It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:19 pm 

Hi everyone,

I am desperately trying to set up our HP EX487 MediaSmart Home Server on my Mac laptop
(running Mac OS X v 10.5.8 ). I already have it working on several PC's in our house but
I'm still trying to get it working on our Mac without success. I already spent a few days
working on this...

When I run the installation package it gives me the infamous "validation error" when trying
to connect to the server. This happens in the "Preferences" window that pops up during
installation, and it gives me the error after I enter the server name and password. Both of these
have been entered correctly and are the same that I used on the PC's.

I began to look into the problem, and a few forums talked about problems with processing
the servername. So I found out the server IP address and did some tests. It turns out that
I can access the server through the website:

http://IP-ADDRESS:55000

(although the software download from there works for Windows only).

I added the IP address to the hostlist on my Mac and now I can also access it via servername:

http://SERVER-NAME:55000

however, I still get a "Validation error" when installing the package. Furthermore, this
webpage does not allow me to access any of the data on the server.

Also, when I open my computer, I see the server listed under "Shared" computers. However,
when I click on it, it tells me "Connection Failed." So I cannot access the data this way.

If I try just accessing the server from a webpage:

http://SERVER-NAME

It tells me "Service Unavailable"

I also tried to enter the IP address in the Preferences window during installation but the
"Server Name" field will not take any periods so I cannot enter it.

Some posts online talked about using a newer version of the installation software
which allows you to enter periods in the IP address, but I went to the HP website:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... ct=3855979

But MacOS is not even listed in the OS choices.

So at this point I don't know what I can do. All I want is to connect to the HP EX487 server from my Mac
so that I can access the data. Why is this so hard?'

Thanks in advance for your help

Tracy

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:07 pm 

Hi TracyM welcome to the forums \:D/

Here is a link to help you get going with the getting the Mac to see your server. Not certain if you have read this or not but figured it was worth a shot to pass it along to you. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... =ot_search

I also recall there was an install program released by HP but at that time I was running an EX470 and I know that at some poing the MAC support features were incorporated into the HP MSS Software. I remember this because it just indicated the MAC needed to be running OS X but never indicated which version which I believe turned out to be 10.5. I was quite bummed because my MAC runs OS X 10.3.

I remember I did not have all that much difficulty getting my MAC to access my shares and I would set the MAC to map to those shares but unfortunately those mapped folders would vanish after my MAC rebooted. Still not a big deal.

One thing that may help you find your server easily is to reserver the IP Number from the router so the server will always be given the same IP Number.

Wish I could be more helpful but I felt the need to try to point you to how HP Documents getting the MAC to work. Also while your on the HP Site there are some updates there that help correct some issue with Time Machine that you may or may not need in your software. I think if your running the newer 3.0 your probably ok but if your running the original 2.5 then you may need the updates.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:09 pm 

On the OS just select Windows Home Server.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:06 pm 

TracyM wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am desperately trying to set up our HP EX487 MediaSmart Home Server on my Mac laptop
(running Mac OS X v 10.5.8 ). I already have it working on several PC's in our house but
I'm still trying to get it working on our Mac without success. I already spent a few days
working on this...

--------
--------

So at this point I don't know what I can do. All I want is to connect to the HP EX487 server from my Mac
so that I can access the data. Why is this so hard?'

Thanks in advance for your help

Tracy

Hi TracyM,

To access the data on the HP server you do not need the HP software installer.

From Mac OS X you can access your data to connect to your server (and any Windows server!) in the following way:
On top of the Mac screen click: 'Go' > 'Connect to Server' (or use the shortcut Command K)

In the Server Address field type:
smb://HPSERVER or smb://IPADDRESS then click 'Connect'
(HPSERVER: type name of your server, IPADRES: type the IP Address of your server)

Then fill in a username & password that has access to your server.

You should get a window with your shared folders (e.g.: Music, Photo's, Video's, Software etc.)
Click on the shared folder you want to connect and click on 'OK'

I'll add some screen captures (I have Mac OS 10.6, but 10.5 should look more ore less the same.

My latest HP Mac Installer is in the Software folder, on my server it called 'HP MSS Client.dmg.
If you copy it to your Mac you could try that installer (BTW I have EX490 version 3.3.135443, yours could be different)

Attachments:
Screen shot 2011-07-27 at 20.01.09.JPG
Screen shot 2011-07-27 at 20.01.09.JPG [ 31.67 KiB | Viewed 7999 times ]
Screen shot 2011-07-27 at 20.01.44.JPG
Screen shot 2011-07-27 at 20.01.44.JPG [ 32.78 KiB | Viewed 7999 times ]
Thanks