It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:21 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

My EX485 has been getting more & more unreliable over the last few months, and over the last week seems to have just given up altogether. Over the last few days, a reboot brings it up but then within a short time frame it becomes unresponsive and I can't see anything in RDP, and of course the WHS Console is unresponsive.

Knew this day was coming but was hoping not quite yet, but it's clearly time for a new build of some kind. Trying to figure out what the best options are - WHS 2011 DIY? Move to a Linux NAS variant? My needs are similar to many:

• Stream audio & video - preferably in an iTunes compatible way
  • Backup a few computers
  • Store various files such as software downloads
  • Include some provision to be able to read files in Windows in case of a server failure

I'm seeing some of the promising reports about a DE replacement for WHS 2011 but have lately experienced more of the problems that DE caused (stuttering/pausing of streams, and I suspect it also causes Vuze to lose track of pieces of files) so I'm wondering about a RAID solution. I have a bit of trepidation about RAID over the fact that the drives are not natively readable in Windows once the RAID is built, so given the last requirement above a RAID setup would need to be regularly backed up to a separate non-RAID drive setup.

Comments, recommendations welcome.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:17 pm 
Founder
Founder

I'd suspect a failing hard drive, which would be cheap and easy to replace. There are numerous discussions on this in the Troubleshooting forum, where I'll move this topic as well. Hopefully others will chime in with replies to your questions about a replacement.

Thanks