It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:39 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have a ex490 and am using it extensively for both windows and mac. I love to use it for time machine backups. Is this still possible in Lion. I thought maybe soem of you guys tried the Lion preview.

Thxxx for the response.

Last edited by molier on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:49 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Lion has the same architecture as Snow Leopard the only difference is the UI (as fas as i can tell). I dont see any reason why i wouldn't.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:36 am 

cubanblood wrote:
Lion has the same architecture as Snow Leopard the only difference is the UI (as fas as i can tell). I dont see any reason why i wouldn't.

I could be wrong, but isn't Lion a 64 bit OS only? I have to run SL on the 32 bit kernel for MSS stuff work right...so that could be an issue.

Anyone running a dev version of Lion tried this out?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:09 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Even though Lion is a 64 bit OS it backs up with no problem. You are still using time machine to back up. TM still sees the mac folder in WHS (i dont use WHS 2001). The only problem i have encountered was that some times Time Machine freezes up but the same thing happened when using an USB external hdd. I already sent a report to Apple about it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:54 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

cubanblood wrote:
Even though Lion is a 64 bit OS it backs up with no problem. You are still using time machine to back up. TM still sees the mac folder in WHS (i dont use WHS 2001). The only problem i have encountered was that some times Time Machine freezes up but the same thing happened when using an USB external hdd. I already sent a report to Apple about it.

Thxx for the response. You don't use WHS 2001. So you are using WHS 2003 ( based on Windows 2003 Server) on a HP Media Smart Server?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:03 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

molier wrote:
cubanblood wrote:

Thxx for the response. You don't use WHS 2001. So you are using WHS 2003 ( based on Windows 2003 Server) on a HP Media Smart Server?

EX495.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank cubanblood for this post
molier, molier
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:05 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

molier wrote:
cubanblood wrote:

I found a similar thread on the Apple discussion forum stating the backup on a Media Smart Servervwold not be possible: https://discussions.apple.com/message/15385952

Is he testing an earlier version of Lion and could it be Apple fixed this with a later Lion build?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:11 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

EX495
-----

Saw your answer a little late. Great to hear it works then.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:37 am 

cubanblood wrote:

Thanks...

Just to confirm, you used the regular MSS software on a Lion install and got TM working basically no problem? I was running the 64 bit SL kernel and it wouldn't see the Mac folder on my WHS as a valid TM destination until i booted under the 32 bit kernel. I read the HP kext is 32 bit only and under SL, the kext wouldn't work unless you run the 32 bit kernel.

Perhaps Apple has found a way to bridge that so that not all kexts have to be 64 bit to work under Lion?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:37 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

It will be interesting to know the answer to this. But, I went ahead and got one of the new 2TB Time Capsules that just came out. For $299, it's worth it to me to have something that just works with my Macs, and I don't have to mess around with it anymore, or worry about what happens when Lion comes out. Using an Apple supported solution means I don't have to waste any time worrying about my backups working or being easily available during OS upgrades. I just don't want to deal with it anymore, and the Time Capsule works. Plus, my beloved D-link DIR-655 router was starting to have issues, so I was in need of a router anyways. (Time Capsule does not have the level of tweakability and in not uPNP, which is a bit of a pain, but it works.)

Anyways, that's my 2 cents. Giving up on Time Machine on WHS. Just not worth the hassle anymore.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:51 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Ok I have to say that Lion GM did killed the TM backup option. Since i am moving away from WHS and into a Win 7 server it does not affect me much.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:08 pm 

To make it more clear - the final release version of Lion has broken the HP TimeMachine implementation. I happen to be using an EX480 with HP v3.0.x software.

The HP MSS software and prefpanel load OK on Lion, but the "drive" isn't mounting.

[edit]
After further research, not only will the HP software not work correctly, we are all completely boned with Lion. Lion makes TimeMachine require an AFP v3.3 server, which WHS is not. Even the old hacks that allowed you to use an SMB share without the HP software don't work. :(

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:22 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Sadly, we're not alone.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/21/a-few-na ... s-in-lion/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:33 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I contacted HP about it. No answer yet.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:51 pm 

As mentioned above Lion now requires AFP 3.3. While I'd love to think MS would update the original version of WHS I don't think that's likely.

Thanks