It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: EX490 Recovery error
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:25 pm 

Long time reader first time needing help.

Long story short while trying to setup a VPN I managed to disable the remote access and routing service using RDP. I then stupidly rebooted the server...5 minutes later the network health light was blinking red and I was unable to connect using Home server connector.

So I guess I need to do a server restore, and I have tried about 8 times using my Win7 pc.

1. The PC and server are connected directly by a normal network cable
2. All firewall software is disabled in all profiles
3. All USB devices have been removed
4. The other network port in the PC has been disabled

Recovery first had a failed at step 3 error, but is now repeatedly giving me a failed at step 2 error.

Ive read that if I remove the system drive and delete the partition on it that should help.

If it does work will it I then have to reformat the 3 other data drives to rebuild the server?

Any other suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: EX490 Recovery error
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:49 pm 

If your performing a SERVER RECOVERY then your data will be preserved just make certain that your storage pool drives are connected when you perform the recovery.

If your performing a FACTORY RECOVERY then you will LOSE YOUR DATA if the storage pool drives are connected as WHS will reformat them before it will use them again.

If you prefer to start over and perform a FACTORY RECOVERY and not lose your data simply remove the Storage Pool Drives from the server install them in a client and set it to be able to view hidden files and folders. This will expose the folder DE and within DE there will be other folders where your storage pool data can be found. You can then copy the data to a safe location after which you can reuse the storage pool drives which will be reformatted and then you can copy the data back to the recovered server.

Most users prefer to use the SERVER RECOVERY option above to preserve their data. However its worth noting that if your data only resides on the server and no where else then your data is not backed up even though its duplicated in the server. A backup means the data exists in two places and if you would can also be stored in 2 locations. Some backup their data to removable drives, others to the cloud and others like me on CD, DVD, external and removable drives or combination of Optical Media and Hard Drives. I also utilize multiple servers to store data for aditional redundancy of my most important data. How you chose to do it is upto you just make certain that your data exists in multiple places so that if your server happens to burn up so to speak that you will still have access to your data.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:54 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi
I have just run a recovery on my 490 successfully or so I thought, when I logged back in all of my drives were empty?
My understanding before reading this post was that the recovery option simply dealt with the problem on the system disk not the shares.
Can they be brought back to life or have they been formatted?
Fingers crossed,

indeed..

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:48 am 

Just to recap there are two types of recoveries one preserves your data the other does not. If you performed a FACTORY RECOVERY then your data is gone. This is where the true meaning of having a backup really has true meaning. If you have you data backed up then you can of course place it back on the server.

If you did perform a Server Recovery to preserve your data and your shares are not showing up then shut the server down, pull the Storage Pool Drives and install them in another computer. Make certain your computer can see hidden files and folders so you can examine the contents of the folder DE. In DE you will find the shares and if your files are still there then they will exist on one or more drives at which time you can copy your files from them.

One thing I do have to ask you and that is when you performed the Recovery were all your storage pool drives connected to the server?

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:56 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi
Thanks for the quick reply, I would like to reply - of course I pulled all of the drives out.
That would be a lie though.
I did not pull them so I have lost the data?

indeed..

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:21 am 

Just check the drives out to confirm what you have or have not lost is all you can do right now. I wish I could put a positive spin on this but if you do not see your data then unfortunately its lost and hopefully you have backups to copy back to the server.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:02 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

All gone, I have checked the drives and although the DE is showing it is only the new software folders.
I suppose I should have checked here before following the instructions on the dvd.
4gigs gone. No music, I will have to rerip it all again. Photos are backed up on external drive and flickr so they are safe.
I wonder how much I will notice I am missing?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:27 pm 

Its unfortunate you lost your data but sometimes starting off on a new footing its not always a bad thing. Still the lose of any data is a horrible thing I wish on no one.

Having said that, take the opertunity to learn from the experience. It appears your photos were backed up and so easily put back. Your music exists on CD's so you can re-rip them but its still a time consuming process. This is a good time to give some thought to a backup plan so that your data is protected should another mishap occur in future. Some use the Cloud, others use non-managed hard drives, others use Optical Media and me I use a mix of unmanaged drives and optical media.

There is no right or wrong way to approach this just chose an approach which works best for you.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks