It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:29 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Having all sorts of bother with this software and my EX490 :(

I have removed all the drives I have out of my Home Server - I've taken the primary drive and connected that to my HP desktop PC. That process seems to have worked OK, I've called the server simply WHS.

I can see this device on my network, can access it & the folders - can also remotely connect.

However, once I remove the drive and put it back into my Home Server things start to go wrong. I can see the device on my network - but I cannot access it via Windows Explorer or via Remote Desktop Connection.

Can anyone help me out? Not sure where to turn next.

Thanks,
M

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:07 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Did you remove the whs 2011 drive from your desktop when the installation required its 1st reboot and allowed it to finish the setup on the MSS itself? Or did you run the setup start to finish on your desktop?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:11 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

jeffla wrote:
Did you remove the whs 2011 drive from your desktop when the installation required its 1st reboot and allowed it to finish the setup on the MSS itself? Or did you run the setup start to finish on your desktop?

Hi Jeffla - I ran the install from start to finish on the desktop PC.

Do you suggest I start it on the desktop and finish it on the MSS? If so can you tell me at what point I should do that - not 100% clear on what you mean by the first reboot, will that be easy for me to notice?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:17 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I'm not sure if it is necessary to let the MSS finish the setup but all the how to guides I read said to do it that way so I did and it worked as expected. From what I remember, you start off on your desktop and run the install. It will at some point, say a restart is needed to continue the installation. When the computer restarts, just turn it off and stick the drive back in the bottom slot on your MSS. Maybe 5-20mins later you should be able to type in :ipaddress/setup or maybe it was ipaddress/connect and it will finish the installation via Internet Explorer ONLY. In my case I typed in 192.168.20.108/setup

check this link out, different hardware, same idea.
http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/10/31/install-windows-home-server-vail-fujitsusiemens-scaleo-home-server/

Last edited by jeffla on Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:21 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

jeffla wrote:
I'm not sure if it is necessary to let the MSS finish the setup but all the how to guides I read said to do it that way so I did and it worked as expected. From what I remember, you start off on your desktop and run the install. It will at some point, say a restart is needed to continue the installation. When the computer restarts, just turn it off and stick the drive back in the bottom slot on your MSS. Maybe 5-20mins later you should be able to type in :ipaddress/setup or maybe it was ipaddress/connect and it will finish the installation via Internet Explorer ONLY. In my case I typed in 192.168.20.108/setup

Thanks for that - it's worth a try anyway because no matter what I do I can't access the drive after I move it into my MSS.

75% of the way through a fresh install as I type - as I had half an idea the suggestion would be to do a "half & half" install over both the PC and the MSS.

Thanks again for your help. I have my fingers crossed.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:24 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

check out this link, I know it is for different hardware, but the idea is the same.

http://www.wegotserved.com/2010/10/31/install-windows-home-server-vail-fujitsusiemens-scaleo-home-server/

Something to consider if you haven't already is upgrading the CPU from the stock celeron and also add 4gb of ram. The processor upgrade makes a huge difference, but adding 4gb ram has had a noticeable increase in speed as well.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank jeffla for this post
mickyd67
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:33 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Jeffla - many thanks again for your posts.

I reinstalled WHS2011: before the last reboot (before the final step) I turned off my PC removed the HDD and finished the install off in the MSS.

Seems to have worked which I am very happy about - can't help but think though that, as users, we're getting a right raw deal off the likes of Microsoft (and HP) with the difficulty and lack of support in getting this to work.

Thank goodness for sites like that :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:51 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Glad you got it working. I think MS wants us to just buy a new prebuilt machine like we did with our V1 MSS instead of upgrading it to 2011.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:30 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hey,
I read about the trick of taking a new HD and use a desktop for the installation of WHS since the EX495 do not have the keyboard nor the VGA output. So I took a new 2TB disc and plugged in to a desktop with all other discs disconnected. It worked fine and I came to the first reboot, plugged the new disc in to my now complet empty EX495. The Server showed up on my desktop and I opened the server webpage and continued the installation. I got thru the steps with time setting, country codes, password and product key. Everything was ok. It went on all the way to start the installation of the new connection SW for my desktop. This did not work (of course) since the server is blinking with the blue healty LED and the LED for the system disc is not on. I guess the installation is still lacking something. The problem is now that I can not reach the server again.

Anyone tried this and had the same experience?

- Clients running Win7 64 bit

Thanks