It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: Andromeda
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:47 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

cavediver wrote:
psxstudio wrote:
cavediver,

How good is norco's exchange policy? I just got my norco 4220 setup and all 5 of the backplanes are not powering up... I started to see some smoke from one of the backplanes and I just pulled the plug to shut the system down. Hope mobo and the cpu is okay. Sigh...

JB

Norco is very good at replacing defective parts. Call them and tell them the problem. They love to see pictures of defects if the defect is visible and they'll want to see your purchase invoice.

Okay. Thanx for the info. I emailed them last night but I'll definitely give them a call. I pulled the backplanes out of the case and few of the boards are slightly melted/smeared I believe. I'll take pics.

JB

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:49 am 

@ Cavediver,

So with the news of DE (and assuming all the community uproar doesn't change a thing), what are you thinking about for the future to replace Andromeda?

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:59 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
@ Cavediver,

So with the news of DE (and assuming all the community uproar doesn't change a thing), what are you thinking about for the future to replace Andromeda?

I don't know yet. And I'm having trouble adding the last 2 of 32 DE drives to Andromeda. I added drives 29 & 30 last weekend without any problems and have been trying to add the last two since last night, but I'm getting several errors when I try to add the last 2 drives. The first error is that the drive cannot be formatted because another process or service is using the drive, then I get an error that the storage manager service has stopped and then an error message that the backup service has stopped. When I pull the last two drives, everything works fine. I've been looking around at alternatives, but whatever it is I'm going to have to learn a whole new ball game. I'm extremely disappointed with MS and their antics with WHS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:07 pm 

cavediver wrote:
dbone1026 wrote:
@ Cavediver,

I don't know yet. And I'm having trouble adding the last 2 of 32 DE drives to Andromeda. I added drives 29 & 30 last weekend without any problems and have been trying to add the last two since last night, but I'm getting several errors when I try to add the last 2 drives. The first error is that the drive cannot be formatted because another process or service is using the drive, then I get an error that the storage manager service has stopped and then an error message that the backup service has stopped. When I pull the last two drives, everything works fine. I've been looking around at alternatives, but whatever it is I'm going to have to learn a whole new ball game. I'm extremely disappointed with MS and their antics with WHS.

Ouch, and drives 1-30 are already 2TB drives? Shawshank is full but I still have about half the drives which are either 1 or 1.5TB drives, so I am slowly replacing with 2TB drives which should hold me over for a while. After that I would probably have to get an eSATA case since my WHS case only holds 16 drives. I have a spare HTPC that I am thinking about turning into a server testing station, so will start looking at WHS + Flexraid (although the fact that Vail may eventually die off has me a little hesitant). Other then that I guess I will look at UnRAID, Amahi, or other. I woud hate to go away from WHS not just because of the ease of JBOD but because I use it for many other things (running YAMJ, Remote, SageTV Server, possible TV Tuner farm, etc...). Not thinking too highly of MS these days!!!

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:50 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Okies... took some pics of the backplane. It looks like where the led light and the end of board area got fried... as well as power plug area. I tried to call Norco but I think they are closed today. =[ No one is picking up the phone. LOL

JB

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:22 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I'm at a loss right now. I should be able to add the last two drives, but something is preventing it and I haven't been able to figure out what the problem is. I added a new Rosewill 5 bay esata box last weekend to accommodate a few more drives. I'm wondering if it's something in that box. However, drive 30 is in the Rosewill box and is doing fine.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:44 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Quick Q cavediver,

Since I can't use the backplanes atm (need to get them replaced)... I was thinking of hooking up the drives to the internal sata ports. Since I was gonna hook up 4 drives from 1 backplane to the mobo ports using the reverse breakout cable, how is the port arranged on the backplane. I was looking at the back of the backplane and I see it labeled as HDD1-4 (from right to left). The reverse breakout cable is labeled 0-1-2-3. So, im guessing HDD-1 = 0, HDD-2 = 1 and so forth? If I hook up HD's to sata ports 1 and 2 and once I get the replacement backplanes, I can just hook up the drives from right to left?

JB

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:38 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

psxstudio wrote:
Quick Q cavediver,

Since I can't use the backplanes atm (need to get them replaced)... I was thinking of hooking up the drives to the internal sata ports. Since I was gonna hook up 4 drives from 1 backplane to the mobo ports using the reverse breakout cable, how is the port arranged on the backplane. I was looking at the back of the backplane and I see it labeled as HDD1-4 (from right to left). The reverse breakout cable is labeled 0-1-2-3. So, im guessing HDD-1 = 0, HDD-2 = 1 and so forth? If I hook up HD's to sata ports 1 and 2 and once I get the replacement backplanes, I can just hook up the drives from right to left?

JB

I'm not sure from what direction you're looking at the backplanes and I'm assuming your box has the new backplanes with the mini sas connector in the middle? If so, I'm not sure how they're aligned. Mine, (older style with mini sas connector on the far left [facing the front of the box]), are aligned 1-4 left to right. Anyway, it really doesn't matter as you can test them out and move them around once you've figured out the layout.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:53 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I'm looking at the case from the front and yeah, I do have the newer backplanes. Thanx.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:01 pm 

Little late to the game but nice work man.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:14 am 

cavediver wrote:
dbone1026 wrote:
@ Cavediver,

I think the reason why you may not be able to get the 2 maybe due to the 3ware cable you used. If the drives your trying to add are on the backplane you are using that 3ware reverse breakout cable then I would change it out if you have the available SATA ports on your motherboard with NORCO C-SFF8087-4S Discrete to SFF-8087 (Reverse breakout) Cable or other similar cable. Here is the one offered by Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6816133033

I am not certain if I am correct or not but I do remember your using the 3ware cable to connect one of your backplanes to the motherboard and it has only 2 SATA Connectors on it not the 4 like the cable I mentioned. Kindly let me know if I am right about the cable connection on your server. If I am right then you should be able to correct it. If I am wrong I apologize in advance.

For me I opted to go with 3 MV8's on my current build.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:07 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Comp1962 wrote:
I think the reason why you may not be able to get the 2 maybe due to the 3ware cable you used. If the drives your trying to add are on the backplane you are using that 3ware reverse breakout cable then I would change it out if you have the available SATA ports on your motherboard with NORCO C-SFF8087-4S Discrete to SFF-8087 (Reverse breakout) Cable or other similar cable. Here is the one offered by Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6816133033

I am not certain if I am correct or not but I do remember your using the 3ware cable to connect one of your backplanes to the motherboard and it has only 2 SATA Connectors on it not the 4 like the cable I mentioned. Kindly let me know if I am right about the cable connection on your server. If I am right then you should be able to correct it. If I am wrong I apologize in advance.

For me I opted to go with 3 MV8's on my current build.

No. The last two drives would go in a 3rd TR4M. I have the 30th drive in the 3rd TR4M, but can't add the last two drives to the pool. I get an error message indicating the drives are being used by another process. I can add non-pool drives without any problem.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:51 pm 

Sorry for the confusion on my part. Thats a bummer and a major frustration. Just to get to he defining moment of being able to max out the drives too.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:33 pm 

dont mean to hijack this thread but i was wondering if this is a good server case , i scored it for $68 at my local Microcenter

http://www.builderdepot.com/browse.ihtm ... reid=12114

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22