:47 pm 

iPhone + WHS = :deadhorse:
Guys you are really searching troubles

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:52 am 

I've got this all (minus Pictures, sorry, I can't help you there) working no problem.

I have my EX485 hosting my Videos and Music shares. I have a beefier quad-core HP desktop right next to it, with drives mapped to the shares (M:\ is mapped to the Music share, V:\ is mapped to the Videos share, etc.).

I run "Subsonic Music Streamer" on my EX485 to host my music for remote access (locally - D:\Shares\Music\).
I run "iSub" on my iPhone and iPad to access my music.

I run "Air Video Server" on my HP desktop machine to host my videos for remote access (via the network drive - V:\)
I run "Air Video" on my iPhone and iPad to access my videos (stuff I've recorded, downloaded tv shows, downloaded/ripped movies).
I set it up this way because the hardware in the desktop machine is beefier - quad core, etc. to facilitate live conversion of file formats the iDevices "can't play" ;)

I don't have a UPnP router, so I just went into my router's config to forward two ports, one for Subsonic (pointed at the EX485) and one for Air Video (pointed at the HP desktop). Every once in a while I have to re-configure this if the router reboots and assigns new IP addresses to the computers. That's 30 seconds of maintenance once every month or so though, no big deal. And newer routers should be able to use UPnP to handle that automatically.

With my current ISP, I actually had to go into my DSL modem's config and forward those same two ports to the ROUTER (for IT to then forward on to the computers).

I do think I had to spend about $20 on all of the software to do this, but it's SO worth it.

Another alternative would be to set up Splashtop (or GoToMyPC, or whatever) to do remote access to a Windows box in your home, and use the iDevices to remote control that machine and just have VLC/iTunes/whatever playing the files locally, rather than trying to stream them directly.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:22 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I use playon and airvideo. Playon works great on both pcs, gaming consoles, droid and ios. Airvideo is the best for ios (apple products ipad, iphone etcc.). Ive tried remote Potatoe and boxee and they both stink. Trust me on this.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

2GB RAM

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:15 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Have you tried Plex? I just recently (3 days) installed Plex Media Server in my Win 7 pc, scrapped all of my movies and TV shows located in my unraid server, bought the $5 dollar Plex app for my iPad (same app works on iPhone), and now I've got a pretty nice looking jukebox for my iPad / iPhone, and I can play movies and my TV shows within and outside my network. Outside network quality will vary depending on your internet speed.

I also have all of my music in iTune, which it automatically located and recognize ;), but I don't really care for the music part, but Plex can do music as well.

PCI-Intel Pro NIC
CASE-AZZA Helios 910
PSU-Corsair 750W
OS-UnRaid Final V5.0
Storage: 15 TB and growing!

Thanks